Why get a wheel at all?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron Sciarri

Earlier when i was reading about those plastic balls and how they were bad someone mentioned that chins don't naturally run they hop and bounce and whatever...so why does everyone keep saying get them a wheel in one thread and then in another thread say that running isn't their natural movement...i watch my chin a lot and she doesn't seem to run anywhere she just hops...she has about 7 feet of hopping space does that seem sufficient to forget about this whole wheel idea completely?

7 feet is plenty of room. I have a wheel to amuse my girls. They sort of do an odd run/hop in their wheels. I know they like it and I hear them in it at night when I'm asleep. Honestly, they would be fine with or without the wheel. It's really your choice.

my boys are just fine without wheels, but i am going to eventually get a chin spin for them when (hopefully!) they live in the same cage. if not, the wheel will get switched between cages periodically. but if they never get a wheel, they won't be suffering any either.

Mine love their wheels. I have 2 cages that don't have them in it because they are for my pregnant females they still enjoy jumping on the shelves.

The balls are more than just an unnaturally small running position, they are hot, clammy, and the chins get covered in their own excrement. Chin wheels are oversized and allow a full range of motion for the chin (because they do extend to run).

When you say seven feet of hopping space, do you mean cubic feet or height? Because 7 cubic feet is not a whole lot (could be a cage that is 2x2x1.75.)

I don't have wheels at all in with any of my chins. I've had issues with them injuring chins in the past and it is just easier not to deal with them at all. The chins don't mind not having them, they can't really miss a wheel since none of them have ever had one. They make sure to get enough exercise in their cages and when they have their playtime out of the cages. A wheel definitely isn't a necessity, chins can thrive and be healthy without one.

i mean 7 linear feet basically...i have a 36" tall cage that's 2' x 2' wide and it's attached to a playpen that's 48" in diameter...basically her fun thing to do is to start out up at the top of her cage where her food dish is and jump down the ledges and bolt out of her cage and run the playpen in a circle and then run back up in her cage up to her food dish...she gets a lot of exercise for only being a few months old...i just got her one of those 57" playpens to put her in for visiting time...it just came in today...but i read somewhere that a 4 month old chin doesn't need as much exercise as a full grown one so i figure she's ok for now...i still have a lot of purchasing to do for her larger playpen so that she has different things to do than she has in her own area...i'm just trying to curb the costs at some point since she's already cost close to 500 dollars so far lol

Wheel... not to wheel... I agree with Susan.

Now while chins may not normally "run"... I'm going to have to disagree with that. If you don't believe me come over some time while a chin is out and you can see how fast it can run from one side of the chin building to the other while I'm trying to catch it! I do have some who regularly escape, and they usually jump out to be caught because they think it's a game, but yes... chins do run. As far as having to have a wheel... not required. Exercise is good for anyone, whether you're running on a treadmill ( wheel ) or on the road ( play pen )

Wheels aren't necessary. However most chins LOVE them. The big difference with the ball and wheels is the chin can jump off the wheel whenever he/she wants

some chins like wheels some dont....I dont have a wheel and my chin has ledges that she jumps all over as well as exercise time outside her cage....as long as you have a cage with ample room for them to move and jump around they will be ok.....its just a personal preference....my chin hooped when she first got playtime now she Runs very fast all over and surfs off the walls lol

I have always had wheels, in the 12 years I have had many chins no issues or injuries and all used them.

I have a saucer for my girls, but my new baby boy doesn't have a wheel. I ordered one about a month ago to coordinate with him joining our family, however, they haven't bothered to ship it yet.

Although I know that the wheel isn't absolutely necessary, my girls love it and my boy has way too much energy and whirls around his cage at top speed when I'm in bed. I think I need a wheel to help him use us his pent up energy :)

My chin does not have a wheel, although I'm hoping to get her one at some point. A wheel is not necessary, but it would still be nice, especially for those days when it is impossible to let her out for playtime. My chin is also a fur chewer so I'm hoping a wheel might help. But even if it doesn't, chins love to be on the move, (can't really say running since they hop lol) and a wheel gives them the freedom to do this even when you cannot.

I have a flying saucer for my Tinkerbell and she uses it everyday. For me, it was the best investment ever for her.

All 3 of my chins love their wheels - and it makes me feel less guilty for not getting them out for playtime since we don't have any "chin-safe" areas for them to be out. They get plenty of exercise on their wheels.

I have a saucer for my girls, but my new baby boy doesn't have a wheel. I ordered one about a month ago to coordinate with him joining our family, however, they haven't bothered to ship it yet.

Although I know that the wheel isn't absolutely necessary, my girls love it and my boy has way too much energy and whirls around his cage at top speed when I'm in bed. I think I need a wheel to help him use us his pent up energy :)

How old is your new "baby boy?" He should not have a wheel until 6 months or so.

I have two chins one likes the wheel while the other rather just hang out.

They need at least that first 6 months to grow. You want them to conserve as many of the calories they take in as possible! I have one girl that is really small so I didn't give her a wheel until she was about 10 months old because I felt she needed that extra time.

I'm with Riven. On a good day my chins are all over the place like lightning. I'd call that running. I keep a wheel in my cage because sometimes I just can't keep them out for as long as they need, and they need the stimulation. If they didn't get out for playtime and I didn't have a wheel....oh, believe me....they would let me know it. Bored chinnys are not happy chinnys and the wheel at least is something for them to work out on. They use it without fail every day, so I say let them have it. I've never had any problems with injuries and my chin has had his for almost 10 years (knock on wood).

On a different note, I may be crazy, but I am sure that they use the wheel sometimes to communicate. If Miles wants is upset (i.e. cleaning time), or wants attention or a treat he will run like a MADMAN on the wheel, trying to make it as loud as possible. Most of the time he does a casual romp, but when he wants to be loud, boy I know it. Chins are so weird.

Back