WTB Cardboard Transport Carrier

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kylelemler

Anyone have any suggestions on what boxes they use/used to transport chinchillas. I would like to find boxes I could send young kits or adults to their new pet homes. Thank you!

Priority Mail flat rate boxes work - I always have customers who decide that they don't need to bring a carrier after I tell them to, so I keep a bunch of the boxes on hand just in case - poke about 20 holes in them and put shavings in the bottom - never had any issues with them.

Thank you for the suggestion. We had a customer here Thursday that worked for petsmart and she brought a cardboard carrier from work and a cat carrier. She ended up buying two animals and put both in the cat carrier and left the box here for us. And on Friday had a customer that needed a box to take one home in and I liked having a box with a handle and holes. But we too have used whatever boxes we had around at the time.

There's some equipment supply companies out there that sell the small animal transport boxes. I've used them before, they are very convenient and professional. But, I use all sorts of boxes that I have around. Like Tiffany I put in shavings or a towel in the bottom and it works fine. You don't want someone transporting the chins in something like that for more than a few hours but for most customers it works great. :)

I will see if I can find some of the carry boxes online....those store flat and make it easy. I bet we could buy them from a local humane society or animal shelter. (Then again...free boxes do carry a certain appeal....)

http://www.amazon.com/YML-Cardboard-Carrier-Small-Animals/dp/B0089JBXXM

Amazon has a bunch of them. Some of them are very pretty, but I would worry about how sturdy they are....are they cardboard or thin paperboard, it's hard to tell.

I like the pretty ones with all the animals on them....but the plain ones probably are more sturdy. It looks like there are some good deals on them. :)

I use the priority mail boxes as well, with holes poked in. I store most of em flat and just open up a few and put in shavings so I have them ready. They're free, and a decent size to put a chin in.

I don't have $60 for carriers when the postal service hands them out free and they are thicker cardboard. I could go get another wheel instead.

AZchins: I saw that box on amazon this morning and liked the size and price, but the reviews were terrible. So I thought I would check with the experts on here.

I haven't used them. Years ago I used some really nice heavy duty cardboard carriers from Da Mars. I can't find them anywhere...they were very inexpensive and worked well.

I have been using cardboard boxes for years now when people forget to bring a carrier for their new chins. I'll definitely let you know if I find something really good for a good price.

Back