"Was" an emergency choking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Dusters

Not sure where to put this story. Your welcome to move it.

I thought it important to write this story in hopes that it will help anyone who has had this sudden emergency of choking.

While watching tv last night one of the chins started making a horrible wretching noise. You have never seen a woman move as fast as I did. I ran into the dark room and turned on the light. Not sure what cage is was comming from. It was one of my new mothers standing on her hind legs holding the cage bars wretching and choking.

I remember the info I had read in here a very long time ago. I pulled her out upside down holding her at the base of her tail near the body. I flung her towards the floor in the pendulum movement twice and pulled her to my arms. She is still choking. The next series of pendulum swinging I gave her two swings that had to be about 8 g's. ( I can laugh now)

Pulled her back into my arm and it was clear. I sat down in a chair and held her for a bit just to be sure all was well. She continued to make an odd sound as if calling a kit. After several minutes of hiding her head in the crook of my arm she was fine. She then sat in my hands and I put my head over her neck and she remained still. I believe it was her way of telling me thank you.

Checked on her before going to bed. She was fine. And this morning she remains her own little self. I hope this helps anyone who may face this same problem. The hay I have is a first cut and I think she was eating it and it just stuck in the throat.

Oh wow!! So glad your baby is okay! Now you are making me think, I never really considered what would happen if one of my chins were choking. Thank you for the information!!!

I am so glad your baby is ok!

I think it would be very educational, and potentially life saving, if someone could make a video of this swinging technique (using a stuffed animal or something) so other members could become familiar with how to do this. I had something similar happen with CC a few weeks ago and at first had no idea what to do even though it was described to me over the phone. Choking happens so fast that rushing to the vet really isn't an option.

Again I'm so glad your baby is ok!

I am so glad your baby is ok!

I think it would be very educational, and potentially life saving, if someone could make a video of this swinging technique (using a stuffed animal or something) so other members could become familiar with how to do this. I had something similar happen with CC a few weeks ago and at first had no idea what to do even though it was described to me over the phone. Choking happens so fast that rushing to the vet really isn't an option.

Again I'm so glad your baby is ok!

I completely agree. I'm still confused as to what position you hold them in when you bring them back towards your arms. And does that even mean you stop the swinging--I just have no idea how to go about this swinging business.

Dusters--I'm very glad you did, though!!!

It's pretty much the same concept as a puppy swing- what people use when puppies are born to get fluid out of their lungs. I used to work as a vet tech so I was trained in the swing. I can't really describe how I did it with my choking chin because it was just a blur really..I wasn't really thinking about doing it, I was just acting.

It's pretty much the same concept as a puppy swing- what people use when puppies are born to get fluid out of their lungs. I used to work as a vet tech so I was trained in the swing. I can't really describe how I did it with my choking chin because it was just a blur really..I wasn't really thinking about doing it, I was just acting.

Yea I have no idea how to do a puppy swing either. I worked at a vet hospital but never encountered that or was trained. And most of my animal science classes deal with typical livestock and I don't think you can exactly pick up a calf and swing it around...ha.

Thanks everyone.

You grab the chin by the base of the tail. Where the tail connects to the body. Hold VERY FIRM. Extend animal out in front of you. Since I am right handed the tail is in that hand. My left hand is holding the body. With one quick movement you let the chin fall from the left hand and swing the animal staight down in a pendulum. I gave two swings and listened. You catch the animal in front of you with each swing.

Since she was still choking I repeated for another two swings. I used more force on the second set. Poor dear must of been light headed for pulling about 8 g's.

Good job Alex! Momma chin told me this was NOT the Chin Spin she was asking for Christmas though and has changed her mind about wanting one now, instead she wants nice safe chin treats.

I tried finding a video but did not see one. I have seen it done while helping my friend with her puppies because she does c-sections. I don't feel comfortable doing it with puppies because they are so slippery right afterwards. Maybe with a chin it would be easier since there is a tail and they aren't soaking wet.

I'm not a big fan of how they do it in the video - there's too much risk of the puppy (kit) slipping out of your hands if you hold them that way.
The way I was taught was to put the kits head between your index finger and your middle finger (keeping them open, but just closed enough that their front feet will hit your fingers and prevent them from slipping out). Place that thumb gently on their chest and cup your other hand underneath your thumb.
I'll see if I can't find some item in my house to use as an example and take a pic.

Okay, you're going to have to do a lot of extrapolation here. I'm using a sprinkle container. The part where it flares out will be the front shoulders of the kit and the bottle neck will be the head and neck of the kit. The trick is to keep your fingers loose enough to not obstruct the airways but secure enough to keep the kit in your hand. It's really not so hard when you hear a kit with fluid in its nose and the adrenaline is pumping.

Attachments

• swing.jpg
    swing.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 18
  • swing2.jpg
    swing2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 14
Back