Tradition and Issues?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoof,
Why would seaweed cause an increase in the stillborn rate? What other issues can it cause?
I don't know, but it seems to be a re-occurring problem in herds using feeds that have added seaweed, including the one I was using.

Take note that they do not say how much iron is in these feeds. Seaweed is so iron-rich it would have massively increased the amount they were getting in the feed. The side effects of iron overdose are quite serious.

It is also contains a metric crapton of iodine, and I have no idea what effect that has on chins.

My litter birth weight issue I can isolate to using calf manna as I had tried it in 2002 with similar results. Though I did not know that it was abnormal at the time as I was just getting into breeding full-swing, I definitely spotted it this go-around.

There is not a great deal of sea weed added to the feed as it only takes a very small amount. Recent research has shown it to have potent prebiotic activity in a wide variety of animals. When animals are fed feed with it, their improved gastro-intestinal (GI) tract health, improved immune status and disease reduction all result in general health improvement. Increased body condition, fine, glossy hair and fur coats and smooth body appearance are observed from the animals. The improved GI tract health is also associated with improved alertness, less nervousness and anxiety, and a better general mood and disposition.

The iron levels are not much different than what they were prior to.

I hear on here that it's bad but have heard elsewhere about seaweed added to a pellet being a great thing.

Is there a supplement that could be given with this particular seaweed in it? Iron content with pregnant or nursing female chins is crucial because of how it helps with how much the mother chins need to increase their blood volume in pregnancy. Hemoglobin in blood is vital for oxygen transport and it can only be formed with adequate amounts of iron. The tricky thing about iron is finding it in a form that is actually absorbable by the intestinal tract. If seaweed has a more absorbable form of iron in it, then that could help tremendously with pregnant or nursing mamas. The females would benefit the most because they are the most likely to become anemic, or deficient in iron.

What would be the mechanism by which the seaweed would increase intestinal function or health? Does it have a cleansing effect or a special fiber in it?

Back