Water Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimichi

I'm not really sure if this is even the right section, but I'm just generally curious.

I tried to switch my chin over to reserve osmosis treated water from tap water, but she wouldn't even touch it. She went a whole day without drinking until I gave her regular tap water. Now I asked the vet and they said that normally them drinking tap water is fine. They don't get parasites very often at all from just drinking normal tap water, which for us is just city water, not well water.

Should I still try to switch it over to reserve osmosis treated water or just let her keep drinking tap water? Though if she won't even touch it I'm afraid problems could come out of it and I don't want that to happen.

It depends on where you are located. There are some municipal water sources that have giardia or other parasites in them and have infected many chins. Sometimes the tap water is just fine, other times it is far from being alright to give to chins. I don't know why your chinchilla wouldn't touch the reverse osmosis water. I've never had a problem switching any chins over or had them refuse to drink it, but we have some nasty tap water in the state I live.

Honestly I'm not sure why she wouldn't drink it either, but she just didn't seem too interested in it and wouldn't touch it. Though as far as I can tell our tap water tastes alright. I'm more of a bottled water person myself, but I do drink tap water from time to time.

She's been drinking it for two months, ever since I got her, so far and nothing has come of it, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad to just let her keep drinking it? Or maybe I should drink switching her over again just to make sure nothing ever does happen? I just really want opinions here because I'm kind of conflicted. I'm sure if she gets thirsty enough she'd drink it though.

R/O filter? I just gave her some bottled water because it was all I had at the time and it was 11 at night, but it did say it was treated using reverse osmosis. But she didn't touch any of it from the time I gave it to her until later the next day when I just switched back tap water and she started drinking again.

I wonder if she's just picky and prefers the taste of tap water over other waters? Because I know, to me at least, every brand of bottled water taste different.

My boys drank tap water for six years with not one problem. I switched to a PUR water pitcher after reading more just to be safe. But like others have said, some tap is fine and never causes any problems. I just switched to be safe. The tap water by you may be fine as well if you haven't had any problems.

I have been giving strictly tap water at one location from 2001-2011. The chins are still on tap water since moving to my current location, from our personal well since 2011. All our animals, including us drink tap water. This includes fragil peachicks that are very sensative. We haven't had any issues....

So I guess I'll just keep her on tap water since it was she seems to like best. The rest of my family, my hamster, and dogs drink the same water and they've never had any problems so I'm assuming it'd be alright. Though if anything ever does come up I'll definitely switch, but for now I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing. c:

Thank you for the input though!

I can't comment on the safety of tap water, but I do know she won't refuse water forever. When she gets thirsty, she'll drink (unless she is actually ill). I would give it a few days and not worry too much about just a few hours or a day of not drinking.

I've always used filtered water (the same water I drink), is this fine? He drinks a lot of water btw. And I would never give my chinchilla along with my pets tap water..I don't even wash fruits and vegetables with tap water.

Hm, I'm still not really sure which way I'll go, but I'll definitely think it over. It really doesn't seem like the tap water around here is really all that bad. It doesn't taste or even smell bad so perhaps it wouldn't hurt to just leave her on that for now. Though I don't really want to risk anything ever happening. I do like hearing everyone's opinions though and which they think is best. Maybe it'll help me make up my mind. :]

Thanks for all the input so far!

That's something that is positive. Our tap water smells pretty bad and tastes bad, so we have to get the reverse osmosis for us and the animals. Also, we have contaminated water from the mines in our area, it's best to avoid drinking it.

It's good to hear that you have decent tap water. In Arizona I never recommend using tap water because of how many chins get sick from it. I'm sure that not all the water is bad, it seems like it's in little pockets in certain cities.

I don't trust tap water for us or the animals so my husband got a water bottle system we get bottles delivered once a month

the animals seem to really like the cooler water on the hotter days .. spoiled rotten :)

I had always used tap water for me and my chins, then we moved across the state and I wasn't sure if it was safe or not. I found out that municipalities are required to publish a report with all the results for tests done on water. I think it comes out every 5 years and is called the Consumer Confidence Water Report. Your city/town should have one available to you either at city hall or online. I still use tap water for me and my chins, but have a filter pitcher on hand just in case.

Latest posts

Back