what is your largest litter and did all survive?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This weekend I bought a female from Shoots. She came from a litter of 6 - all survived. Barbara said Ralph went to the barn 3-4 times per day to give them a dropper full of goat's milk, just to make sure they weren't hungry. All they would take once the 1 dropper full

Largest for me was 5, all survived, but I did handfeed and rotate, as well as let mom do her thing.

I have had both litters of 5 and 6 live but I farmed them out to other moms so no one had more than three to deal with. No hand feeding here. If a female has more than triplets I always move babies to other moms.

What does 'rotate' mean? (Sorry to be off topic)

By rotate they mean that they put a baby in for about 2 hours and take the others out. Then they rotate all of the babies every 2 hours or so. That way they all have a chance to nurse and make sure that they are getting milk. Hope I explained that right ;)

My largest litter (thankfully) has been triplets. And the mother all have done quite well with them.

I've had a few litters of quads here, but not for a while!
Only had 'bad kit fights' with quads.

I've had two litters of quads here. The first was born premature and all four of them died. The second litter one was stillborn, then they lost their mom at a week and a half old...got fostered and now they are weaned and doing great! Just a bit small at the moment...but they will catch up soon.

I've had two litters or quads. I lost one kit out of each litter, due to fighting before I even knew the mom had littered. Hopefully I'll have trips or less from now on, I really don't like the stress on the mom and I rarely have chins that litter at the same time unless I'm lucky.

I had a litter of quads. all made it without anything from me. Lisa (Laurie's chin) and Ivory (sandi's chin)were from that litter.

I had two moms litter 5 babies each on the same day several years back. One was a first time mom and lost all 5, the other raised all 5. Hope that never happens again! lol

I have had 3 litters of quads since I started breeding 4 years ago. The first litter of quads all survived. My second and third (born on the same day, last Saturday actually!) each lost one from each litter. One kit was dead soon after birth, the other was much smaller than his siblings, suffered injuries from fighting after one night, refusing to nurse when his siblings were rotated out and slowly faded away, refusing handfeeding as well.

My largest litter was 6, 1 of which was premature, and another that got stuck in the birth canal and was delivered non-breathing. We managed to revive that little girl but she later on was attacked and died. The other 4 lived and went on to become huge chins!

Cheryl

I had one litter of quads about four years ago....the Mom did great and all four survived. I had to rotate for the first week because two kits did not get along and the biggest picked on the smallest. It was a nice mixture of a white violet, an extreme mosaic vc and two standard vcs.
I must admit that it is very stressful when baby kits fight, and very very time consuming with the rotation, but I was thrilled that they all survived.
I rarely breed now, as most of my cages are same sex, so I only had one kit born this year.

I have had 2 litters of quads. All of the kits survived, but I did have to rotate and give supplemental feeding to the smallest ones.

I had 5 last year and 1 was much smaller than the others. He died within a couple of days, but the others did great. I have had quads and triplets many times and usually have to rotate the kits nursing so they do not fight, but sometimes they will do okay without rotating. I always check the mom to make sure there is not too much hair hiding the nipples so the kits can find them easily.

Latest posts

Back