What's your favorite chin mutation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite chinchilla fur color?

• Total voters
That's tough, toss up between extra dark ebony and violet.

i have to go w/ mosic because one of my babies are a while mosic.

chin mommy to coya a white mosic and ruby a beige standerd grey carrier

There is no such thing as a "standard grey carrier"...just fyi. You can't be a carrier of a dominant gene.

I thought that standard was recessive to beige, therefore you could say that the chin carries standard grey, assuming her chinchilla is a hetero beige.....

Standard is not a recessive gene, period. It can't be recessive to anything. A hetero beige is a beige that has both the standard gene and beige gene and expresses both. Beige is not fully expressed unless the chin has 2 beige genes (homo beige.) A hetero beige expresses both the standard gene and beige gene, hence why "hetero" beiges are more of a grey and darker appearance than homo beiges. A recessive gene can be carried and not be expressed.

Breeders, feel free to step in and explain this better if you can...

Chinchillas follow a wild type form of genetics. This means that the standard grey is the color that shows through when no mutations are present. The standard grey color is not recessive or dominant, it is the wild type. There is not specific gene that codes for this color. Say that W=white which we know is a dominant gene, B=beige which is also a dominant mutation gene, v=violet, A=black velvet, and s=sapphire.

This is what a standard grey's genetic code would look like

wwbbaaVVSS

This is what a hetero beige's genetic code would look like

wwBbaaVVSS

Since each mutation occurs on a different loci, all can be expressed at the same time. But when none of these genes are expressed (since violet and sapphire are recessive, they must have two recessive genes to express the color in the coat) you will get the standard grey color. It's why we call chinchilla colors "mutations".

Chinchillas follow a wild type form of genetics. This means that the standard grey is the color that shows through when no mutations are present. The standard grey color is not recessive or dominant, it is the wild type. There is not specific gene that codes for this color. Say that W=white which we know is a dominant gene, B=beige which is also a dominant mutation gene, v=violet, A=black velvet, and s=sapphire.

This is what a standard grey's genetic code would look like

wwbbaaVVSS

This is what a hetero beige's genetic code would look like

wwBbaaVVSS

Since each mutation occurs on a different loci, all can be expressed at the same time. But when none of these genes are expressed (since violet and sapphire are recessive, they must have two recessive genes to express the color in the coat) you will get the standard grey color. It's why we call chinchilla colors "mutations".

Thanks! After trying to explain chinchilla genetics to my bio teacher I got very confused.... I tend to over think things!

Back