2012 Atlantic Chapter Show - State College, PA! April 13th-14th

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always state that the individual will be responsible for shipping charges, and work it that way. Kind of when you win a car you still have to pay taxes. If you tell them up front I am sure people will still buy some, especially if you have estimates on the shipping. Just an idea.

Totally going to get tickets for the MannaPro LOL! And yeah, my quilt while nice sized (FULL) SHOULD fit folded into a large flat rate...I mean, especially with the animals it wouldn't be possible but these days people are donating all kinds of "reasonably shipped" items.

I can't believe this show is coming up so soon already! I'm looking forward to going and seeing the new place.

Mish I'm pretty sure that I will be donating a chinchilla to the show, I just need to pick the right one. Similar to Jess I want to see how my chins do at Nationals and choose afterwards.

The Bob Myers awards are for breeders with under 10 years experience, and you have to show at least five chins of your own breeding.

Question for you Mish about the above. How is the years of experience measured and how does MCBA determine who has under 10years of experience to qualify for the Bob Myers award?

Cheryl

10 years experience in what - breeding chins or showing chins?? I started in 1994 when there was very little information about chins 'out there' It wasn't until I few years ago that I realized 'the way it should be' when I discovered the internet and this forum. I have been showing for about 5-6 years.

I sent a message to Chris asking how she envisioned enforcing the eligibility when this award began, and I'll let you know what she says, but this may end up being something we have to discuss at the next chapter meeting.

Yeah it IS something that needs to be made a little more clear with many of us coming up on the "deadline"...I've been showing chinchillas for 6yrs now (this will be my 6th) but started breeding about 8yrs ago I THINK

Last I knew it was for years raising chinchillas, not years of showing, but I could be wrong. Dave and Chris started the award to encourage newer breeders to show and reward them for raising quality animals with an award that could not be won by larger and more experienced breeders.

It does state 10 years or less breeding experience in the show ad, but there really is no way to enforce that other than the honor code. There is no record of when every breeder started. In the spirit of the award I'm in favor of keeping it that way, I don't think it was ever meant to be something to be hard-nosed about, only an encouragement to newer breeders. But if anyone thinks it's going to become a problem, we can discuss it.

Honestly, I think it's great that several of you are approaching the cutoff. It seems many breeders don't last more than a year or two, let alone 10. Graduation from eligibility should be celebrated in its own right. =)

Last edited:
Honestly, I think it's great that several of you are approaching the cutoff. It seems many breeders don't last more than a year or two, let alone 10. Graduation from eligibility should be celebrated in its own right. =)

Well said Mish!

I can't believe that 2005 was that long ago. It seems like my first show was only a year or two ago!

Cheryl

While I will be sad to not compete, I am VERY proud to not have been one of the "fly by nighters" this industry has seen. Do you know how many "regulars" to this show I've seen come and go?

This will be my first show, very excited to see how it all works. Been debating on bringing an animal to show so I know what to expect and see first hand how to groom. Is there an easier color to start showing with? Also know people put chins up for sale at the shows, could someone bring chins to sell that aren't being shown?

We don't usually have a spot to sell chins not in the show, not many people do it that way. Most sales are pre-arranged. Or sought after the awards are given.

I don't think there is one color any easier or more difficult than any other to show. Breeding is a different story, but they all get shown pretty much the same way. =)

Okay, SO it still needs the outer binding done and a few more little things BUT...wanted to give ya'll somethin' to look at ;) here's the chin quilt I'll be donating for raffle.

Attachments

• 100_1837.jpg
    100_1837.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 21
Thanks guys :) It's obviously a one of a kind item, that I hope appeals to show goers enough to raise a good deal of money. Afterall, that's the point of the raffle items!

I don't have anything to show this year, but I am very excited for the show! I have one female I may just toss in for the heck of it, I'll decide Friday if she looks ok... She is only about 5 months old. I need to recheck date but he may just make the adult class.

LOL! mine are all young, and showing it with their age-average size :( but they're gonna be shown just the same. Had a "too early" boom and a "too late" boom with few being born early summer :( it'll be good fun though!

The quilt looks great, Ange! I really like the chins! I stole that photo for the website. =)

I also want to remind everyone donating that your ads are due in a few weeks. I will be pestering you all individually soon! ;)

Latest posts

Back