When will the kits arive?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarry3

We have felt kicks inside her tummy for about 3 weeks now, so I know she is pregnant. She has been with her mate for almost a year now so I'm not sure exactly when this happen or what her starting weight was. She was over 600 gms when we got her, and up to 800 several months ago, but now she is 975 gms. She looks like a softball and sleeps all day and night. She seems to be getting bigger higher on her chest. Do Chins drop their belly before delivery? At what point in the pregnancy have you felt strong kicks? Her nipples have been extended for about 2 weeks now. :kiss:

Nervous Grandma of a prego chin.

The elongated nipples and kit movement are all signs of impending delivery, but unless you know the exact day she conceived it's hard to say when she will deliver. I have heard chins most often delivery in the early mornings, but have also heard from some breeders that their chins delivered later in the day or even evening. If you are not a breeder I would make sure to read over all the FAQ's in the babies and breeding section to make sure you 100% prepared for what could occur and what will occur.

It could be any day or even a few weeks from now. Every chin is different and sometimes the baby kicks can be felt six weeks before delivery, sometimes you won't feel them until later.

Just be patient and keep an eye on the mama for any signs of distress.

when you feel the kits you have about 2-3 weeks. usually unless it is a very big litter, those you can feel sooner. liuke said above unless you know when they mated it is a guessing game. they will come when they are ready

I would say anyday now - usually by the time I feel movement you are within 2 weeks or so. You need to remove the male immediately to prevent a breedback as chins go into heat prior to giving birth, during birth and immediately after. Be sure to read the FAQs and make sure she is in a babysafe cage. Good luck!

Thanks you for all of your comments. I have been doing all of the reading I can to prepare for our new arrival. No signs of the kit or kits as of this morning. We are patiently waiting their arrival, meanwhile Mama rests on her side all day long.

All day, as in she doesn't move? While I'm not a breeder that doesn't sound normal to me. Can someone who knows more chime in?

Thanks for the info. She does get up now and then and can still jump around and she is eating and drinking plenty. I try not to wake her when she is sleeping. She hardly fits on the scale now. Her weight fluctuates a bit each day but she is still gaining. She is up to 980 grams. She likes to lay on her side on a piece of tile, which is probably the coolest place in the cage.

The elongated nipples and kit movement are all signs of impending delivery, but unless you know the exact day she conceived it's hard to say when she will deliver. I have heard chins most often delivery in the early mornings, but have also heard from some breeders that their chins delivered later in the day or even evening. If you are not a breeder I would make sure to read over all the FAQ's in the babies and breeding section to make sure you 100% prepared for what could occur and what will occur.

Though they can deliver in the middle of the day. When Luna delivered she delivered at about 1:30pm

when you feel the kits you have about 2-3 weeks. usually unless it is a very big litter, those you can feel sooner. liuke said above unless you know when they mated it is a guessing game. they will come when they are ready

I was gonna say 3-4 wks...LOL...

In the past few days she has a lot more energy. Still feeling kicks and squirms in her belly. Nipples are elongated for over 3 weeks, so when will the baby arrive? She has lost 20 gms, maybe from being more active now? Is an energy burst normal toward the end of a pregnancy? She still rest on her side, but bounces around in between.
Any words of wisdom?

you really should sit back and try to stop thinking about it, your just torturing yourself by wondering every day when are they going to come. If you try to put it out but still moniter her to assure she is ok then it will come faster :)

In the past few days she has a lot more energy. Still feeling kicks and squirms in her belly. Nipples are elongated for over 3 weeks, so when will the baby arrive? She has lost 20 gms, maybe from being more active now? Is an energy burst normal toward the end of a pregnancy? She still rest on her side, but bounces around in between.
Any words of wisdom?

I just had a chin deliver on Tuesday. I felt flutters and kicks in her belly for the first time on June 7th. Each chin is different and the amount of time you notice elongated nipples of flutters and kicks in the stomach until delivery time will vary. Usually they drop weight a few days before delivering, BUT at the same time I had a female drop weight two weeks before delivery, gain again and then drop one last time right before delivery. Some females are energetic up until the moment they deliver some go back and forth and some are tired the entire time. The only thing you can do at this point is wait, lol. There is no "normal" range to follow with pregnant chinchillas, really. Each chin is different and you learn how they litter after their first litter. Just make sure she doesn't end up overly lethargic. ;)

Back