Vacation suggestions for Oregon and Washington?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sycamore Chins

Everyone was super helpful giving me ideas for my vacation to CA. I had everything planned out, tickets bought, car rented and now our plans are changing.
The main goal was to see my grandfather, which is especially important now that he was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer (metastasis in his brain) just over a week ago. He is beginning treatment in Phoenix but is quickly being whisked up to Portland to be closer to family and closer to hospitals.

We are flying into Portland, driving up to Seattle and then flying out of Seattle. Dec. 18th-Dec 24th. We've got 7 days, though 2 are pretty flight-filled. I'm super tempted to cross into Canada (Vancouver). And DEFINITELY going to arrange a whale-watching boat of some sort. I will :puke: my head off but I will do it!!!

Any suggestions for things to see/do around Portland and Seattle? We like to glimpse the tourist-y areas and spend time enjoying what locals do. We like nature, I LOVE architecture and anything involving animals(duh). I'd also like to splurge for one super unique thing in each city (ex. took my mom to see Phantom of the Opera on broadway in London).
Thank you guys!!!

Here are my top spots for Seattle. Orca Island, Pike's Place Farmer's Market (it's a must), visit the Space Needle, and take the Underground Tour. You can also take the Duck Tour through the city. Did I mention Orca Island? :D It's my FAVORITE place to visit. If you are up for a drive, Snoqualme Falls are beautiful. Roslyn WA is also a neat town to visit. It's an old coal mining town, they filmed Northen Exposure there. It's also home to one of my favorite pizza joints, Village Pizza. If you are going to drive to Canada, stop at Roslyn and don't forget your passport. Enjoy Seattle, it really is a beautiful city.

I almost forgot, Mt St. Helens. If you are driving from Portland to Seattle it's a site you may want to stop and visit. The Pacific Northwest is, at a minimum, a beautiful area to visit.

EDIT: I did forget. Visit my Alma Matter, University of Washington! :D

I don't have any suggestion, but if you get to visit Washington state, the west side has a lot more to offer vs Eastern, where I am. I do just want to say how sorry I am about your Grandfather. I hope your able to make some memories with him while your there!

I meant to say Alma Mater, not matter. Sheesh. I am very sorry to hear about your grandfather.

I've only been out to Washington once, but if you have a little time to drive about I'd suggest going to the Olympic Peninsula and check out the rainforests! I love nature and it was really an awesome and beautiful experience.

I copied this from another online source (even though I live in this area! lol)

Spend youir time in Seattle at the Seattle Center (where the Space Needle, Experience Music Project, and Pacific Science Center are all located) or (if the weather is nice) on the waterfront.

Your best time will probably be had on the Olympic Peninsula, which is where I live. If you like hiking forest trails, there are hundreds of them, many of which are close to the highway and short and easy (I recommend Marymere Falls trail--30 minutes of easy hiking to a spectacular waterfall, and 30 minutes back).

Sequim (on the way to Port Angeles) is a quaint little town with some interesting shops and is home to Olympic Game Farm (which you can drive through and be surrounded by wild animals running loose, including some of Disney's former movie star animals. It's a lot of fun, if you don't mind your car being slobbered on!)

Port Angeles is directly across from Victoria BC. It's a nice small town, although not particularly exciting except for it's closeness to a number of spectacular attractions. Hurricane Ridge is one of the world's most spectacular viewpoints, and is 17 miles directly up the mountain from downtown Port Angeles. DON'T MISS IT if its a clear (or even partly cloudy) day! And, if you have the time, you can make a day trip of Vctoria BC by taking the morning ferry out of Port Angeles (60-plus minute trip) to Victoria, walking around town, and then back to Port Angeles on the afternoon boat.

Forks is nice for what it is near (rugged Pacific Ocean beaches, Hoh Rain Forest trails, etc.). But is is a small logging town of 3,000 and there are limited things to do in the town itself (unless you're into "Twilight" and want to take the guided tour of fictional sites in the book).

And some suggestions from me:

Woodland Park Zoo is amazing to visit!

If you plan to go to Canada, you need to have a visa or an enhanced driver's license. Don't go up on a Friday or through the weekend unless you like to sit in long lines!

It's getting cold here now, so dress for rain and colder temps.

And I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather :(

I hope you have a great trip!

A note on Jenn's post: In both Port Angeles and Forks I have restaurant suggestions: Bella Italia was great when I went but that was a long time ago before the Twilight phenomenon so I can't really say how much it has changed since then. Also in Forks the Fork's Diner has really yummy breakfast.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! Keep em coming!
And thank you for the thoughts for my grandfather. It was quite sudden, he had his 80th birthday on the 3rd and that night was being rushed to the hospital and told he had a mass in his lung and brain. His radiographs 4 months ago were clear. The doctors in Phoenix are being less than helpful and we're all very frustrated. We're hoping he has doctors in Portland that actually talk to each other before telling my mom and uncles 3 different things!

I think the olympic peninsula and rainforests sound fantastic! Hopefully it won't be too cold and dreary when we go!

Are passports and US driver's licenses okay to drive into Canada? We've both got up to date passports.

Passports and US driver's licenses should be fine to cross into Canada.

Something similar happened to my grandfather, he was in remission then 6 months after clean scans it was back. I hope they are good doctors and you get to spend some good time with him. If you take pictures on a digital camera on a day trip you could show them to him!

sorry to hear about your reasons for going. Definitely check out Canada if you have the time. it is not very far! Seattle is more unique looking and charming when it comes to city architecture but it can't beat the sea wall walk around Stanley Park in Vancouver ;)

I respect Oregon because it is the only state with a Death with Dignity law...

It's pretty up that way, we ate at this Thai restaurant near the border on the bay (port?) we could see the Canada side the boats, and the US side, the food was good, the company was awesome ( I miss my friend! ). Can't remember the place we ate, but it was a cute little town, Blaine I think?

It's pretty up that way, we ate at this Thai restaurant near the border on the bay (port?) we could see the Canada side the boats, and the US side, the food was good, the company was awesome ( I miss my friend! ). Can't remember the place we ate, but it was a cute little town, Blaine I think?

Blaine is right on the border and they used to have a really good seafood restaurant but it's been years since I ate there and I don't know if it is still around.

If you had the time, the drive up the Oregon coastline is really worth it. Incredibly beautiful and you'll take a lot of pics!

If you had the time, the drive up the Oregon coastline is really worth it. Incredibly beautiful and you'll take a lot of pics!

Very true! I forgot all about the drive up the coast.

Washington is actually the second state now with the Death with Dignity Law, but Oregon was the first.
Oregon still rocks over Washington though! If it wasn't for our schools I'd move back in a heart beat.

Best of luck to your grandpa!

There are lots of things to do around both cities though it will be a living heck with traffic and weather that close to Christmas. I recommend (unless the weather is clear and dry.. yea right) sticking around the cities, both have beautiful lights displays and parades. In Seattle you can get almost anywhere interesting (Piers/Pike Place/EMP/Space Needle/Underground Seattle) via the monorail. You really do not want to be driving there if it is cold or icy. It's so steep in places you'll have difficulty walking if it's slick.

If you head up in the summer/fall I recommend the ice caves, San Juan Islands - whale watching if it's the right time of year... San Jans are awesome, you can get on the ferry and island hop. The whale boats do leave out of Seattle from the Pier just down from Pike Place. You should be able to walk to it - though I would call now to see if they are running the boats then.

FYI - you will want to stay very close to the airport on the 24th. Get there 3-4 hours early, sometimes it takes several hours to get through the scanners that time of year. Traffic is INSANE. Try to take a cab or stay at a hotel that offers a shuttle. :))

The weather is usually very grey and foggy without much visibility that time of year. All of the national parks have cameras, if you are dead set on hitting them check the cameras on their sites. Sometimes they get snowed in too. Have fun!!

Last edited:
Back