Breeding horror story

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinniechantel

So, all those thinking about breeding- read this first. And all the other threads just like it.

My big TOV girl I have had for 7 years had 2 gorgeous black velvet babies on Friday. Everything was fine, one was big- 70 grams, the other tiny- 31. Both boys. The next day, she must have turned on them, for no reason. The big boy was bleeding from the mouth and ears, and the little one looked like his eyes were poked out, and he was twisting in circles like he was rolling down a hill all the time. It was just horrible. I obviously took them from mom, tried to clean them up, and started handfeeding, knowing they would both die. The big one died within 12 hours, the little one is still hanging in there.

By the way he would twist around, my husband swore he had a broken neck. But I did not think so. He could move all his legs, and I just prayed it was something off with his balance. His ear looked injured, so maybe his balance is off? So I kept feeding him, every hour since he is so small it is hard to get milk in him. Kept praying and feeding, feeding and crying. I am really emotional right now, and this little guy is tugging hard on my heart strings.

So far, he is hanging in there. He is a fighter, that is for sure. He cannot see anything, I am pretty sure he will be blind in both eyes if he makes it, but now has stopped the rolling! He stands normally and cuddles his cuddle buddy in his cage next to my bed on a heating pad. He is maintaining weight, and even gained a gram! Pray for this little one please- I don't often get this attached to kits but this one is something extra special. I named him Pipsqeek because he is so loud for how tiny he is.

Just so you know- this is HARD. I deal with a lot of hard things in my life, but watching this is hard. Seeing a poor little blind baby trying to find his mommy, but knowing she will kill him. Praying each time I open his cage that he is still alive, that he will just make it one more day. Having to bury his brother and know I will most likely have to burry him too. It sucks. Not all fuzzy cute babies. Not a happy valentine's day crying and handfeeding every hour.

Sorry to hear what you are going through and I know first hand how heart breaking it can be.

And this is about her 12th litter, never had a problem before. And of course, 2 black velvets when she has thrown me only ONE in 7 years!

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It is never easy, is it? I've got the little guy in my thoughts and prayers.

Sorry for what you are having to go through Chantel. I totally understand how hard it is to go through something like this. Breeding takes a lot of strength, both physically and emotionally. With all the cute babies and such, we often forget that with the joys of breeding also comes lots of heartbreak, sleepless nights, and plain old hard work.

I'm sorry to hear about your kits. I hope the lil one pulls through for you. It sounds like he suffered a head injury by the sounds of him turning in circles. I am sending lots of prayers for you lil one.

Jessica

i am soo sorry for you, for the babies, for mom... these are the type of cases that bring me closest to just throwing in the towel. it just breaks your heart and there are times that i think i just cannot handle yet another broken heart.

hugs.

So sorry this happened to you, Chantel. I know you really have your hands full, too!

Oh Chantel, I am so sorry. Those poor babies. Please keep us updated on little Pipsqueak; I sure hope he makes it.

On the up side Chantel, if this little guy hangs in there, he'll be fine blind. I have a boy whose mom turned on him as well (I'm assuming, the rancher wasn't sure) and he lost both eyes and has no ears, and he's a happy little guy with a best friend.

Good luck with him and I'm sorry about the loss of his brother.

I am so sorry for your heartbreak and loss, hugs. Best wishes for Pipsqueak.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Prayers said for you little one. Your story is very painful. Last spring I took in a rescue pair. Had no idea she was pregnant. I spared my young daughter this story and she will never know because she thought we only had the two boy kits. But I wanted to add that Ava had three kits. She mauled one after a healthy birth and it was too awfull to print here. The kit was still alive and I rushed it to the vet to put it down. Even writing this today still hurts. I feel so burned by the lady. She told me if they had kits to take them to a pet store across town. Well the boys went together to a wonder chin savy home. I can only tell you that I held the kit and kept my feelings in check. Gave the little one all the contact and comfort that could be given and stayed with him while they used the gas to put him to sleep before he could be put down. It was a comfort to talk to him and assure him he was loved. The little one talked to me to the end. The little sweety is buried here at home. I'll breed in the future one day with quality animals. But breeding can bring some terrible heart break. Hugs to you and rest your heart knowing you have done everything good to the little doll.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about the bigger kit, but any news? How's the little one doing?

I am so sorry for what you are going though! How is the guy doing? This wost thing about breeding, always make me think really hard why I breed. Big Hugs :hug2:

Update-
He is hanging in there. I am surprised every hour I go to feed him that he is still alive. He has stopped the rolling, but is still very wobbly. I do think he is blind- I put warm compresses and tried to open them, and I saw blood and white cornea type material. Who knows, I am glad you shared that Peggy- I knew there were some blind chins that did just fine.

My hubby is being so nice and will be hand feeding him every 2 hours while I am at work, we both are just in love with this little guy. He is pooing and peeing a little, which is great I finally saw it so I am sure. He seems eager to eat, and is keeping weight, I think he may be up a gram now. We have him snuggled in fleece with a cuddle buddy and he seems to be doing ok now. Keep praying for him- the next couple days are the most telling I think. Thanks so much for the kind words everyone, you are such great friends to have!

Latest posts

Back