wow preparing wood is TIME consuming share your experiences!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerri101

Phew...I have been hounding my S.O. for weeks....I harvested two small birch trees ....and carried them down the hill all alone...they was heavy!!! cut the tree in sections that I wanted for different things....started with twigs chews. inspection..scrubbing ...boiling ...baking OH MY TAKES SO LONG LOL!!!!!!! does it get easier ??

Im almost at the baking stage I just got super crazy with inspecting and scrubbing Im parniod my chin will eat a bug LOL

does any one have any wood stories share !!!

honestly I feel accomplished that I did this its a good feeling

Just wait til your chins turn their nose up at all your hard work! I spent days trimming,cleaning and prepping pecan wood only to find out that none of my 5(at the time) guys would do anything other than take two nibbles and throw it back at me!

Just wait til your chins turn their nose up at all your hard work! I spent days trimming,cleaning and prepping pecan wood only to find out that none of my 5(at the time) guys would do anything other than take two nibbles and throw it back at me!

OHhh noooo LOL that is crazy none of the 5 liked it!!! I know that is why I started with a small batch of twigs.....if my chin-chin likes it then I will move on to some toy materials for her as we speak shes chibbling away on willow... fingers crosses the birch is something she likes I agree the trimming and cleaning takes a while and for the time I was doing it got a small thing of sticks!!!

I hate it personally, customers bring me trunk loads of apple twigs and branches, I am excited at first then reality sets in.

Yup agree buying prepared wood is soooo much easier !!!! I finally after 6 hours got some twigs.......the oven bake was long as well luckily the heat here has gone down to 50 degrees at night so I baked while it was cool...I did get exercise which is good but am now looking at the huge pile that I begged for and thinking NoooooOOOOo now I feel like I have to do something considering the mess I made giggle...

chinchilla sticks my family said I am NUTS and that I really LOVE my chinchilla LOL

206087_3130142670932_297739352_n.jpg

And people wonder why wood isn't "cheaper"!

^the reason a lot of people give in and buy it lol

yes I am all for paying I will pay for some now and do small projects!

I hate it personally, customers bring me trunk loads of apple twigs and branches, I am excited at first then reality sets in.

OHHH MY I saw your wood and I am floored That is a LOT of wood faint!!!!!!!!!!

It is very time consuming. I used to think wood was expensive until I started processing it, now I understand the price! I hope your chin loves birch for a long time!

I got as far as cutting a few branches off a tree before I decided I didn't want to deal with it...never even made it inside with them. :D

The only wood I can get for myself is pecan, and none of my stinkers like it!! So I ship it to Sally and trade it for applewood, lol. That way I just have to cut it up and box it up, and she gets to do the rest of the work. :D

The best part of processing wood is not "being able to cook a meal for the family" since the stove/oven/table,whole kitchen is covered in wood! LOL!:dance3:

I have only one chin and a couple of small apple trees so I have plenty of wood available to prepare. But to make it less of an ordeal, since I don't need so much at one time, I only prepare enough to fill a cookie sheet. Even though I give ample wood to Tink, this still lasts me awhile before I have to prep more.

That's why my selling of wood is so spaced out, I get burnt out and need to take breaks :)

I worked about 8 hours once a long time ago, had a bunch of yummy wood and it molded!! I didn't bake it long enough

I know I was def worried about that I have been over obsessing and I think making myself INSANE over scrub times...looking at each piece of wood to make sure its safe ect ect

but I must say after seeing my buckets of soon to be finished product I cant help but feel like I have done something I am kind of proud...I confess we did find blackberry and I did like three shoots and picked the thorns but am like blackberry is DEF over dedication I am so not going there !!! well I am thinking not to be now its like a challenge LOL!

If I start dreaming of wood things then ill know to stopmyself!!!!

I have a ton of apple wood from when hubby trimmed the trees... I managed to cut it into sizes.... got fed up and there it sits in my basement in a pile *sigh*

I wish I had people who did this live closer to me ....we could all get together and have wood cleaning/trimming /baking parties LOL them maybe if we all did it together it would be funner !!!

Latest posts

Back