Ways to cut down on the smell!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amsue0222

chin lover
I have 4 chins and I use FN cages. I just bought the bass equipment pans recently and it does help cut down on the poos on the floor. I do use the Fleece Liners and change them every day. We are getting grossed out byt the smell. I know that chins don't smell, but their urine does. Mine mostly use the litter pans but still do urinate on the liners. Our chins are in the main part of our house as we don't have a basement.

Can I use the bass pans without the liners or anything in the bottom of the cage but still keep a litter pan in there?

Do you think that if I used litter all in the bottom of the cage that it would end up on the floor?

How do you cut down on the smell?:thinking:

Use pine shavings. I tried the fleece liners and they just aren't sanitary enough for me. I went back to the pine shavings. I don't mind the smell of pine at all, and you can easily clean out the urine spot (since most of my chins seem to pee in the same spot), refresh with more pine shavings, and keep the clean scent.

I agree, shavings are the tried and true method that has stood the test of time. Fleece liners are a very recent trend that personally I do not understand and I would imagine do create smell. IF you are worried about shavings getting kicked out of the cage you will need a wire bottom with a pan of shavings under it.

OK I just put pine in the bottom of their cage-- I will let you know how much of a difference it makes. I was thinking of making a bit of a shield of hardware cloth to help keep the shaving inside the cage. I could probably construct some sort of pull out type drawer but will have to think about it.

I use fleece liners and they don't smell. If your chins do pee on the liners, was them every 2 days. A lot of people do that and don't have a problem with a smell build up.

Brandon - One chin on a liner is one thing, five is different. If you have five different cages, or even several chins to a cage sharing a liner, they smell. I washed them daily, and when you have 40 cages on liners, they reek.

I use fleece liners and they don't smell. If your chins do pee on the liners, was them every 2 days. A lot of people do that and don't have a problem with a smell build up.

Yea I wash them every day! I have 2 chins that share a cage and two that are separated. (2 separate FNS). THey do smell!! I changed them last night around 6:00 and they already smell this morning. I probably wouldn't notice if I only had one chin but yea 4 does make a big difference. They use the litter pans but not always. I am going to try the pine-- my husband is getting irritated with the smell everyday and I don't want to argue about it with him b/c I won't get rid of my chins. I am sure that with the amount of soap, vinegar and water it will be the same price if not cheaper to use the pine. I will find a way to make the floor not so messy too.

I dont think it will be cheaper in the long run and I have 3 chins and use liners and do not have a horrible smell. I wonder what is up that you do? Do you have all girls? I know my girl smells more then that boys do :)

I have 2 boys and 2 girls. The girls share a cage and the boys are separate. THe girls do smell more and they are the chins that usually do go on the liners. It is not their diet, they are fed tradition, occasional shreddie, and timothy hay--that is it. THey are all healthy but the urine does smell!

I switched off liners too. I rarely smell anything with pine shavings unless it's because I didn't clean the cage in a timely manner.

I have a room dedicated solely to chins and I noticed a big difference once I put an air purifier in. I also bought an Edgestar 12000heater/airconditioner/dehumidifier. It will clear out any odor in about 10 minutes.:thumbsup:

I never tried fleece liners because I thought it might smell. I only have one chin but I also have a highly developed sense of smell so it would be noticed to me no matter what. I've used a variety of different bedding though and the best is pine on odor control.

i use pine pellets in a pullout pan, inaccessible to the chin, and it never smells. Don't know if that's an option for you or not.

I'm with you, I don't have the smell problem with liners. I have 2 chins to a cage/2 cages and one cage has 2 liners. I clean mine once a week..any longer than that and yes they do smell.

Although I could imagine the more liners/chins you have the worse the smell problem would be.

if you or your husband is a bit handy, a pull out pan with a wire bottom is a dream come true. There aren't many cages easier to clean then that. As for the cost of shavings DO NOT buy them at a pet store, find a TSC(tractor supply company, we have them here in Detroit, so I bet you have em too) or a feed store that sells shavings normally used for horse stables. You will get a giant bag for a fraction of the price you pay at the pet store.

Yeap, that's how it's working for me. I usually clean mine every 3-4 days though, and the section with my kits gets cleaned daily because 5 to a cage DOES get very smelly quickly.

I agree with the air purifier though. I have a huge air purifier in the room and it helps out with the smells. I dunno what I'd do without it.

I'm with you, I don't have the smell problem with liners. I have 2 chins to a cage/2 cages and one cage has 2 liners. I clean mine once a week..any longer than that and yes they do smell.

Although I could imagine the more liners/chins you have the worse the smell problem would be.

For the fleece liners, I really think it depends on the chins. We have two chins that will smell theirs up in a few days, our other two chins though, I have to remember to wash them because they don't smell them up at all. One uses a litter pan, and the other doesn't...but it still doesn't smell.

Another trick to cut down on smell is to sprinkle a little baking soda over the pine shavings. I do this with my wire bottom cages and it helps a lot!

Cheryl

I wonder if I could somehow make the hardware cloth attach to the FN's like for the floor of the cage, and the bass pans could pull out to dump? I could just buy 1/2 in wire and cut it to fit the cage.

Anyone ever make a drawer for their FNs?

I am sure that that would be the most cost efficient, as I was thinking of purchasing new Martin's cages with pull out pans, but I really like how the FN's look as they are in my living room area.

The other option is to buy deeper pans.....

Back