Wheel question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kateinspace

I ♥ Willow :)
Ok, so I bought a plastic wheel called the silent spinner. I know that plastic wheels can be a hazard, so I just decided to buy it, see what he does, and if Willow chewed it, I would just keep it for him when hes out of his cage and being watched. The plastic on the wheel is very hard and Willow has NEVER attempted chewing it, and hes loves the wheel (he runs in it all night much to my....delight lol.) So im just wondering others opinions on this wheel. Is it just a huge deal because some chins will chew the plastic and some wont, you just never know until you try it?

The problem with that wheel is not only is it plastic, but the diameter is not large enough for a chin. The diameter on upright chin wheels are at least 15". This is so that when the chinchilla runs, the spine does not curve at a strange angle and doesn't put stress on their backs or cause possible injury in the future. I know safe chinwheels are a bit more expensive, but they are worth the investment imo. You can choose from upright wheels such as the Chinspin, Ed Wheel, Leo Braun, or the flying saucer which is a flatter wheel, kinda like a lazy susan. Carise on here (forCHINate Chins) also makes a nice affordable wheel.

Thanks, if I cant find a less expensive safe wheel thats not too expensive to ship to Canada I will definately get it :/ Thats just the problem is the cost of the wheel plus the shipping is ALOT of money

Yea, I saw Flowertown, but I found the chin spin for 58$ on quality cage, Im wondering what the shipping would be :/
I really want to have the best items for Willow :/

Ask for it without the powder coating and you will save a few dollars. The powder coating was a issue on some wheels, other than that its a good wheel.

I just got my Chin Spin today and so far I love it and so does Ling Ling! I didn't realize how big it would be, but still love it!

Trust me the money for the chinspin is worth it. I have two chin's now.. and the wheel is deformed from them using it so much.. one of mine actually sleep in it... cheeky bugger..

If you get the chin spin from quality cage, the shipping is around $25 I believe PLUS they will ship it UPS and they charge $38 in duty and brokerage fees. I do know Quality cage has an option to ship it USPS which is higher but you still will get hit with duty.

Overall it will end up costing just over $100 to get the chin spin into Canada BUT it is truly worth it!

I dont know how other people feel about making your own wheel, but I have made a couple different prototypes that are 16inches in diameter. They are by no means silent, but they have lasted quite a while. My problem is that I'm on such a tight budget, especailly now, that i cant afford to get the expensive wheels for all on my chins. How do you decide who gets one and who doesnt? I made mine for $8.53 a piece. That's a large feed pan, 6inch lazy susan bearing, screws, wood backing, and a couple of washers. I need to take a picture of one. It is a lot of work to line up the screws so that you are in the exact middle but well worth it to me. These are wheel that you would never want to have in your bedroom though.

On the first one it is straight upright, but then I cut block at a 30 degree angle so that it has a slight tilt for my "fluffy chins." They had trouble staying on the wheel even though it has a 4 inch swatch to run on. If you handy it can save you alot of money.

There are lots of people who use those homemade wheels. They are absolutely safe. Just like you said though, they are far from quiet.

But this is what the shipping policy says :

Shipping Policy

Due to the increase in the cost of packaging materials, there will be a $5.00 packaging fee assessed on merchandise orders we ship, that are under $15.00

We don't add in shipping charges to our product cost. Because shipping charges vary based on size, weight and distance, you are charged only for the actual cost of getting your products to you. Unlike other companies, shipping isn't a "profit center" at Quality Cage Company.
We will caluclate the lowest shipping cost for your order, and e-mail you the charge for your approval before we ship your products.

Their shipping charge to Canada is usually $24. It's the duty and customs fees that we get stuck with that increase that amount.

UPS charges a brokerage fee on top of the duty. USPS charges duty/taxes. Any merchandise being shipping from the USA can be hit with taxes or duty depending on what it is.

Latest posts

Back