2013 ECBC Nationals date/location???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The National events in the past were rotated yearly throughout the different regions. This was to make it accessible at some time to all members of Empress. I think it is fair that the location be moved this year and it is not an impossible distance for anyone to drive. When there is a will, there is a way.

At the meeting last weekend, it became apparent that no other branches were going to bring a proposal to host the show this year. And after discussion with those in attendance, there was much support for California to host the show (or co-host with CO) and for the location to be moved to Denver, CO. So, the proposal was made and the Board voted for it.

There is an International airport for those who wish to fly and for International members to attend or bring pelts/animals... and it is a more fair driving distance for those members from the West Coast who have been having to drive 20+ hours for the last few years to attend the National.

Denver is still an 18 hour drive for me. I have driven the past two years straight to St. Joseph, MO with Shahna (and last year, with Therese from CA and Sarah from OR). From my city, one-way, it is 26 hours driving time (not including rest stops or sleep time) to St. Jo. Bill Booker has also made the 26 hour haul from Salinas. Gary Neubauer last year drove 19 hours to make it to St. Jo. (plus, additional time it took him to get through customs to bring the live animals).

I feel the location is reasonable. I feel it is unreasonable to ask for the West Coast members to drive so far year after year to support their organization. Yes, we have made the sacrifices to do it because we love this club and enjoy showing our animals and pelts and taking part in the competition but to keep it in the same location every year is an attempt to exclude some members and cater to others. I feel moving the location a bit further West this year is fair. C'mon, it's not like it's being moved to San Francisco!

Last edited:
Would make sense to rotate west coast, midwest and east coast, so at least every three years it would be convienient for members. It is asked that people show chinchillas, new breeders are ragged on to show chinchillas but I think its alot to ask of a new breeder to drive 20+ hours to show, its no wonder why most don't even though they want to.

Would make sense to rotate west coast, midwest and east coast, so at least every three years it would be convienient for members. It is asked that people show chinchillas, new breeders are ragged on to show chinchillas but I think its alot to ask of a new breeder to drive 20+ hours to show, its no wonder why most don't even though they want to.

Agreed! Ya got to give us a chance to get hooked first...then drive like mad later! LOL I have done fine so far with the MCBA events but I'd like to participate with ECBC as well. There just doesn't seem to be as much going on with them that is easily accessible out my way at least.

Last edited:

Agreed, and this is where the branch shows come in. I think it is important for a new rancher to attend their branch level shows and events - these are the local shows that should be convenient to attend. The field days and local shows are perfect for a new breeder to learn. If you do not have any shows in your area, contact the board members or branch presidents in your region. They are the ones overseeing the shows in their area - and if they aren't holding any shows, as a member, you have a right to express your opinion and let them know you would like to see shows/events in your area. I'm not saying Nationals is not for newbies (there are Junior Breeder awards on the National level as well) but I think it very important for someone new to make sure they are involved on the branch level as well.

The National is a more competitive show and as such, I don't expect it to be right in my hometown where it is most convenient for me. I want it to be in a location where other ranchers are also able to attend or in a rotating location throughout the regions.

Pookinaround, you are on the East Coast so you would be part of Region III. I would contact the branches in the Region for what events are close to you.

I see nothing wrong with having it in Denver and if I had more time off from work would more than likely make the drive. The bad part about changing jobs is that most times you do not keep the same amount of vacation time. Used to have 4 weeks, now only two and maybe less if I change jobs again. Just to many obligations and not enough time off. The other thing is that the shows need to be in an area where the people putting on the show are fairly close. Its real tough to organize and put on a show from hundreds of miles from where you live.

Last edited:
Come on people, it is my understanding we have even had a national show in Seattle. How convenient would that be for me? Half an hour drive! I know many people drove out for that. I believe the Midwest has had it good for many years recently as the national show stopped rotating around the country as it did historically.

I will be going for the first time as this show is the closest the show has been since I have started breeding, and I am very excited! I look forward to meeting many of you at what I know will be an amazing show!

I am planning on going to Nationals not to show since I am not a ECBC member. I hope to purchased some nice quality chins not that I need any more. I attended my 1st National show with Shahna two years ago in Ok. We had a great time. Between the both of us we won three raffle chins. Shahna purchased a lot of chins and I regretted not buying any. We met some very nice people. I myself enjoyed the skit I think it was the Bradfords put on sitting in a car. It was a two day drive one way for us longer for Shahna since we left from So CA.

The only reason I will not be attending is if we go see our son in Washington DC since he will be on spring break that week.

Another thing to think about with carpooling is that you don't need someone in your immediate state to carpool with! Even having someone to drive with for half the drive is better than nothing! When I went with Sumiko and Shahna to the WA show which was 18 hours, one way for me...I drove 6 hours by myself before meeting up with them.

With school, it has always been hard to take off extra days for shows. For field days, I have decided that it is not worth it anymore...but this is nationals! I am still going to be driving 15 hours one way to this show and that is the closest this show has been to me in 7 years. I have waited 7 years to have the nationals closer than 20 hours away.

Same boat as JAGS here - I have no problem at all with it being rotated to different areas. I just can't make all of them due to time and money constraints at this time. I'm not mad, just disappointed I can't show at Nationals this year as I am judging for MCBA Nationals a couple weeks later.
I've been trying to get MCBA to move Nationals, too, but that's in the immediate future.

First of all I would like to apologize to anyone who took offense at my post. I was not able to reply sooner due to being out of town and not having access to a computer. I would like to re-iterate that I was just posting my personal disappointment at the show being moved even further away from me this year as I was hoping to be able to show at Empress Nationals this year for the first time. I am not mad nor am I asking that it be moved this year, I am simply disappointed.

I too have made the long drive out just to watch and support ECBC and not show chins but I was hoping to someday be able to actually show my chins and was hoping that this would be the year as I have some awesome looking animals. It is not like St. Joseph, MO is in my backyard to begin with! The 14 hour drive time to St. Joes and two day show was daunting enough for me but to move it even further has made the possibility of showing at Nationals this year even harder for me. I am thrilled for anyone that has less travel time and respect that you have made the trip with chins in the past. I believe that is what I said in my posts.

Juanita, just FYI, the board members of the ECBC, all of whom show animals, are the people who make the decision. If you think that I'm the reason that it's being held in Denver, well, I'm flattered, but as a Progressive Member, I have NO voting privileges.

Lynn, I am aware how the vote is made and actually even why. I was simply pointing out that is one vote that I wished they would open up to the general membership to vote on to get more input from the membership that attends the show with animals, I was not saying that the board members do not. I in no way, shape or form pointed to you as the reason that the show was moved and am not quite sure where you got this idea. It is simply coincidental that you live in the area. I am also quite aware that you travel extensively to attend shows. Both MCBA and ECBC appreciate support from their members. I too generally travel 8-12 hours for shows and attend quite a few each year. I apologize to you if you took any offense, none was intended.

I feel it is unreasonable to ask for the West Coast members to drive so far year after year to support their organization. Yes, we have made the sacrifices to do it because we love this club and enjoy showing our animals and pelts and taking part in the competition but to keep it in the same location every year is an attempt to exclude some members and cater to others. I feel moving the location a bit further West this year is fair. C'mon, it's not like it's being moved to San Francisco!

Sumiko, I agree that it is not fair for the same members to have to drive over 20 hours year after year which is why I said that I thought that it should be rotated every year to a different region. Having it in Colorado this year is a disappointment for me personally as I said, I thought that it was being held in St. Joes as it has been for so many years - that was bad enough for me. Colorado is even further. It was not meant to slam anyone - just me voicing my own personal disappointment and my personal wish would be to see it rotated yearly with enough notice to give people time to plan to attend.

I realize that Somavia and others have done it for years, just as Shoots and many breeders from the midwest attended Nationals in California and other places years ago. It is a long way to transport animals. What has changed is the style of chinchilla breeding. We used to have huge ranchers attend and compete at the State & National level. Today we have few large ranchers left but there are more and more hobby breeders showing at the National level. For a big rancher it may be a disappointment to travel so far and lose an animal or two in the process but it is not a huge deal. That is a far different scenario for the hobby breeder. The loss of a few animals can set a hobby breeder back several years in their breeding program. Both ECBC and MCBA want to know what they can do to increase and keep membership. To belittle someone who voices an opinion on how they would like to see things done or that offers a suggestion is not the way to do it. To keep the National Shows inaccessible to some of the smaller breeders is also not the way to do it.

I am thrilled for those of you who now find the National show closer to home and are able to attend. I still am hoping I can figure out a way to do so. I am simply hoping and suggesting that the show be moved around to offer the same opportunity to everyone.

Juanita, no offense was taken.

It just happened that I was the one who started the thread asking where Nationals was being held, then posting excitedly when Denver was announced made ME think that anyone could think that I had some influence on the decision. I should have known it was just my imagination!!!

You do have some very nice animals, so I hope you can make it after all. Check out flying and shipping them -- with only a few it might not cost a fortune.

Like Sumiko said a lot of things need to be taken into consideration when planning the location. A large airport is a MUST because we do get a lot of people who ship their chins, as well as the international folks who come in. Also you have the task of finding someplace to hold it that will let a live animal show be held in their hotel.

Holding it centrally ideal would increase the amount of people each year over rotating, the coasts would have equal distances to drive, opposed to one year people on the one coast would have to drive or fly all the way across the US to get there which would surely decrease the attendance.

I agree that everyone encourages more newer and smaller breeders to attend, but this is a new issue that Empress has not really had to deal with in the past. In the past Empress consisted of large ranchers who were honored to be able to attend the show with their animals. This was a job, not a hobby. Attending Nationals was akin to attending a seminar for your work. I'm sure the board would be open to any suggestions if others have ideas how to make it easier for everyone to attend.

To belittle someone who voices an opinion on how they would like to see things done or that offers a suggestion is not the way to do it. To keep the National Shows inaccessible to some of the smaller breeders is also not the way to do it.

Maybe I missed something but I did not see anyone belittle anyone. The problem is there is no way to make the National show easily accessible for all small breeders because there are small breeders in every state. Traditionally Empress covered more of the Midwest and west coast, we're now having a lot of people on the east coast popping up as members, which again puts a change in logistics for planning shows.

The board members are always glad to listen to suggestions and I always encourage people to write articles for the Breeder, whether it's about feed, dust, or even ideas to encourage and promote smaller breeders. It's a great way to get the word out.

I have to say having it in St. Joe the last 2 years was nice and I was able to bring my family and they learned a lot. I am going to Denver this year but only because my mother has a friend that lives just outside of Denver and we will most likely stay with her. I am on a very small scale and will only bring one maybe two animals to Nationals but I will go because I always make sure I have enough PTO and $$ to go to shows (if I can afford to travel). But anything east of Missouri I wont go just because I have no one to go with me or to meet and I am not comfortable driving alone in a different state.

Unfortunately my husband thinks these shows are so boring that he would rather not go with me to any of them.... But I agree having it move every year, if I could go to Nationals 2 years out of 3 or 4 years that would be fine by me.

Well stated, Juanita!

I hope everyone has a wonderful time and it is a very successful show! I will miss being there, but am excited to attend the MCBA National show for the first time in a few years. May both organizations have large, competitive, educational, FUN shows this year! Good luck, everybody & travel safe! :thumbsup:

We haven't officially completed our panel of judges or the alternate. Mary Jo Bradford said that she is not in good enough health to do such a lengthy show.

According to the breeder magazine, we have Donna Read and Maxine Lynch confirmed. We are working on a lot of the details right now and will hopefully have everything finalized and announced by the end of January. We are in negotiations with a hotel for the location, so that should be finalized shortly as well.

If you want all women panel of judges, Beth Ann Connell would be an excellent replacement for Mary Jo with her expertise and experience as a judge.

Back