Tractor Supply Bedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Foster and Smith sells Aspen bedding. I googled "aspen shavings" and a bunch of stuff popped up.

The TSC by me used to have really nice, fine shavings that I used for half of last year. Then they switched where they got them from and they are not as fine & absorbent and there are dark bark pieces in them. I get mine from Ryersons now and they are always really nice and fine.

I use TSC shavings if I'm in a bind and don't have time to drive out to my regular supplier. I used to like TSC's shavings but recently, they are pretty awful. They are dark, not as fine as they used to be, don't absorb well, and are more likely to contribute to pen staining.

Agreed with Sumiko. I'll buy them if I'm in a bind but I try to avoid TSC shavings. I prefer the shavings in the brown paper bags. They don't hold moisture and are very absorbant and soft. I have found the ones in plastic bags tend to sweat (especially in the summer) and get moldy...or have found the shavings to be damp and once laid out in the cages never dry out. I would rather skip a week of cleaning then to use TSC shavings.

Back