Wheel noise

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

whiskers387

Ok im looking into wheels, right now i have a silent spinner which is not to silent.... And im about to either get a 15" chin spin or 16" homeade wheel for chincessories, im wondering which is quieter, also about how loud?

The chin spin is much, much quieter than the homemade wheel from chincessories. Her wheel is great for a good wheel at a cheap price, but if your cage is in a bedroom you will get no sleep.

I've found the better you can secure the wheel to the cage, the less noise it will make!
I've used zip-ties, pulled tight with a pliers, and that seems to work real well!
Also, if you squirt the bearing from both sides with a little shot of WD-40, [using their "straw" for aim] that helps too!

I use a chin spin that I absolutely love - and so does my chin. It definitely isn't silent, but it is pretty quiet. I had it attached to the side of my cage, at first, and it was much noisier. The cage had more give at that area. When I relocated the chin spin to the back corner of my cage, I found that area to be much sturdier, and the chin spin to be quieter. The sturdier the cage, with less movement or give, the quieter the chin spin will be.

I've found the better you can secure the wheel to the cage, the less noise it will make!
I've used zip-ties, pulled tight with a pliers, and that seems to work real well!
Also, if you squirt the bearing from both sides with a little shot of WD-40, [using their "straw" for aim] that helps too!

I'm no chemist but does anyone know if WD-40 is safe for a chin? Personally I have my doubts but I will admit I have no scientific basis for that doubt. On the other hand I'm not sure I would want my children accidentally ingesting some WD-40.

WD-40 is toxic if ingested by anything. It says it right on the bottle.

If you want a quiet wheel, the wheel from Chincessories is very loud. The Chin Spin is much more quieter.

I have used "Pam" cooking spray when needed around the chins. I'm sure Rick would wipe down the surface and use very very little. No need to panic. lol

Thanks 6Dusters - exactly what meant - "little squirt", not overblow it!
I tried Pam too, but it seems to attract dust as it's pretty thick, but it works!

I'm sure Rick would wipe down the surface and use very very little. No need to panic. lol

Possibly, but he also recommended spraying it ON a bird to remove sticky fly tape. Would you panic in that case? Just because you might know not to use a ton of it, doesn't mean that someone coming on the forum and doing a random check would know better. Why give advice that can hurt a pet at all? A small amount of vegetable oil, olive oil, or flax seed oil would not hurt your chin, and would take care of the problem safely.

I thought Rick said to use light fluid on the bird? Something like that. Take a Q-tip dip it in the WD-40 or use KY personal lubricant that should be safe, they now make it for him and her. You never know when you'll need it.

Furrylovables: This has turned into quite the personal wellness thread! Personal lubricants and quiet wheels to get more sleep...

My older boy's chin spin has started to wiggle (if the - was the middle and the || is the wheel, it wiggles like this: -\\ -// -\\ -//, though not that extreme) on its center so if Brock really gets going on it it sounds as if he's putting a skillet through our clothes dryer. I'm not sure what to do about it, really. If this is just the darned thing getting old and needed replacements parts/tightening then I guess that's something to keep in mind if you're considering getting one.

My older boy's chin spin has started to wiggle (if the - was the middle and the || is the wheel, it wiggles like this: -\\ -// -\\ -//, though not that extreme) on its center so if Brock really gets going on it it sounds as if he's putting a skillet through our clothes dryer. I'm not sure what to do about it, really. If this is just the darned thing getting old and needed replacements parts/tightening then I guess that's something to keep in mind if you're considering getting one.

I'd try tightening the back up first..if that doesn't work, sounds like you'll need a new bearing. I just had to replace the bearings in two of my wheels a few months ago.

Cheknnudol - sounds [and looks, by your diagram] you've got bad bearings!
If it's not turning smooth by hand, the balls may have fallen out.
I helped quality cage find a vendor with better bearings that have permanent lubrication and are sealed to keep out foreign matter. They are easy to replace, and not very expensive - just call Quality Cage to order them!
I've even re-enforced the cage wall behind the wheel with some 1/4 x 1/2 galvanized steel I had laying around, fastened tightly with wire, which helped considerably.

My chin spin only made noise when it needed to be tightened. So far, we have not had to replace the bearings in it.

You are right Furry - it was lighter fluid. That's EVER so much better than WD40. <rolls eyes>

Either way, whether you want to light them on fire or lube them up so that they don't squeak as they die, it's still dangerous and should not be recommended.

Both WD40 and lighter fluid are flammable and toxic if ingested or inhaled. Both labels say not to use them in enclosed spaces.

I use olive oil.

Furrylovables: This has turned into quite the personal wellness thread! Personal lubricants and quiet wheels to get more sleep...

Needs a new bearing. Quality Cage now uses a new, better type of bearing that works on old wheels. They are $3.

I got curious so I ran a quick google search. Please see below taken from WD-40 website.

Here's a link to the adobe document on their site where I got the below data from.

www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

Emergency Overview:
DANGER! Flammable aerosol. Contents under pressure. Harmful of fatal if swallowed. If swallowed, may be aspirated and cause lung damage. Avoid eye contact. Use with adequate ventilation. Keep away from heat, sparks and all other sources of ignition.

Symptoms of Overexposure:
Inhalation: High concentrations may cause nasal and respiratory irritation and central nervous system effects such as headache, dizziness and nausea. Intentional abuse may be harmful or fatal.
Skin Contact: Prolonged and/or repeated contact may produce mild irritation and defatting with possible dermatitis.
Eye Contact: Contact may be mildly irritating to eyes. May cause redness and tearing. I
ngestion: This product has low oral toxicity. Swallowing may cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. This product is an aspiration hazard. If swallowed, can enter the lungs and may cause chemical pneumonitis, severe lung damage and death.
Chronic Effects: None expected.
Medical Conditions Aggravated by Exposure: Preexisting eye, skin and respiratory conditions may be aggravated by exposure.

Latest posts

Back