When can Dad go back to Mom and Kit ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I also don't get your hurry to get her pregnant again. If you put dad back in, she will get pregnant. Why are you in such a hurry to get babies?

I think you are mistaking her want for dad and mom not to become unfamiliar with each other for wanting babies quickly. If she wanted the babies so badly...she wouldn't have taken the initial advice she had gotten about breedbacks and kept them apart for the first week.

I know we are all too familiar with inexperienced breeders just wanting cute babies, but before jumping on her you should ask for clarification like volunteer did.

That aside, Grace, don't worry about them not getting along again. When mom has kits with her, she will be less likely to accept her mate back because she will want to protect her babies. I would keep dad out for the entire time she is nursing. Just give her the time to raise the baby without having to worry about being mated. If they got along well before the baby the chances of them getting along again are fairly high.

I agree with Tab. If she wants nothing to do with him leave him out until after the kit is weaned or someone will get hurt

Thank you..... After listening to much advise, I am going to keep them apart for an additional 3 weeks (No, she is not pregnate) -
Thank you also to those who "Read between the lines" to read my true intent - That being the welfare of my Chins. After all, I just asked a health care question. I joined this forum after hearing it was a place of learning and positive exchange of information. A place where all questions can be asked and answered in a friendly atmosphere.

While that is true, you should also know that this forum is very much so for the betterment of the chinchilla, not the betterment of the owner. So...you're going to find that many people here will try to help you outside of your current question and you should be open and willing to listen to other points of view. Noone here said anything out of line.

I still question putting two unaltered adult chinchillas together for any amount of time if breeding isn't the aim. If you're concerned about them being lonely, split the pair, keep the current kit with the same sex parent, and adopt/buy a kit from someone else as a companion for the other. That's what's going to be safest for all of them b/c you'll have no further risk of the pregnant/post-partum female beating up the male or dying during birth.

I think you are mistaking her want for dad and mom not to become unfamiliar with each other for wanting babies quickly. If she wanted the babies so badly...she wouldn't have taken the initial advice she had gotten about breedbacks and kept them apart for the first week.

I know we are all too familiar with inexperienced breeders just wanting cute babies, but before jumping on her you should ask for clarification like volunteer did.

That aside, Grace, don't worry about them not getting along again. When mom has kits with her, she will be less likely to accept her mate back because she will want to protect her babies. I would keep dad out for the entire time she is nursing. Just give her the time to raise the baby without having to worry about being mated. If they got along well before the baby the chances of them getting along again are fairly high.

I started to type this question but it was 3am when we were discussing so I think that part of my brain went to sleep lol...I meant to mention this as well. Agreed with the others that if mom is being defensive he should definately stay out. I usually dont have a problem reintroducing them after the baby either - I usually give mom a couple of weeks without baby and then try. Agreed on 3C's comment as well - perhaps a same sex pairing would be an option if the OP isn't ready for the commitment of breeding.

I usually separate mine for a month or two before putting them back together. It gives mom a chance to be with her kit and relax. My mated pairs are always excited to see each other again after a long break I keep the cages close enough that they can still see one another.

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how dad would interact with the babies. My question is...can dad spend time with the kits outside of mom's cage without the mom nearby? if so, at how many days, weeks old. Just to clarify, I am not asking because i'm breeding chinchillas, or planning on breeding...merely out of curiosity.

Hello Dominique,
First, I waited almost 6 weeks to reunite Mom,Dad, And "Corbin". All has worked out very well. In fact, the 3 of them are "Snuggling" right now. Corbin was born on January 19th, and I plan on taking him out of their cage within 2 1/2 to 3 weeks - He is eating and drinking well on his own. Gosh ! quite a handsome young man he is ! (smiles).
To answer your question, I did not let Dad interact alone with him (Mom was, and is, his "security blanket".
As I stated earlier, I did keep their cages close, although not close enough for breeding (as some feared). There were no problems putting Dad back in with Mom and Corbin. One Happy Family ! Thank you for your question, Grace

Grace,

I would wean Corbin no later than 8 weeks. Even as a happy family it's better for him and for mom if he's weaned at 8 weeks. Also, since he's a single kit I would wean him into a cage with another male to help him transition from being with mom for so long. Sometimes the kits don't do well when just taken straight from the parents without some form of comfort(another weanling or just another same sex chinchilla).

I had heard 8 to 10 weeks on seperation - I was waiting for a little bit of a longer time since he will be going into a cage my himself. He is VERY friendly and social. Any ideas are welcome as to this transition. Grace

Thank you - Will separate, However, keep their cages close (Not too close (Smiles) together). I thought it safe until 10 weeks. Grace

Clarification: Meaning I would separate this weekend - Breeding at 8 weeks ?

Yes it can happen, and has.

I'm starting to get confused as to why people are breeding before knowing even the basics. :banghead:

Clarification: Meaning I would separate this weekend - Breeding at 8 weeks ?

It's not extremely common but it is possible that males can reach sexual maturity and breed at that young of an age. I have heard of it happening and witnessed it as well. If it were a female kit she could stay alone with mom for a longer period of time but the boys need to come out no later than 8 weeks of age, so yes, he'll need to come out this weekend.;)

Back