Would you show or put into breeding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMSChins

Hendryx Chinchillas
For those of you who have a lot of experience with showing your animals, I have a question.

I have a standard female here with a birthdate of 10/31/11. I am torn as to whether or not to put her into breeding or to continue to treat her as a grower for my show string for MCBA Nationals.

She is extremely nice and took GSC at the fall MCBA Wisonsin Show back in October while she was in full prime (or just coming out of it). I showed her in Jenera a couple of weeks ago, an ECBC show and she took a 1st Place (what I expected since she is no longer in prime). According to anything I know or have read or been told, she should be in the midst of her 2nd prime in April.

Would you show her at MCBA Nationals (date is 3/16/13) or would she really not be able to compete with animals at the National level that may be in their first prime (which I have also heard is ideal).

If I put her into breeding and all goes well, she could possibly litter by May or June which would give me babies that are a good age for Nationals next year.

Thoughts both pro and con for those of you who have shown animals this age. Thanks for your input.

ETA: I do realize that priming is very individual for each animal and there is no way to know what kind of show condition she will actually be in by Nationals, I am just looking for broad opinions.

I don't have that type of experience. But I would go out and live my own experience with her.

Heck I remember a male BV that was I believe 9 years of age was shown. If I am not mistaken he won a 2nd or 1st.

I've shown animals that old at Natl's and they have done well. More often, my problem is the older they are and the more car trips I take with them, the harder time I have getting them to recover from the trip (weight loss) and breed.
Do you particularly need her for your numbers/points for the show? If not, I'd probably just stick her in breeding since you've already got show results and judges comments on her. Get the next generation going!

I wouldn't show her. She's already proven on the table that she is quality more than once. Unless you need a points animal to compete for a award I wouldn't take her. I have shown older animals I've bought before I put them into breeding. I had a 4 yr old pinkwhite male who was shown in the mosaic classs take a rcc. Some chins age better than others.

I wouldn't show her. At this point I would get her started in breeding, and hope you may get kits for next season out of her. She's proven herself, and you already have a good understanding of quality-- why cart her along when you can get her producing :)

Do you plan on competing for the standard breeder award? With her quality regardless of her prime condition she will almost certainly bring a first place or better which would help your points. If not I would get her into breeding as soon as possible as we already know she is a great animal and when held out for to many shows my experiance has been slow to get them to start breeding.

I could go either way. Probably lean more towards putting her in breeding but I do know from my own experience that some lines of Shoots look better at an older age. I think the grand show last yr was a 14 mos old male if I'm not mistaken.

While I don't have the personal experience I vote breeding.... Sounds like a question of points now vs. production and more than likely even MORE points later... You could consider it an investment towards next year...

Thanks to all who have shared their opinion/experiences.

I really don't need comments on her as I already have a place reserved for her in my breeding program and have the perfect male to compliment her (or so I hope)! :)

I guess I would need her for points more than anything as I will have at least 12 to show this year in the standard category. I know it is impossible to compete against the big guys for a breeder award at Nationals, especially if they are showing a full string so honestly I always and only compete against myself for points. As long as my point average is going up from year to year, then I know that I am headed in the right direction and moving towards my goals.

She is actually out of a line that looks relatively smooth despite where she is in the course of prime but I am realistic in that she cannot compete against a younger animal in full prime. With a small herd the odds are low that I will ever have a spectacular animal in full prime on the date that a National show will be held. She is probably as nice as I have produced and really I just want to see how she will compete at the National level - just bad luck that she wasn't born a few months later!

On the other hand, if I do show her, she will be 16 1/2 months old before I put her into breeding and that worries me as well. Her dam died after delivering her last litter so I would hate for her to not be able to produce for me, being the last of that line.....I have never been good at making lifes little decisions!

Juanita, there was a 10 year old chin shown at the CA ECBC show and she did well...can't remember her placement, but the judges had to double check her birthday because she looked so good!!!

Juanita, there was a 10 year old chin shown at the CA ECBC show and she did well...can't remember her placement, but the judges had to double check her birthday because she looked so good!!!

Thanks Lynn. I have decided to hold her out and see how she does as far as what state of prime she is in by March. Hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. Hopefully she will still breed for me. I have had older females give me their first litter here so hoping that trend continues.

We seldom show our females, unless they are ones that we plan on selling at the show. We have had enough experience to show that it nearly always takes females that have been to show longer to get bred than those that have not. This is somewhat true of the males as well but it does not seem to effect them as much. This of course depends on how many hours it takes to get to the show, how many days the show lasts and how soon you can get them back home. Most of the shows we attend are a nine to twelve hour drive to get there. I would definitely get her into breeding. By the way, we just won First Place Breeders Award at the California State ECBC show in Jan. and one of the animals I entered was a Pink White born in 2004. She won Reserve Class Champion. I am retiring her, but just had to show her once since she is still so beautiful, even in her old age. Good luck!

I have never had an issue with females from a show taking longer to breed, in fact I've found that if I bring them home and open them into a run after the last show it will often bring them into heat and I will have a litter sooner.

My females DO tend to take longer to produce after being shown as well. Not sure why. The males it doesn't affect, had one male last season. He was shown just under 7mos. Put in breeding within a week (at 7mos) and had the 4 females in his run pregnant within a month.

Back