Why

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica

I have a friend that works at a daycare/preschool and she wanted to get some class pets and opted for chinchillas. I told her that chins do not make good class room pets because they are nocturnal, skittish and generally hate loud. Plus they aren't likely to sit in a 5 year old's lap to be pet. I suggested to her guinea pigs, rabbits, fish or rats which all make great class pet choices. But her excuse was guinea pigs and rabbits are too smelly, rats are sickening to her and fish are boring. She ignored me and got chinnies anyway and now she's complaining that the chinnies don't like being held they aren't doing all the cute things that my chinnie does and they make barking noises that disrupt her class.
Now she wants to get rid of them and to stop her from dumping the chins on my doorstep I actually went and spent the better of two days to find a rescue to take them we lucked out and found a great place the suck part was she ended up having to delve out $150 for each chin for the place to take them. She's so mad because she lost a lot of money on their set up and then to give them up (and their cage and supplies) to the rescue. I told her I have no sympathy for her and that she should have listened to me in the beginning and gotten something like a guinea pig. Now she doesn't have the money even for pet rocks. I hate it when people don't listen to me about stuff like this.

Some people just get the "I wants'' and won't listen to reason. Personally, I don't feel sorry for her either. Maybe next time she'll listen.

I say she totally deserved to lose all that money; since just hearing good advice from someone with experience wasn't enough to make her think of the good of the animals, maybe a huge gouge in her wallet will prevent something similar in the future. I have no sympathy for her either.

I would have taken them both if they weren't females. They were both nice looking dark phased standards with thick plushy fur. I was tempted but I wanted to make this hurt her so she'd learn something.

Did it work...?
Personnally I don't think it did because I believe she had no attachment to these chins. If it was the money that hurt her, then maybe she is not meant to pets cause they will always require money somehow.

To be honest I don't know if it hurt her or not. I know she was upset about loosing all that money because the whole way back from the rescue place she complained about it. But think about it what is she going to say to her class monday when they see no chinnies. I think the expression on all the kids faces will upset her if losing some pets didn't. Kids like animals and generally get very attatched quickly. I know if I got rid of my chinnie my son would be upset and confused as to why.

I forgot to add.... classroom pets usually ALWAYS became mine at the end of summer, lol. I was the only kid in class to spend lots of time with them, be gentle with them, and I was the one to always volunteer my breaks to feed and water them, as well as clean their cages. I would of been saddened if they just had vanished one day.

I am a teacher and I originally got chins to have at school with me. The spent several years there, had a couple of litters and did just fine.

Contrary to what many people say, chins adapt very well to many situations. They will adjust their sleep schedule as needed. Mine had a house to sleep in. When they wanted to be out visiting with the kids, they were. If they wanted to sleep, we left them alone. As far as noise, my barn has the radio playing 24/7, so school isn't a whole lot different. It's not like there is a bunch of yelling all of the time!

I am not saying that everyone should have chins for classroom pets. It has to be the right person and the right situation. I knew I could control things. The chins were always safe. They came out of their cage only when I took them out. The kids didn't hold them, but did get to pet them. The kids learned what chins were and how they acted, but not at the expense of the chins.

I still have my first pair. She is now 14 years old, and he is 13. They live here instead of at school, but are still together and very happy!

I agree. I have a couple of chins that actually enjoy daytime play. They are alert and happy on and off all day long. We don't wake them up, but alot of times we can go into the chin room and we'll find them awake during the day. It's not related to noise either- the kids are in school. That's just them. I think it depends on the chin. I do have a few that enjoy their daytime sleeping hours too. They sleep all day and will give the mean, grumpy stare if you wake them. I don't think that noisr bothers my chins at all though. They're used to a loud, busy household during the evening and even during the day sometimes.

I"m curious about this having to pay for the rescue to take them. Do they also charge to adopt them out? That sounds like a lot of money per chin to be taking in if they are running a rescue. I mean that's great and all, but most rescues take in UNWANTED pets, that people could just give away, or let go outside because they don't want them. I don't understand how such a surrender fee is helpful to helping animals in need for owners who won't pay that to surrender a chin.

Guess she learned the hardway and learned an expensive lesson. Chinchillas would not make good classroom pets at all. I have 2 rabbits and they are not smelly at all. I keep their cages clean, just like my 2 chinnies. I just don't think that classroom pets are a good idea. It never ends up good for the animal.

The reason they charge so much to take them is so if there is any health problems they are atleast somewhat covered for a vet visit in the case of that place. They charge like a 50-75 dollar adoption fee. I think it's reasonable and if it were me i would charge an intake fee. I'm doing this person a service by taking in the animal they don't want anymore.

I'm doing this person a service by taking in the animal they don't want anymore.

Yes, you are, but it's not about doing the person a service. It's about helping the animal. What if a person didn't have $75.00 to turn their chin in? Would they turn them away? I take in rescues now and again. I've never asked for a fee for doing it and I never will. I understand there can be vet bills, but that's part of a rescue's job. If they don't want to pay vet bills, don't take in rescue animals.

With a high price tag like that, no wonder so many chins are ending up at humane societies and other inappropriate places.

At Wee Companions we ask for a donation with relinquished animals. The reality is, we rarely get anything. It would be wonderful to get a donation with each animal to help with their care until they are adopted. Bottom line is, that most people won't pay to relinquish an animal. They feel they are doing you a favor by "donating" their animal and whatever supplies to your rescue. As if they think we normally go out and buy our stock. :hmm:

We don't demand a relinquish fee because it is all about what is best for the animal. Too many people when faced with having to pay to give up an animal would rather "set it free" than have to pay.

I've never gotten a penny on a surrendered animal. I also rarely get supplies that are decent enough to use. The only money I get is if I get a donation (very, very rarely) and the adoption fee I charge.

I take in rescues on occassion but have never asked for anything in return from the surrendering owner. I do it for the chin, not for the previous irresponsible owner with a thousand excuses of why they can't find them a new home on their own, and why they can't keep them. People do make mistakes, don't get me wrong, and I am glad that they turn it over to a rescue rather than neglecting them or setting them free. But, when you rescue an animal, I feel that there shouldn't be that high of a fee. That's kind of steep. I can understand making a small donation, but $75 per animal is a little high.

Last edited:
I see what you guys are all saying but this girl did something very foolish in buying those chinnies. As far as that rescue goes I don't know why they charge like that and that was the excuse that was given when we asked. They were the only people that had the space available as far as these places go. So she had no other choice. My friend would have set them free or dumped them on my doorstep if I didn't do all this with her. Ofcourse I would have taken them in and found homes for them in time on my own. But I wanted her to go through all this because i gave her sound advice and she didn't listen to me. As far as the rescue's pricing goes and their ethics I can understand them but then again now as I'm seeing some of the comments on here I'm starting to think otherwise. I'm still sort of annoyed with what she did too. I mean why get an animal and then want to get rid of it? It makes no sense to me at all. I'm the kind of person who puts tons of thought into getting a pet and if I decide it's not best best for me to have a pet or a new one at the moment i don't go through with getting it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back