Vacation suggestions for Oregon and Washington?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, our flight is at 8am Christmas eve, so hopefully we'll beat the mad rush!
I would cackle madly, but instead I'll just tell you that the traffic in Seattle never dies, it is just slightly lesser between 11PM and 4AM. Business like Boeing, Starbucks and Microsoft run 24/7. So does the airport, it is an international airport and the volume of people never fail to impress me.

I always book my flights for 5:50AM so I can get to the airport before the morning traffic congestion starts @ 4:30AM. I leave Everett at 3:00AM, it is a 45 minute drive to the airport and it still takes me close to an hour to get through the scanners, in April it took 1.5 hours, hoping that was an unusual occurrence. Will let you know in a few weeks when I get back. lol.

Arrive early, take a book. They offer free wireless and lots of cafes and places to hang out.

As a Vancouver native, who flies home for the holidays, give Vancouver a miss this trip. I LOVE the city, but there's not much to do or see in december. if you really want to cross to Canada, think about taking a ferry to Victoria (I'm not sure if the leave from Seatle of not). taking a ferry can be nice and i've heard the Victoria does a nice holiday light show. in generaly Victoria is more "British" than hip/cool, sporty Vabcouver, but I think it makes a better winter day trip - if you do it book "tea" someplece.

Oh and assume it will be wet and foggy. My husband only say that part of the world in December (until this summer) and was convinced that the sun never shines out there.

As for whale watching, check the boats... I think it's off season as most whales migrate and they "summer" in that area

Can't recommend places in either state as I've never been there, but I do fancy myself a bit of an expert on this particular Trail that will get you to Oregon. Now, first things first, make sure you stock up on some ammunition at the start... you'll probably need that to hunt at some point. Think carefully about how you're going to cross that river... there are definite consequences to your choices. And, of course, watch out for cholera and dysentery... they're real killers. Might take out family one-by-one... oh the funerals I have attended... Best of luck!

I'm a sucker for Pike Place Market and anything along the water. Downtown Seattle has awesome restaurants too. I'm jealous!!

Can't recommend places in either state as I've never been there, but I do fancy myself a bit of an expert on this particular Trail that will get you to Oregon. Now, first things first, make sure you stock up on some ammunition at the start... you'll probably need that to hunt at some point. Think carefully about how you're going to cross that river... there are definite consequences to your choices. And, of course, watch out for cholera and dysentery... they're real killers. Might take out family one-by-one... oh the funerals I have attended... Best of luck!

:laughitup: It was always the water crossing that did my family in!!!

Thank you everyone for the suggestions - I have to fit in a zoo somewhere!

Anyone familiar with the Pacific Northwest Ballet or McCaw Hall in Seattle? Trying to figure out why some of the seating options are cheaper...even though they're closer to the stage.

If you plan on spending at least 3 days in Seattle and want to do the touristy stuff, look into the City Pass (http://www.citypass.com/seattle). Its a great deal and a lot of fun. With the exception of the Zoo (and Flight Museum...but go to the zoo if the weather isn't awful), most of the attractions are not very far from each other.

Be sure to look into whale watching in December. I think some species are migrating this time of year. You may have better chances of sightings from Portland.

Trying to figure out why some of the seating options are cheaper...even though they're closer to the stage.
Acoustics and stage visibility depending on the production. Also can get kind of smokey if they're using cannons.

Think carefully about how you're going to cross that river... there are definite consequences to your choices. And, of course, watch out for cholera and dysentery... they're real killers.
LOL!! That made my morning... thanks!

If you want to cross over to Vancouver, I would recommend driving a little further east and using one of the less used border crossings like Blaine or Abbotsford. The wait at the Peace Arch can be a bear. You can go online and check and see how long the wait at each crossing is.
Other things to see this time of year are the German style town of Leavenworth. It is a couple hour drive but the scenery is magnificent. On the way back you can stop at Boehms Chocolate Factory in Issaquah, you can view them making the chocolate in their swiss chalet style factory.
The drive to Forks is breathtaking, the town itself, njaaa, I went because I have teenage daughters.
Sequim is one of my favourite places on the Olympic Penn. Because of the rainshadow phenomenon it recieves far less rain then the rest of the PNW. Summer is the best time to go there for all the lavendar farms, but winter is pretty awesome too. Stop in Port Townsend on your way either there or back. If you go to the gamefarm be sure to take towels to put over the ledge of your windows as the buffalo tend to be very friendly and extremely slobbery and will stick their heads in your car if given the chance. I would recommend taking the ferry over and then driving back along the Hood Canal if it isn't to late as it is a spectacular drive.
A ferry ride or a boat tour of Elliot Bay with Argosy cruises is always fun. Their lunch cruise is about $50. and dinner about $70 or so. They also have a cruise to Tillicum Village where you are fed a delicious salmon dinner and treated to a Native American show.
If you want to walk or drive on the beach of the Pacific Ocean, a little personal plug, as we have a wonderful little vacation home just 400 yards back from the ocean in the little fishing town of Westport Washington. Our winter rates are only $80.00 a night during the winter and a little bit more on holidays. You can check it out at www.katescottageinwestport.com if you are interested. Going to the ocean in the winter is one of my favourite things to do, especially when we have winter storms.
Boeing has a tour of their plant in Everett Washington and then of course there is the Museum of Flight at Boeing Field in Seattle. Admission to the museum is free on Thursdays I believe.

Best of luck to your grandpa!

There are lots of things to do around both cities though it will be a living heck with traffic and weather that close to Christmas. I recommend (unless the weather is clear and dry.. yea right) sticking around the cities, both have beautiful lights displays and parades. In Seattle you can get almost anywhere interesting (Piers/Pike Place/EMP/Space Needle/Underground Seattle) via the monorail. You really do not want to be driving there if it is cold or icy. It's so steep in places you'll have difficulty walking if it's slick.

If you head up in the summer/fall I recommend the ice caves, San Juan Islands - whale watching if it's the right time of year... San Jans are awesome, you can get on the ferry and island hop. The whale boats do leave out of Seattle from the Pier just down from Pike Place. You should be able to walk to it - though I would call now to see if they are running the boats then.

FYI - you will want to stay very close to the airport on the 24th. Get there 3-4 hours early, sometimes it takes several hours to get through the scanners that time of year. Traffic is INSANE. Try to take a cab or stay at a hotel that offers a shuttle. :))

The weather is usually very grey and foggy without much visibility that time of year. All of the national parks have cameras, if you are dead set on hitting them check the cameras on their sites. Sometimes they get snowed in too. Have fun!!

Instead of staying at a hotel by the airport, I would recommend checking out the prices of hotels in Renton or Tukwila, they are only minutes from the airport and probably much cheaper, the same with car rentals. You can pm me about the hotels or anything else if you need info. I live about 15 minutes from Seatac Airport and half an hour from downtown Seattle.

Argosy Cruises also has a Christmas cruises on Lake Washington and Lake Union to see the lights.

Other things to see this time of year are the German style town of Leavenworth. It is a couple hour drive but the scenery is magnificent. On the way back you can stop at Boehms Chocolate Factory in Issaquah, you can view them making the chocolate in their swiss chalet style factory.
lol, I believe you've got your passes backwards there. Leavenworth is over Stevens Pass, Issaquah heading up over Snoqualmie. Can also ski/snowboard/tube on both passes if that is your sort of thing. I also agree with Leavenworth, it is an awesome place to visit.

You are right about the passes, but if you want a change in scenery coming back you go south on 97. It takes you down to Cle-Elum and Roslyn where .Northen Exposure was filmed. Then get on.I-90 and head over Snoqualmie pass. The skiing etc there is pretty awesome and we have already had a good dump of snow. I have never been over Stevens Pass but the scenery coming over Snoqualmie Pass is breathtaking. You can stop in Northbend to do some Christmas shopping at the factory outlet mall.Then exit at the Fall City exit and go to the Snoqualmie Falls which are spectacular. A little further up the road is the antique train museum in the town of Snoqualmie. Get back on the freeway and next stop is Boehms chocolates in Issaquah. There is also a salmon hatchery a few blocks from there with a self guiding tour.
Viking Chinchillas is just minutes north in the town of Sammamish. Hope this helps.

As a Vancouver native, who flies home for the holidays, give Vancouver a miss this trip. I LOVE the city, but there's not much to do or see in december. if you really want to cross to Canada, think about taking a ferry to Victoria (I'm not sure if the leave from Seatle of not). taking a ferry can be nice and i've heard the Victoria does a nice holiday light show. in generaly Victoria is more "British" than hip/cool, sporty Vabcouver, but I think it makes a better winter day trip - if you do it book "tea" someplece.

Oh and assume it will be wet and foggy. My husband only say that part of the world in December (until this summer) and was convinced that the sun never shines out there.

As for whale watching, check the boats... I think it's off season as most whales migrate and they "summer" in that area
There is the Victoria Clipper that leaves from Seattle, but that is a walk on ferry. There is the drive on ferry that leaves from Port Angeles. The waves could be rough as you get half easy across.
Don't know if it was mentioned but you will need to get an enhanced drives licence to
crossthe border.

There is the Victoria Clipper that leaves from Seattle, but that is a walk on ferry. There is the drive on ferry that leaves from Port Angeles. The waves could be rough as you get half easy across.
Don't know if it was mentioned but you will need to get an enhanced drives licence to
crossthe border.

Sorry for typos, autocorrect was not helping.

It's not a Portland only show, but you'll be visiting while Cavalia is here in the Pearl District of Portland. If you haven't seen it, you may want to put it on your list. It's an amazing Cirque du soleil show featuring horses (all male, 18 of which are Stallions). It tours the world, and is absolutley amazing.

It's not a Portland only show, but you'll be visiting while Cavalia is here in the Pearl District of Portland. If you haven't seen it, you may want to put it on your list. It's an amazing Cirque du soleil show featuring horses (all male, 18 of which are Stallions). It tours the world, and is absolutley amazing.

That would be amazing! I'll definitely look into it!

I just booked our hotel for Portland. It's a pretty spiffy hotel, the best I've ever stayed in! Thanks to my moms new AARP membership we got a really good deal! We deserve some spoiling!

Well, I survived my trip down and back. Traffic was evil h*ll as usual, made even more interesting by the freezing fog that kept rolling in and the icy roads. Saw the sun twice - well, three times if you include where we made it above the fog in the airplane when leaving. The entire western side of the state and ocean was covered except for the mountain peaks, it was really beautiful.

I ended up hiking a bunch in the park, can't be depressed about it being grey under the tree canopy. It's also 10-20 degrees warmer under there and the leaves were falling. Made for some breathtaking adventures. During the day it was in the mid 30's-40's.

Sea-Tac is under construction as usual. Busy, they scanned me twice because the scanner wasn't working however it only took me 30 minutes to get through which is a record. They oversold every flight I was on so you'll want to watch out for that, one was oversold by four seats. Ouch to those poor people.

Hope you have a fun trip - can't wait to see pics!

Back