What am I doing wrong?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessica

About a month ago we were at the vet for conjunctivitis we went back there today for the same exact reason and we are back on a two week dose of antibiotic ointment on the eye. I cleaned everything really well and changed out the stuff I couldn't wash. I really don't understand and the funny part is I swear he was fine yesterday.:yuck:

Conjunctivites is cause by fecal matter in the eye. As you probably found out from you vet. Your chin must touch his face alot after touching fecal matter. You may have a very high maintainance chin who need his cage cleaned daily. Or if he spend most of his time on perches where he deficates just brush them off several times a day.

I'm not sure what else you can do to keep his feet clean.

Perhaps it isn't recurring but was never actually cleared up. Maybe your chinnie needs a different prescription. There seems to be a few other cases on the forum at present in the same situation.

Perhaps it isn't recurring but was never actually cleared up. Maybe your chinnie needs a different prescription. There seems to be a few other cases on the forum at present in the same situation.

Thats a really good point.

Try adding Some colloidal silver to the water. You can get it at health food stores and such. Works better then any other treatment I have used.

Conjunctivites is cause by fecal matter in the eye. As you probably found out from you vet. Your chin must touch his face alot after touching fecal matter. You may have a very high maintainance chin who need his cage cleaned daily. Or if he spend most of his time on perches where he deficates just brush them off several times a day.

I'm not sure what else you can do to keep his feet clean.

I'm wondering where you heard this? I was under the impression that even foreign objects in the eye like extra dust, sand etc, can cause conjunctivitis. One of my chins had an eye infection about a year ago and I believed it to be from the extra dust baths with tinactin to prevent any fungus from recurring. Never was I told that it was caused by fecal matter in her eye. Actually, this is the first I've heard of the matter.
I don't doubt that having fecal matter in one's eye would cause an infection, but I would imagine that there are other things that could bring upon an infection.

Baxter used to get eye infections all of the time & still gets them on occasion. We went through every eye medication & it would do what you are describing.. clear up, come back, clear up again... We finally settled on gentamycin (sp?) ointment 5x daily for a little over a week and it cleared up. Now sometimes he will get a little runny eye every now & then and I treat it with tobramycin drops. We also cleaned his eyes out with sterile saline (like for contact lenses) after every dust bath after treatment and still do this.

If I were you, I'd take him back to the vet & have his eye stained. Check for any scratches or anything. Make sure during the antibiotics you don't give him a dust bath. You can sprinkle dust on his back if you hate the way he looks all unbathed, but letting him roll around won't help the eye at all. Also watch for any signs of a URI. Watery eyes can often be the first sign of one so just keep a close on on food and water intake and output. Make sure he isn't loosing weight either.

Good luck!

Last edited:
We've been to the vet and his chest was listened to. His lungs are clear although I think this has a lot to do with his dust bath because literally he was fine yesterday. His eyes were clear and healthy looking then I gave him a dust bath and today he has a gooey eye. I am just going to treat him with what I was given right now if it doesn't clear up or at least stop itching in a few days then we are going back and I am also going to have to get rid of all his fleece things for now.

Collidal Silver is reported to be a natural antibiotic. I find that the 40 PPM works best.
There are studies going on to see if collidial silver can be effective in hospitals to help control the increase in numbers of drug resistant germs.
For eye infections it works best if a couple of drops are placed directly into the eye daily.
WHat dust are you using maybe you need to change. Cunjuntivitis is a inflamation of the cunjuntiva(outer most layer of the eye and inner surface of the eyelids) From any source, It can be a allergic reaction or infection.

Been using it for as long as i have had chins.Know some longtime ranchers who have been using it for 20 plus years. So it's not new to chins.

I'm wondering where you heard this? I was under the impression that even foreign objects in the eye like extra dust, sand etc, can cause conjunctivitis. One of my chins had an eye infection about a year ago and I believed it to be from the extra dust baths with tinactin to prevent any fungus from recurring. Never was I told that it was caused by fecal matter in her eye. Actually, this is the first I've heard of the matter.
I don't doubt that having fecal matter in one's eye would cause an infection, but I would imagine that there are other things that could bring upon an infection.

I got this info from med school actually, before we run away with that topic I am no longer a med student. Conjunctivitis, aka Pink Eye, is one of those fun diseases that can tranfer from people to animal and is diagnostically the same. I could list a bunch of books this is in if you would really like. Its true that Fecal matter is not the only way, but it is the most common form in both people and animals. Conjunctivitis is usually a bacterial infection of the, as RMC said, conjunctiva. There is a viral form but there is nothing you can do for that but use sterile saline to relieve irritation untill it goes away on its own.. Signs are swelling of the eyelids, irritation of the eyes, and yellow/green mucoid discharge.

People are usually not told its fecal matter in the eye. They would say its impossible, must be something else. But if you think about it, children get it much more often than adults. Children are much less care when it comes to restroom hygene.... Doctor secrets.. buahahaha! Chins run on fecal matter and clean their faces often. As with anything that has eyelids not everybody closes their eyes all the way and tada!!! But thats only why fecal matter is the main cause.

Allergic conjunctivitis is highly debated. Is it? Isn't it? Last I heard it was not because the lack of infection, and instead of continuous thick yellow or green discharge it has ropey white discharge.

RMC is right about the dust. An allergic reaction would look very much the same and have no reaction to antibiotics. New bath dust and/or bedding could help. And RMC makes a great point on collidial silver. Great stuff!

Taking the fleese away is a great idea, especially if its bacterial.

ps. please tell me if I'm reading as snotty, I really don't mean to be.

I am willing to try collidial silver. You say you can find it at a health store?
Marble is on this ointment called "Neo-Poly Bac" now he was on something else before I wish I still had it then I could name it but I don't. I always throw away left over medicines in general.

My boy Sambuca gets eye infections all the time...I have to wash his eye out with saline after every bath and make sure his cage is cleaned usually every other day or he gets goop which soon turns to infection. If I take careful time with his upkeep then his eyes remain fine though:thumbsup:

Saide - no, you're not being snotty. I was treated for it earlier because I wasn't as careful cleaning cages and messed with my eyes.

Jessica - you need to be careful, too. You might end up passing it back and forth to one another... I keep a bottle of sanitizer in my pet room and clean after every handling.

There is a bottle of hand sanitizer in his area which I used before and after handling him. I have been washing the crust out of his eye with warm water it seems to relieve the itching when I do this for him although he really doesn't enjoy any of it. We are going to buy some more food for him tomorrow so I guess I'll pick up some new wood ledges and toys or I may just opt to sand down what he's got since it's still quite new.

Conjuntivitis is NOT caused by fecal matter in the eye. At least according to WebMD, whom, I would assume, know something about it:

From http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/eye-health-conjunctivitis
Conjunctivitis has a number of different causes, including:

Viruses
Bacteria (such as gonorrhea or chlamydia)
Irritants such as shampoos, dirt, smoke, and pool chlorine
Allergies, like dust, pollen, or a special type of allergy that affects some contact lens wearers

Of course, then there is Johns Hopkins, a modest little health system:

Causes

Bacterial or viral infections are the most common causes of conjunctivitis.
Allergies (to such things as pollen, cosmetics, and contact lens cleaning solution) are a possible cause.
Air pollution or chemical irritants may lead to conjunctivitis.
Cervical infections (chlamydia, genital herpes or gonorrhea) in a pregnant woman may result in potentially blinding conjunctivitis in her baby.
A partially blocked tear duct is a possible cause.

Bacteria is everywhere and there are myriad types of bacteria so to say it's caused by fecal matter is just so off-base as to be amusing.

Last edited:
Um, I didn't see anywhere that it said it for sure fecal matter could not be the cause. What all is in chinchilla poo or human poo for that matter? Any number of those irritants could be present, such as residue from intestines and whatnot. And chinchillas do tend to go to the bathroom where there is dust, so dust could be present on their fecal pellets. Also, it says "bacteria", which is a very broad category, considering humans (and all animals for that matter) have bacteria in their digestive tracts that could be present. Either way, I still would touch fecal matter then put my finger in my eye on purpose... just sayin' ;)

What Marble has is bacterial, it could have came from anywhere really. The best I can do is not use fleece anymore and try some different products (ei dust and shavings). I may opt for some blue cloud since I have been using the fine-grain Kaytee dust that comes in a big plastic jar. I may also have to buy an e-collar for marble to keep him from further irritating his eye. Where would I find one so small?

Last edited:
Back