White-beige or White-violet?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristine

White-beige or white violet? Dad carries genes for both, so I get confused...

Attachments

• MBCH12&13Z17Aug2010c.jpg
    MBCH12&13Z17Aug2010c.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 58
  • MBCH12&13Z17Aug2010a.jpg
    MBCH12&13Z17Aug2010a.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 55
  • MBCH12&13Z17Aug2010d.jpg
    MBCH12&13Z17Aug2010d.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 51
Well, beige is not normally a carried gene, they either have it and show it or aren't beige. They don't look to have any violet influence, could possibly be violet carriers.

What was mom and dad?

The last pic seems to show a bit of a beige masking on his face, so I'd go with pink white (white beige). Also, (I could be wrong), white violets usually have "violet" ears, which your guy doesn't seem to have. You'll probably be able to tell better as he gets older and gets more (or less) color to him.

They don't look to have violet. If the father is a violet carrier as you stated, they are possible violet carriers. They would be pink whites, possible v/c.

What color are the parents?

Thanks for your quick replies!

The mom is a standard v/c and the dad is a pink-white v/c, with some beige markings on him. They have had violet kits in the past. I thought these kits were pink-white with a little beige at first, but it's so hard to tell when there's just a hint of the colour there.

Here's a photo of dad...

Attachments

• MacDuff29Aug09.jpg
    MacDuff29Aug09.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 33
Maybe those are violet markings on MacDuff (dad), and not beige. That would be even more confusing for me.

Dad is just a violet carrier and so is mom. His markings are due to the beige gene. Since he only has one violet gene, he does not have any violet markings.

Their kits are all pink whites, possible v/c... although there is a 50% chance that they do carry violet. Violet has to be homozygous (they would have to receive a violet gene from both parents) in order for the color to show on the animal, otherwise they are carriers.

One of them looks like a pink white, so it would be a pw poss v/c. However the lighter one doesnt look quite as similar. It may be a pw violet? PW violets can be marked like mosaics, but in the beige violet coloring. It is possible with that pairing, but it may just end up being a PW pv/c. Grow them out and their colors will show a lot more. As of now, be safe and call them pink white possible v/c's

Having had both white violets and pink whites born here with little to no markings I can confidently say that both your babies are pink whites possible v/c. As mentioned they are possible v/c's because they have a 50% chance of carrying violet. Violet is a recessive gene and must be in homozygous form to show through in the phenotype. Violet carrier means that the animal carries on violet gene, so it's in the heterozygous form and can't show through in the phenotype.

Cute babies! Congrats!

I bred MacDuff and he is simply and only a vc, and not a pink/white/violet.

I have one pink/white violet here right now and one pink/white/vc.

Can be a bit confusing at times, unless you're really looking, but the two in the pics, I have to agree with Tabitha and say they are both pink/white/poss. vc's. I don't see any violet on either in those pics. Congrats on the kits, Kristine.

Actually, any kits from these parents have a 75% chance of ending up with the violet gene (25% violet, 50% violet carrier, 25% no violet gene). If the kits aren't violets, they have a 2 in 3 chance of being violet carriers.

I don't get what you're trying to say, Minrex. If both parents did not pass the violet gene (which...neither offspring shows violet so they can't have both passed it down) then the offspring still has a 50% chance of inheriting one violet gene. They either did get the violet gene, or they didn't...there's no third choice there. So it would still be a 50% chance of inheriting a single violet gene.

I get what minrex is saying. Theoretically, the kits would have a 25% chance of being violet. However, since there is no violet showing, they are not in that 25%, and therefore only have a chance of being either v/c or not having any violet genes at all.

Last edited:
Thanks! There are actually four rascals in this litter. The other two are a standard girl and a really pink-white boy with no other colour on him at all. =o)

Latest posts

Back