What lifts you up when you are down?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie

I heart Leonard
The past 2 years have been emotionally devastating for me, but even through all the sorrow I have managed to find joy. Many of you know I'm a depressive eater and make mention of my "healing" foods: chicken and dumplings, tapioca pudding and cherry turnovers, but I find other things that not only help soothe and comfort me, but lift me up and bring me both happiness and joy.

My list--food aside:
Listening to music by Jeremy Camp, Third Day, Casting Crowns--In particular these songs: There Will Be A Day & I Still Believe by Jeremy; Cry Out To Jesus by Third Day; Praise You In This Storm by Casting Crowns; I Know My Redeemer Lives by Nicole C Mullen; Held by Natalie Grant

watching Elvis movies--in particular Follow That Dream, Tickle Me and Live a Little, Love a Little

Being with my animals--especially Bobo when I am sad. Normally she is pretty sassy to me but when I am crying and in emotional pain she knows it and sits quietly next to me in her cage and lets me talk to her without any sassing.

My greatest source of support had always been my sister Lisa. Whenever I was upset, angry or depressed I would call her and she would be there for me. Now I call Sandi who tells me she loves me and no matter what everything will be okay or I talk to Peggy who threatens to kick my butt until I smile--surprisingly both forms of comfort seem to work for me and I feel good hearing "I Love You" or "Knock it off or I'll kick your butt"

I also have an ANCIENT newspaper clipping of Andre Agassi back when he was young with his long hair and was playing at the French Open--he was going for an overhead shot so there is a spot where his shift lifts and you can see his nice hairy belly. I like to rub that spot--and it makes me smile!

How about you--what helps lift you when you're down?

my list:

crying until i just fall asleep
watching sex and the city
talking to gizmo
in high school id play with eyeshadow. then after looking fabulous, i wouldnt feel so sad anymore.

Chocolate

Complaining to someone, who really cares and complains with me.

Fifi, she's a fuzzy little mutt and she's not very smart, but she's comforting because she loves me and snuggles.

The Chins...OMG, have you ever had a bad day and you just go in and let the chins cheer you up? Those little fuzzy things somehow know how you are feeling and do everything to make you smile. If I am in a sad mood, they are more quiet and seemingly considerate...if I am mad, they seem to act like little clowns until I just snap out of it.

John, my husband. He hates seeing me sad...he would do anything to make me happy again. :D

Chocolate

!!! Here here !!!

Also the chinchillas, there is nothing like cuddling with a baby or talking to other chin folks to make you happy.

Walking, I walk a lot. :))

I think about how truly lucky I am in the big scheme of things.

I have so many blessings -- 2 sisters, a best friend who is more of a sister to me than 1 of my sisters, a job with benefits about which to complain, a decent standard of living, my chinnies and ALL of my chin friends who I have met, either in person or on the forums, a nice (although small!!!) condo whose mortgage I can afford, the list goes on.

I have some serious health conditions, but as I always say, (and my sister, the doctor, who says she has appropriated MY saying to share with her patients when they are feeling down), "If everyone could put their troubles in a big basket and you knew with what they were dealing, why, then, you'd snatch your troubles back so fast your head would spin!!!"

So many people deal with such heavy stuff, some even unimaginable, every day, that I really can't complain.

I hope that this gives you a new perspective, Laurie. I'm so excited that I'm going to get to meet you in person in October!!! I'll give you a great, big hug, in person -- until then, I'm hugging you over the internet!!!

the chins and the horses have gotten me through some rough times. They need me to survive so I have gotten through evenings knowing that I HAVE to get it done. sitting in the chinchilla room visiting chinnies has always helped.

Laying on the floor with the dog.

I can't even say how many times I have wraped my arms around Squires neck and cried until I couldn't cry any more and felt better.

A nap...the world is so much better when you are fully rested.

and a good book.

Lynn, I am really looking forward to meeting you too! It makes the show just so much better!

I can't believe I forgot these two!
my cowboy romances AND wearing red stick. You just can't be sad when you have red lipstick on!

I agree that chocolate cures most anything!

My kids - a big hug and kiss from them makes everything better again!

My animals - they never disappoint me or hurt me or leave my side...they always make me smile.

And a good book, wrapped up in a warm blanket, and drinking a mocha...aahhh

Chocolate, a good cry, talking to you guys in chat and always Shelly. She knows when I'm feeling blue and be a little goof just to cheer me up.

Whenever I am sad or just having a bad day, I get in my car, turn up the Motley Crue or whatever happens to be playing on my iPod really loud and I hit the interstate, singing along with the music really loud! I don't have to have any particular place in mind but I usually end up at Starbucks or the beach.

My cats, esspecially Canyon. If Im sick hes in the bathroom with me, if Im crying he's in my lap. He's doing a good job of teaching the others how to "take care of mommy"

HUGS

Being outside with nature

Watching the flames of a fire

Getting lost with a good book

my pets always make me smile when i am sad, especially my dog Misty.

hot tea and a big fluffy blanket in my bed watching a CSI, Little House on the Prarie or an old movie marathon (Elvis, Gone with the Wind, African Queen, etc.....)

crying while taking a long hot shower.

Definitely my girls. I exist for those two. My youngest will rub my back if she sees me crying. My oldest will give me a real tight hug. I can't complain, I've been truly blessed with my family and friends. My sister is like Switzerland, will listen to my troubles, give me advice and stay neutral at all times. My pets, I love each and every one's personality and they all make me smile. After 10pm our pug Buddy is my shadow and needs to be at my feet until I go to bed, I never feel alone when he's by my side.

Here, this place, has lifted my spirits quite a few times. And you Laurie, for making me laugh when I need to the most.

After my boyfriend and I came home from the vet's office after losing my beloved kitty Soleil, I told him to put on the movie Spaceballs I remember that I was too heart broken to laugh but still it made me feel better :)

Oh and if I am ever in a bad mood, all I need is to hear is the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" and I feel tons better! :D

for your listening pleasure-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LBmUwi6mEo

Another chocoholic as comfort eater. Mashed potatoes and chicken and dumplings are my big comfort entree.

I'm also fond of really loud metal (Metallica, Amon Amarth, Nightwish) and doing something that I know will tire me out, like scrubbing the walls or de-greasing the stove top. When it's done, I'm proud of using all that icky energy to get a huge job done.

He's not mine, but cuddles with Bobby dog do wonders on my sad/lonely/everybody hates me days. He's half lab, so leaning is second nature to him, and eventually he'll get me to go into the yard where he runs in circles so darn happy to be outside and alive and loved that he grins. (His other half is border collie.) I can't help but smile back watching him run laps.

I'm also a comfort eater but with me it's usually carbs like pasta and breads.

My biggest self-soother is listening to Cat Stevens. I think it's because my mom used his records as lullabies for me as a baby. I have the cds on repeat when I am super sad. I just feel like everything will be all right when I hear him.

Usually I'll go for a long drive and play some of my favorite music. Of course the chins are great to be around when things aren't going well -- they always make my day.

I spend some quiet time outside, listen to the birds, watch the wind blow through the trees, maybe get lucky to see a butterfly on my flowers, watch squirrels chasing each other up a tree, and give thanks that I can see the beauty in those things.

Latest posts

Back