Undesirable apple sticks!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
I have a couple of small, dwarf size apple trees and I pruned them a few weeks back and of course, cleaned and baked the trimmings for Tinkerbell. Knowing that my limited supply would run out fairly quickly, I bought 8 oz of apple sticks from Chinworld. Tink won't touch them. She absolutely loves my own sticks, she will grab it from me and run back into her cage from her pen and begin to gnaw away at it. But if I offer her one from Chinworld, she won't accept it. Can I rebake them or do something to make them more desirable? Otherwise, it was a waste of money to buy them. Also, has anyone had problems with their chin not wanting shipped apple sticks? And finally, where should I order apple sticks in the future that are a guaranteed hit? Mine will run out shortly.

Thanks!

Hmmm - big apple tree - Washington state - one chinchilla - small tummy - have you a beaver or a chin? How about your neighbors, when they trim?
Obviously, Tinkerbell wants you to make them, or nothing! Keep your eyes open in the neighborhood, and try to catch one of the guys that does tree trimming! For a couple of bucks he'll probably leave 1/2 a tree in your front yard!

Hmmm - big apple tree - Washington state - one chinchilla - small tummy - have you a beaver or a chin? How about your neighbors, when they trim?
Obviously, Tinkerbell wants you to make them, or nothing! Keep your eyes open in the neighborhood, and try to catch one of the guys that does tree trimming! For a couple of bucks he'll probably leave 1/2 a tree in your front yard!

My trees are super tiny, otherwise I'm sure I could supply her with enough. The average branch pruned is probably only 1/4 inch in diameter and there were not many branches to trim. But it would be interesting to see if I can find a farmer with apple trees that might want to give me his trimmings - as long as the're not sprayed with chemicals, right?

Even light spraying nowadays, is O.K., since you're going to scrub and bake them, anyway. But if you could find an organic farmer, you'd be safer!

I would not use wood from any trees that have been sprayed. Lightly or otherwise. No chemical spraying is safe "nowadays."

I agree, no amount of pesticide spraying would be okay in my mind. That stuff is toxic, why would you even risk it??

I've never ordered from Chinworld so sorry, I can't help you there. Their shipping always was outrageous and I never heard anything back when I emailed them one time.

I have gotten applewood from Kelly before and that's a hit. I don't know if she has any for sale right now as she hasn't been on in a while.

Even light spraying nowadays, is O.K., since you're going to scrub and bake them, anyway. But if you could find an organic farmer, you'd be safer!
Why do you continue to spout crap? Not only is a lot of your information wrong it's dangerous.

Stay away from wood that is sprayed with ANY amount of pesticide. The act of boiling and baking does not remove pesticides. You boil to kill parasites and bake to dry the wood so it doesn't go moldy.

A loooong time ago I ordered apple sticks from chinworld and Flea wanted nothing to do with them. This was before I discovered C-n-Q and started ordering from sellers on there. Pretty much any sticks that I've gotten that hadn't been prepared from someone on the forums would get snubbed.

Thanks everyone. I checked with the local famers and no one around here has organic trees. I have been contacted by someone who is going to help me out.

I just ordered some from keepyourchinup in Nebraska. The boys love it and she has lots of wood. It took a little while to get my order,(I actually forgot all about it) but I just assumed that she had to prepare the wood. Also try www.geocities/fortunatechins/index/htm. I've always had good luck with her. Carise is very fast and it's a resuce.

Chins are so funny! My chins go nutty over most apple wood, I will say they love mine the best LOL, but I have received some before that they just would not eat at all, very strange.

Diva Chins on here is shipping me a box of apple and pear sticks, so that is another option if you need. I should be getting them soon. Pachuco is already ripe with anticipation, I can tell!

Why do you continue to spout crap? Not only is a lot of your information wrong it's dangerous.

Stay away from wood that is sprayed with ANY amount of pesticide. The act of boiling and baking does not remove pesticides. You boil to kill parasites and bake to dry the wood so it doesn't go moldy.

:bowdown::bowdown: Very well said, Meanie :clap:

Thank you everybody - it seems like I have a lot of options in front of me the next time I need apple sticks! I hadn't realized there might be a difference in quality and that Tink would turn her nose to it! Picky girl - she wants only the best - as she should! :)

I would never, ever feed apple stick sprayed with pesticides...even if it was just a "little". What the heck does "now a days" have to do with anything?

O'kay chimming in here, I Live in Ny and I thought(duh) i cant use apple trees around here because EVERYBODY sprays right, NOt I have so many people that have trees in their backyards that have provided me with a TON of trimmings that I had to stop taking in anymore apple trees(I am reusing them, Ha I Live near Woodstock, people LOVE to hear you will be using it for something good) I just put the word out to family and neighbors that I would like apple, pear, ash trimmings and here they all came. I also FIRMLY stated that they cant ever been sprayed with fertilizer OR pestisides, I am getting from several Guarenteeded Organic farmers around here as well, The best place to go is your Local Health food store and ask them about Organic farmers in the area.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back