Where do you get loose timothy hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just want to know where do you get loose timothy hay, not the oxbow one??
although I've ordered it before, but I want to compare the price and shipping.

Personally I buy a 50lb bale from my local feed store. The bales are around $5

Not all feed stores have timothy hay though.

loose timothy

Stay away from kaytee!
Bob Ducey
Colorado Branch of Empress Chinchilla

I do not know if all of them ship to Canada, but American Pet Diner and Binkybunny do.

Kaytee Hay is not very fresh in appearance and in smell. It's quite dry, flakes a lot and the coloring is abnormally bright green/seems unreal/fake looking.

When I first got my chin, I fed her Kaytee Hay since I did not know any better. After buying better quality hay online, Sesame will, hands/paws down, always choose the APD or the Kleenmama Hay over the Kaytee Hay. If you use the search function up above, there's been quite a few threads about hay, the different companies of hay and why members like certain types over another.

One of the reasons I like Oxbow over Kaytee is that it is softer. Kaytee has harder, longer pieces of hay that that vacuum didn't like. (at least in the bags that I bought)

They also go started eating more hay when I switched to Oxbow, which is a good thing.

$5 for a bale, alli?! That's really good. I pay about $15 for a compressed bale of timothy here. I also buy my hay by the bale since I have so many chins. If you are only feeding one or two I would buy bags of oxbow or get smaller bales online.

I've never paid more than $6 a bale around here - must be real different pricing in the various regions!

wow, i never realized that kaytee wasn't as good. i guess it was because i had nothing to compare it to. it is very dry and bright green yes.

I bought the free 1st time hay from Bunny Bale... they will send you some free so you can see if your chins like it or not.
My chins loved it. So I bought some from them. I hate to buy hay and them not like it.
I have store hay right now and the top was nice and green... the middle has been kinda brown :\

Back