URI seven month old

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
My new little one magnum had a wet eye today with a little whistle in his breathing. Ill have no problem getting an appointment tomorrow afternoon/late morning. I have some tms on hand and I wondered what you think of me starting him on it tonight . Uri scare me so much but I don't know if it will make a difference if I give it tonight or start tomorrow. I also don't know if tms is appropriate for a young chin.

I keep antibiotics on hand here for use with any problems that can pop up if I can't get to the vet right away - in the middle of the night, holidays, times when I can't find a vet to see a chin right away.

It probably wouldn't hurt the chin to give the TMS, but it is something that you probably should only give under direction of a veterinarian. If it were me and one of the chins had the symptoms of an upper respiratory infection, I'd start them on the meds right away... I guess you should do what you feel comfortable with doing at this point. Just make sure to have that chin looked at by the vet as soon as you can.

I also have antibiotics on hand and if it was the case of a URI start the chin on it while on the phone with the vet.

We have an appoiintment right after I get off of work today. I didnt give it to him because with him being young I was unsure about appropriate anti biotic. I hope hes okay until then. Im worrying. I just noticed the symptoms yesterday and I do spend quite a bit of time with him so hopefully it has only been one day

The thing with URIs is that by the time they show symptoms they usually are very sick. Sometimes a few hours makes a huge difference. If he hasn't gotten any worse overnight, he should be alright. Hopefully he will come through this right away.

i believe the tms is safe for young chins but you would need to adjust to the dose according to his weight. good luck at vet today.

I have given TMS to 2 day old kits. A quick search on here could have put your mind at ease as to the use of TMS.

I absolutely would start the chin on TMS until you get to the vet. As Susan said, by the time you see symptoms of a true illness, they are already very sick.

I have used TMS safely with kits under a week old. It is the safest antibiotic
to use as it also does not tend to cause the gut to slow or appetite loss. However, in a bad URI, it may not be strong enough.

It's Baytril that is not recommended for use in kits and growing youngsters because it can affect the cartilage, I believe, especially if given over a long perod of time. In a severe case though, it may be necessary.

update: He is doing good. The vet heard little congestion and gave an anti biotic. I think I was lucky as you all are saying it could have been worse. How do you keep antibitoics on hand? My vet wont give it to me without an appt with each chin.

I have a large herd and my vet can justify letting me have the medication because he has instructed me on its use and when I use it I contact him. Some vets aren't very trusting and will only give you enough for one course of treatment. You could ask for some extra to keep around in case you need it, but the vet may say that he needs to see each chin before he can let you have it. Medications are controlled substances so they have to be careful, some states are more strict than others.

when i get the TMS, I get a huge regular prescription size bottle of it from my regular pharmacy.......so i alwasy have extra. and my vet gave me many refills.

for the other meds, i keep the little i have left over in case of emergency.

susan & tunes have large herds so it is much more likely a vet will prescribe without seeing based on the sheer volume and knowledge they have.

Latest posts

Back