Wooden Perches

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jyss

I was looking at the thread with the pictures of cages in there and came across the cage with the big branches as climbing tools in there. I was just wondering, how would you sterilize such a big branch? I have a ton of willow and apple branches that are just sitting in my basement that I would LOVE to put in the boys' cages, but I just don't know how to make them safe if they wont fit in the oven. And the branches in the said cage didn't look like they'd fit...

If it were me I would scrub it really good with super hot water and leave it in the sun until it was completely dry. While I am all for boiling and baking wood that they are going to nibble on, I think it would be OK as long as it was scrubbed and completely dried. As far as I know, Pet Products by Nature simply scrub and let sun dry their wood chew items and I have never had any issues with their products.

That's wonderful, and extremely helpful! These branches can finally go to some use! Thanks so much!

That's what I thought too, so long as you scrubbed them really well. I use one of those metal scrub brushes for grills, and let it dry I would think it'd be okay. It sounds like they haven't been on a tree for a while anyways.

Although if it were me, I think I'd wait til it warmed up to let them sit in the sun, so at least they get warm and dry quicker.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. I think at the moment the water would just freeze onto the sticks =P

Or if you're in the cold areas, just put branches abot 2 feet away from the furnace - they'll dry pretty fast!

Oh I can do that? Hmmm, that would make these branches go to use a lot quicker...:thinking:

Back