Weaning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munchkin

At what age should kits stop weaning? I have one thats about 10 weeks and his still is. Is that normal? I already plan on separating him from Mama and the other kit because he is already starting to mount.

He probably needs to come out of there even if he is still nursing. At ten weeks a male kit is ready to leave his mama. The mounting is just something he's doing to try to assert a little dominance. In the next few days he probably needs to go to live by himself or with other boys. :)

I know but it's so sad to separate them! :[ He loves to cuddle with her adopted sister! I need to make a fleece-mate :p but no time!

It's lots of fun to cuddle with his sister, right up until he impregnates her. A male should never be left with a female sibling or mother after he is 8 weeks old. Female kits can be impregnated as early as 6 weeks. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Get him a stuffed animal to cuddle with and get him out of the females cage.

That mounting could easily be more than just dominance. He could be trying to mate. The male could even impregnate his mom.

10 weeks is a little early for him to do that. He could be trying, but he probably can't do anything...yet...PROBABLY doesn't mean that he can't though. You're right about that.

10 weeks is time for him to go off on his own. It's sad to take them out, but it's also a very natural thing to have them be weaned.

Latest posts

Back