What's better baby chin or adult?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, also like to add baby when they are ready to go to home.. I don't want you guys to think I meant a new born and not ready to leave it's mama..

It really depends what you are looking for. Babies in my opinion are much harder to care for. They are faster and craftier than adults. My girls have escaped several times already. My male I got at 9 months never attempted to escape. I even accidentally left the door open one day. Babies also you can not know their personality very much yet as they are still growing into it. With an adult you can know whether they're mellow, etc. Also often health issues like malo show up by age two. Babies have the obvious benefits, they are cuter. They are also more insane... my girls bounce from cage side to cage side. Another benefit of adults is that you could give a rescue chin a really great home and love. Babies are much easier to find homes for than adults.

hehe There is this cage of four boys here that are about eight years old that would be perfect for you. I'm kidding, sort of.

Like Lilly said babies are very active, but they are cute and it's always fun to start out fresh with a little baby. Adults are less trusting than babies, but adults are calmer and usually it only takes a few weeks to get their trust. It's a trade off. I like adults because they are just so much easier, and I can bribe them into holding still with treats.

It's up to you what you are wanting. Either way, it would probably be just fine.

Thank you! That what I want to know the pros and cons.. And I definately agree what you said here..

\ Another benefit of adults is that you could give a rescue chin a really great home and love. Babies are much easier to find homes for than adults.

:D

Yea I am leaning toward an older chin.. I think..

Males... It is alot of work to do ring checks??

In my mind that what I think that why I was actually thinking to get a girl.

I haven't gotten anything just getting myself prepared..

hehe There is this cage of four boys here that are about eight years old that would be perfect for you. I'm kidding, sort of.

Like Lilly said babies are very active, but they are cute and it's always fun to start out fresh with a little baby. Adults are less trusting than babies, but adults are calmer and usually it only takes a few weeks to get their trust. It's a trade off. I like adults because they are just so much easier, and I can bribe them into holding still with treats.

It's up to you what you are wanting. Either way, it would probably be just fine.

It isn't that bad with the males and fur rings. It's very likely that you won't have a male with a fur ring, but definitely it is good to be prepared for it. I may have some rescue girls here that would work, but they are older. There's a pair of white females, a mother and daughter....but they are 6 and 7 years old.

ETA: Just wanted to give you some pictures of those girls. :) They're calm and pretty easy to care for. Sophie is the mom, Harriet is the daughter. They were on hold for someone, but the lady just vanished off the face of the earth so I guess she doesn't want them anymore...

Attachments

• Harriet.jpg
    Harriet.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 23
  • Sophie.jpg
    Sophie.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Omg Susan they are soooo cute. I want them! Too bad they are so far from IL... and I have two beautiful baby girls already...

Ohhh ok.. well then If it not that bad. Then I wouldn't mind..

The thing is.. I want a certain color..

I saw one I like. And I like the markings on it.. But negative thing is.. I just like that one and not the other ones.

And I want to have two..

I agree with Lillybabe... They are beautiful.. I didn't think I like that color.. I am WRONG! LOL

Lol yea she looks grumpy.. LOL It ok.. don't we do to sometimes! :p

Ok, I like the ones that are white with a little bit grey on them. I thought those were called mosaic... ???? Then what are those called??

They're the same thing, they just have more markings on them. They have the same gene making them white as the pure white chins. Markings are usually an individual thing - I've had siblings born with one being pure white and the other having dark spots! A chin also being ebony or TOV can make more or darker markings, as well.

Latest posts

Back