Vegan Thanksgiving Menu Items

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Any one have any vegan recipes that they always use for Thanksgiving? I haven't been able to make a good pumpkin pie! I keep trying different recipes and can't ever get one to come out right! :(

Just saw this on the Whole Foods website and remembered this thread...

Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Pie

Serves 12

Silken tofu is a priceless ingredient when it comes to making smooth and creamy pies like this one. Vegan pumpkin pecan pie will stand up well on any holiday dessert buffet.
Ingredients

Crust
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening

Filling
1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm lite silken tofu, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup pecan halves, divided
Non-dairy topping (optional)
Method

For the crust, pulse flour, pecans, salt and sugar in a food processor until pecans are finely ground. Add shortening and pulse until almost combined, then add 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until just blended. Gather dough into two balls then press each into a disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for several hours until firm.

When ready to make the pie, set one disc out at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften slightly. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a (10- to 11-inch) circle and carefully transfer to a (9-inch) pie plate. Press crust back together where needed and crimp edges as desired; chill until ready to use. (Reserve remaining pie dough for another use.)

Preheat oven to 400°F. For the filling, blend tofu in a food processor until creamy and smooth. Add pumpkin, sugar, 1/4 cup of the syrup, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and purée until smooth; set aside.

Reserve 8 pecan halves as a garnish then toss remaining pecans with remaining 2 tablespoons syrup and arrange evenly on the bottom of the pie shell. Pour pumpkin filling into pie shell and bake until just set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.

Set pie aside to let cool then top with non-dairy topping, if you like, and decorate with reserved pecans.

This is the recipe that Ellen Degeneres's chef uses. I personally would double check the ingredients of the Pillsbury crust. Make sure they use vegetable shortening.

Pumpkin Pie (makes 2 pies)

2 cans pumpkin
1T + 1 tsp. Corn starch
3/4 cup agave syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice

1 package Pillsbury pie crust

Crimp the top edge for effect. In a bowl, mix ingredients until well incorporated. Spoon half of the mixture into pan and bake in pre-heated oven at 420° for 15 minutes. Then drop oven temp to 350° and continue to bake for an additional 40 minutes.

Read more: http://ellen.warnerbros.com/recipes/dessert/pumpkin_pie_makes_2_pies_1211.php#ixzz162Ra6GJ6

Oooo...I am going to have to try those! Thanks.

We don't really have a big thanksgiving meal here. I have a recipe for a really good cranberry coffee cake. Would you like that? I'll have to type it out because it's still handwritten in my little recipe box. :)

Oh yum! It really makes me want some pie. Thanks for the recipes! I always get, I think it is Wholly Wholesome frozen pie crusts, they are very good and vegan. So, I could use that instead of the pillsbury. I had also been searching for a pecan pie recipe! Thanks again!

AZchins, I would be interested in the cranberry coffee cake. Thanks!

The main dish at my friend's "Fakesgiving" meal this week was a stuffing/dressing/filling casserole w/ MorningStar Farms chicken substitute patties shredded into it. The stuffing part was based on this recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/vegetarian-stuffing-2/Detail.aspx without the poultry seasoning and the optional ingredients, but with celery added (for a little moisture as well as tradition). To make it vegan, swap the mushroom soup for more vegetable broth. In the end, the omnivores among us didn't even notice it wasn't stuffing straight from the bird, and the vegetarians loved it. :)

Also, a vegan gravy recipe: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/vegetarian-gravy/Detail.aspx (we skipped the yeast) that ROCKED my SOCKS OFF! I'm a pretty hard-core omnivore when it comes to Thanksgiving dinner, but were I not cooking for my parents (who are pretty anti-vegan) I'd be making this instead of the usual. It has SO MUCH more flavor and a way better texture than a drippings-based sauce.

Does anyone have any good tofurkey recipes?? I'm trying to cook some items for myself and the other vegetarians in the family this year :))

I make the Tofurkey Feast baked by package directions but in a simple mushroom gravy. It's super yummy, and keeps it moist. I'm still not sure how I feel about their stuffing, but it's edible for a once a year thing. haha

I'm at work atm, but when I get home I have a few vegan and vegetarian recipes I have used for the holidays that I can post... Rosemary bread, mushroom stuffing, chocolate cupcakes, and I'm sure I have a few more...

Rosemary Bread

Ingredients:
1 tbsp sugar
1 c warm water
1 tbsp yeast
2 tbsp vegan margarine
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 c flour
2 tbsp fresh (or you can also you dried, but I prefer fresh) chopped rosemary (I like to be generous with this since I like a very herby bread)

Directions:
1-Blend sugar, water, and yeast a in large bowl or food processor. Let the mixture become bubbly. Add 1 tbsp margarine, salt, and 2 cups flour.
2-Add one tbsp of the rosemary. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand, or about 5 minutes in food processor, until smooth and elastic. Add more flour if necessary.
3-Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Put in a warm place and let dough rise for one hour until doubled. Punch down and divide dough in half. Let rest for about 5 minutes.
4-Shape dough into 2 small loaves, or you can also make 4 small rolls. Sprinkle remaining rosemary over loaves and press lightly into the surface. Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 min. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5-Grease a baking pan or sheet and place loaves on it. Bake 15 to 20 min, until lightly browned. Brush with remaining vegan margarine, and salt if desired.

Wild Mushroom Stuffing

Ingredients:
12 oz rustic bread
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium white onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz button or crimini mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces
12 oz chanterelle or other wild mushrooms, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 bay leaves
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp dried rubbed sage leaf or Herbes de Provence
2 c vegetable broth
Salt to taste
1 handful fresh parsley leaves, minced

Directions:
1-Cut bread into 1-inch cubes and put into a large bowl.
2-Melt butter in a large skillet. Saute the onion and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms, bay leaves, smoked paprika, sage leaf/Herbes de Provence and 1 tsp of salt.
3-Cook mushrooms, stirring frequently. Drain the liquid it gives onto the bread cubes and toss. Repeat every couple of minutes until the mushrooms are tender and browned. Add mushrooms to the bread and toss.
4-Add vegetable broth, 1/2 cup at a time, tossing in between until you like the texture (you may not need to use all of the broth). Add salt to taste. Add in the parsley. Toss and serve immediately.

Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
(From Chef Chloe Coscarelli)

http://chefchloe.com/sweets/chocolate-strawberry-shortcake-cupcakes.html

Ingredients:
Chocolate Cupcakes
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose flour plus ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup coffee, water, or coconut milk
½ cup canola oil
2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Frosting
1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 to 5 tablespoons soy, almond, or rice milk
Garnish
1 ½ cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries
Powdered sugar

Directions:

To make the Chocolate Cupcakes:
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans with 14 cupcake liners.
-In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together coffee, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
-Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.

To make the Frosting:
-Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the shortening until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon nondairy milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. You may not need to use all of the nondairy milk. Beat on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.

To assemble the cupcakes:
-Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, slice off the top 1/3 of each cupcake and slather with frosting and sliced strawberries. Place the top of the cupcake back on top and add an additional bit of frosting and sliced strawberries. Dust with powdered sugar.

Back