Which Food Is Better?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chicolane16

Kaytee Fiesta Chinchilla Food or Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe Food?

Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe.

Kaytee Fiesta is horrible food. Not only does it not contain quality ingredients, there are all kinds of treats in there that chins do not need.

Other good chin feeds are Mazuri and high quality show rabbit feeds such as Manna Pro Sho or Purina Show Rabbit.

Is this a joke? If not I'm sorry, but the 100% consensus will be the Oxbow. The Kaytee is full of all kinds of "treats" they shouldn't have.

Thanks, me and my friend was arguing today about which is best, I said Oxbow and she said Fiesta, see I did my research :)

between the two Oxbow is better. Kaytee ANYTHING is not the best for chinchillas. I personally would not recommend Mazuri as my chins did not do well on it, however several forum members use Mazuri and have no issues with it. I give my chins Nutrena Rabbit pellet and they love it and have done very well on it.

Ditto on the Oxbow! My boys are doing really well on it. A rule of thumb, any chinchilla pellet food with "veggie/fruits" in it is crappy feed.

:) I went to petsmart today and I saw a white mosaic female, and i fell in love :)
If shes still there when I get my cage and it all set up I'll get her :)

Have you checked craigslist for chinchillas? There may be a chinchilla in your area that needs to be adopted. I personally am against supporting PetSmart's animal sales.

I currently us Nutri-phase for my chins and hopefully will be picking up some Oxbow this weekend to begin switching them to that. I left out a bowl of Fiesta Mix during play time and Roxy went through it and threw out all of the green and orange "things" and seeds, but snacked on the pellets, I threw away the food after that. It's kind of dumb that the starter kit came with a bunch of stuff not good for chins including the plastic coated cage itself, hopefully my girls will eventually get along so that I can pick up a ferret nation.

Have you checked craigslist for chinchillas? There may be a chinchilla in your area that needs to be adopted. I personally am against supporting PetSmart's animal sales.

Yeah I checked craigslist and newspaper ads, and nothing ):
and breeders are to far from me. So that's really my only option

There are breeders not that far from you. Mystic Mosaics is in Severn, Brandi is in the Rising Sun area. There's a few other breeders in Maryland as well if you take the time to look.

There are breeders not that far from you. Mystic Mosaics is in Severn, Brandi is in the Rising Sun area. There's a few other breeders in Maryland as well if you take the time to look.

i don't know where to look :/

I know where Rising Sun is!. Is there a website for that location?

Last edited:
I'll have to ask the breeder. I'm not sure if she has a contact site or not. Try the MCBA web page, they have two breeders listed. One is in Odenton, MD and I forget where the other is.

ETA: This is the breeder in Rising Sun. She may not be there exactly any more and the site hasn't been updated in a while, but I'm pretty sure she's still breeding. It never hurts to ask and she's a great person to work with. My parents and I both have gotten chins from her. http://angelschins.chinchillas.org/index.html

Last edited:
I'll have to ask the breeder. I'm not sure if she has a contact site or not. Try the MCBA web page, they have two breeders listed. One is in Odenton, MD and I forget where the other is.

ETA: This is the breeder in Rising Sun. She may not be there exactly any more and the site hasn't been updated in a while, but I'm pretty sure she's still breeding. It never hurts to ask and she's a great person to work with. My parents and I both have gotten chins from her. http://angelschins.chinchillas.org/index.html

I emailed her I hope she gets back to me and has some :)

Back