What color am I?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really Tiff? I'm going to assume it's a very light standard. I'm terrible with colors.

Will a bath fix his dirty color?

Dirty as in a series of baths will fix that? I've seen images of grungly looking, but that red color really threw me.

It is a light standard that looks extremely pen stained. Baths won't help alone (actually looks like he has been dusting), he needs to be in a cage that's cleaned regularly with good air flow. In time, when he blows coat, he should look better.

Here is a chin after I had just gotten her that had some minor pen stains, you can see the red in her tail and around her rump. (Note that she is a darker phase than the one on Petfinder - that poor chin's lighter phase just brings out the staining more.)

wilma4.jpg

This is the same chin almost two years later.

wilma7.jpg

Last edited:
It is a very poor quality picture - as in bad lighting! It looks like a light standard with some oxidation issues - it is really off color!

I know the herd that animal is out of. They were a low-quality pelt operation in OR - you could get $15 pelts from them at the local eastern WA taxidermist. It might be slightly dirty - but the chins genuinely are that brown color. Some of their relatives bought a pet store by us and had a bunch that were like that - that stripe up the face and a dirty chocolate brown tail, even as babies. VERY long body.

This was in 2002, so it's been awhile. Didn't think they were still around and they may not be - that may be the remainder of the herd.

It is very interesting to see where chinchillas came from though it was not uncommon for them to look like that in the 70's and into the late 80's.

Wow, lots of information here. Thanks for all the posts guys. As you know, I'm a hedgehog person, but I try to learn as much about chinchillas as I can, and I had never seen one quite that color before. His fur didn't look all that greasy, so it really threw me.

I think someone in the OR area needs to go adopt the poor baby, take some better images of him. Just think you will have yourself a rare "brindle" colored chinchilla!

A very poor quality example of a standard chinchilla. This is the type of standard that was common 40 years ago. The Laniguera (long) body type, lack of fur strength, extreme off-color (brown hue). This is an extreme example of the type of chinchilla that should not be bred and really shows how far we've come along with our overall quality in our standards. I too have not seen a standard like this in years, but agree with Tara that they used to be very prevelant in the 50's to late 70's. Enjoy it as a pet, just please do not breed it. It is the example of what we worked so hard at getting away from with our breeding of chinchillas in the last 50 years from a quality stand point.

ive seem him a lot in the local animal shelter website cause i only live 10 minutes away from him. i would love to adopt him but im already at my chinny limit. ive always wondered about his weird coloring too:(

Latest posts

Back