What kind of hay is this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eycamry

Can someone take a look at this picture and tell me what kind of hay it is on the left? On the right is regular timothy hay. I saw a lot of this strange hay in the bale of timothy I bought recently. Is this just another form of timothy? The stems are very very thin, the seedheads are smaller and not as dense as regular timothy seedheads. :hmm:

Warming: the picture is 2 megabytes.

Thanks!

More pictures

I have some orchard hay, and this hay is nothing like it. The stems are sooo thin, like strings of thread. I've taken some more pictures. Hopefully someone has seen it. What does brome hay look like when dried?

I bought the timothy hay in a large bale (85lb). This kind of grass was mixed in it.

Thanks.

I believe it's timothy too, I got a bale of timothy hay recently and it has those thinner blades in it too but the bale I got is strictly timothy. I've noticed that my chins don't eat the thin ones though.

Thanks, Ali713. The bale I bought was supposed to be strictly timothy also. I was just a little confused when I saw this because I've never seen this before in any other bales. But this bale was from a different store.

Thanks again, everyone.

My timmy hay has pieces that look like that in it.

Edited to add: I do first cut timmy hay. If you are used to second cut, maybe those types of pieces aren't found as often in the second cut? My chins just seemed to prefer the first cut so I have stuck with it.

Hay is grown in a big field, there are seeds that fly, bugs and frogs that hop, and real rain that waters it. Leaves fall from trees and neighbors might even ride their horses there...

Hay happens, it comes from nature, not a lab.

I'm not sure if it's the hay that gets shipped to Calif but every bale that I buy has that grass in it. My chins and 1 - rabbit won't eat it so I use it for bedding for my rabbit. Sometimes it ranges from a little to a whole bunch.

yeah, I've been feeding my hay that has those pieces in it for over a month now and haven't had any issues. Like I said, they just don't really seem to eat those pieces.

Back