How to grip the tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
I figured this would be a good visual reference for new owners as to how to properly grip the base of the tail when holding a chinchilla. You want to grip firmly, but not extremely tight.

Thank Cuda for being a good model :D

Just want to note, wrapping the thumb around the tail makes it a bit easier like in the last pic than how I have my thumb in the first two pictures.

Attachments

• 100_0645.jpg
    100_0645.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 100_0646.jpg
    100_0646.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_0647.jpg
    100_0647.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 146
My breeder said that they like to be held upside down is that true? I wouldn't think so, but she said they do that at chinchilla shows.

They don't like it, no. They hold them upside down at chin shows to aid in grooming, but a lot of people only do it briefly to help fluff the fur and make it stand up.

How would you like being carried around upside down? Just because you're holding them by the tail doesn't mean you have to dangle them. You should support their body weight still. The purpose of gripping the tail at its base is to provide strong control against the chin getting away.

Sometimes though, holding them upside down like that calms them. When I have to inspect something on one of my girls I will hold them upside down, there's no harm in it.

Oh, hm, well I don't know, maybe I have calm girls. None of them fight me when they are upside down.

When the vet said that we did it maybe a few times, my chin didn't do anything. It looks just plain cruel though.

Sometimes though, holding them upside down like that calms them. When I have to inspect something on one of my girls I will hold them upside down, there's no harm in it.

Mine are the same. I have a chin who hates to be held, but once I dangle him upside down he completely calms down. I usually do it if I am about to do a hair ring check or to look him over.

Calms mine, immediatly, although the first time I saw it done, kinda freaked me out!

I don't like to do it but sometimes it's good to know how to hold the chinchilla by the tail. Great thread. It's ok to hold them upside down for a little but I like to use my other hand to support the chin.

Maybe mine are just spazzes who hate being held upside down lol.

Spry, it's recommended holding the base so they don't get away or jump and fall and hurt themselves. It's also the recommende way of grabbing them because if you grab around their bodies, it can crush their ribs. So while you may not like holding their tail, it's safer for them in many ways.

Nicole (Riven) taught me how to hold two chins at once, which comes in handy here. You grab their tails and set them on your arm facing your elbow. It keeps them both secured and if you are only holding one you have a free hand. :)

Nicole (Riven) taught me how to hold two chins at once, which comes in handy here. You grab their tails and set them on your arm facing your elbow. It keeps them both secured and if you are only holding one you have a free hand

I've tried something like this, but they start quarreling.

I figured this would be a good visual reference for new owners as to how to properly grip the base of the tail when holding a chinchilla. You want to grip firmly, but not extremely tight.

Thanks for this, I was wondering how best to hold onto my chinchillas tail without hurting/distressing him.

Back