Transporting chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rebecca

That one bookworm girl...
Hello,

As some of you know, I have to foster my two boys with Tabitha (RDZCRanch) for a while. She is about six-seven hours away by car, so tonight my father suggested we may like to fly instead. We could fly a small plane down, but I'm not sure how this would be for the chins.

Pros: (much) shorter journey, easier to keep the cabin cool

Cons: cabin is loud, would the pressure be a problem? We would probably stay at under 5,000 feet, and I know others fly chins, but this isn't a commercial airline, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be safe.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I had a trio flown from Seattle to O'hare without problems - just make sure they're in small carriers, so they don't bounce around if it gets rough, and keep them cool!

Flying in a small airplane should be fine. There's another owner that I believe has flown with chinchillas before. His name is David something...my memory is just really bad, lol! If you are flying with them and you don't experience discomfort I don't see it being a huge problem for the chinchillas either. If you are uncomfortable in the plane I'd assume they aren't feeling a ton better.

Beks I can't be positive but as chins native habit is up in the mountains I'm guessing the pressure would not effect them. Also if it's 7 hours by car how long would the plane ride be? if it's half that time I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem.

And BTW, I can't believe you dad is willing to fly them in a plane!!!

How soon will she be taking in your chins? I live about an hour from San Francisco and will be driving down to Frazier Park this Saturday (the 12th) for the Empress meeting and will see Tabitha there... I am already going to have a chin in tow for someone else. A couple more won't make a huge difference. I normally bring 10 or so chins down to the Frazier Park shows! The drive to the meeting in Frazier Park is simple (all the way down I-5) and a little under 4 hrs drive for me.

Back