Transporting chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelley

I was wondering what type of carriers everyone uses for transporting their chins to the vet and such?

A cat carrier works fine as long as it's the plastic kind. You can also get metal collapsible ones from Quality Cage Company.

I've got a non-collapsable carrier from Quality Cage. I use it for transportation and also major cage cleans. It holds up well and has enough wiggle room for short spans of time. My two issues with it are a) they can reach the red plastic on the handles to chew on (I cut mine off, so bye bye problem) and b) I have a double carrier, and it would be nice to be able to only open one at a time. Overall I am really pleased with it.

If I have to take a chin to the vet I use a cat carrier, it`s just more comfortable for them in my opinion.
But if I go to a show and I take several animals I use the Ryerson carriers.

Claudia

I use 3 hole carriers from chins-to-go

carrier.jpg

If I'm transporting all my boys I use the Ryerson carriers...gah I want those Chins 2 Go carriers so bad!! If I'm ever in California that's the first place I'm going to go!

If I'm just transporting one chin or a bonded pair of chins and not for a long time, I use a cat carrier.

Oh! Ticklechin does Chins to go have a web page to order from or do you have to go to them to get one in CA like Stacie was saying?

instead of starting a new thread, i will just post in here...
the city of los angeles is doing their yearly inspection of my building on the 21st of may.. my landlord entered my apartment a few days ago to see if any changes need to be made... they need to replace the heater, bath-tub, sink and some tile in the bathroom--should only take one day from 10-5. im guessing this is a huge stress factor for my chinchilla, and id rather him not be there when theres a ton of workers in my apartment. would a cat carrier at my friends house work ok? his cage is way to big to travel with, and her apartment is pretty small. just seems unnecessary for a day. im thinking about testing him in it for a few hours to see if he chews/gets out... of course id put in some chews, a fleece liner, and plenty of water and hay. what do you guys think?

Try it out at your own house for a day, I have had mine in plastic carriers for hours at a time during the day and all they did was sleep. Overnight in a plastic carrier may be a problem since they will get bored and destructive.

oh, it wouldnt be overnight! just from 10am-5pm. i figure he will be perfectly fine since he is mostly sleeping during those hours.
im gonna try it monday in the bathroom while im at work. then we will know!

Maybe do it this weekend instead so you can peak in and see him? Have the friend put his carrier in a chin-safe area also in the slim chance he gets loose.

good idea! youre great!
we're going to keep him in her room. she has a platform bed (he cant get under it) and some book shelves. i originally wanted the bathroom, but her cats litter box is in there and shes not willing to move it.... ugh.

I just posted this in another thread but in case you don't read it I'll repeat myself. Sammy was supposed to be in a plastic cat carrier for about 8 hours but he chewed right through the round air holes in the hard plastic and escaped while I was asleep, crazy lil bugger

It sounds like most of the work will be in the bathroom - could you move his cage to an enclosed area (like a bedroom, maybe) and have music or other noise playing to help drown out the sound? That's what I've done the few times we've had to have people in our apartment for maintenance issues. At least in my case, I've found that keeping him in the same general environment (even if it's not his usual area, it still smells like home) seems to keep him calmer than moving him elsewhere. Not to mention that he's not cooped up in something he could chew his way out of for 8 hours! :)

It sounds like most of the work will be in the bathroom - could you move his cage to an enclosed area (like a bedroom, maybe) and have music or other noise playing to help drown out the sound? That's what I've done the few times we've had to have people in our apartment for maintenance issues. At least in my case, I've found that keeping him in the same general environment (even if it's not his usual area, it still smells like home) seems to keep him calmer than moving him elsewhere. Not to mention that he's not cooped up in something he could chew his way out of for 8 hours! :)

i live in a studio apartment.. so its all kind of out in the open and he will be subjected to the noise, movement, and blaring spanish music. (i only know because theyve been working on my neighbors apt) im really leaning towards my friends place as id rather be safe than sorry......
and i REALLY dont trust other people with my little one. whos to say they dont try to open the cage and mess with him or he gets out and they step on him!! i guess im just a paranoid person.

Ah, gotcha! I completely understand. I've been in a one-bedroom apartment, so at least there's that one room we can put him in if we have anyone over. Best of luck!

Back