Toxic dog treats.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andreya

There are increasing complaints about chicken jerky treats coming from China that are making dogs sick/go into renal (kidney) failure. Here is the FDA warning:

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm280586.htm

Wagon Train is made in China (which I found out Saturday) and I have been feeding this to my dogs for over a year now... in that time my chihuahua has gotten VERY sick twice for no apparent reason and I'm wondering if the vomiting I've attributed to my Beagle's medicine, was actually from the treats I've been feeding her. I also had been giving them pupperoni, for which I can't seem to find where it is made. It only states on the bag that it is distributed in California. There is nothing on the Pupperoni website and when doing a Google search no one else seems to know either.

I had also recently been feeding Mellow Mutt chicken jerky treats that my friend gave me that boast that they are from cage free chickens and without hormones or antibiotics or bi-products, yet they are also made in China. I didn't think to look at where they were made until I read about Wagon Train.

Thanks for the information. I have been giving our dogs chicken treats from Costco for years with no problem. The article will make buy other treats for them.

I've been dehydrating my own treats lately. But I have a friend whose dog also went into Renal failure because of these treats.

My vet told me not to trust any dog treats. She said just take some of the dogs normal dog food and put it in a treat jar and every time your dog is good or wants a treat to give them a couple pieces of food. Ive been doing that for a couple months now and my dog has no idea its her food and she is just as excited to get it as she was with her old treats.

My vet told me not to trust any dog treats. She said just take some of the dogs normal dog food and put it in a treat jar and every time your dog is good or wants a treat to give them a couple pieces of food. Ive been doing that for a couple months now and my dog has no idea its her food and she is just as excited to get it as she was with her old treats.

I tried this with my dogs. The older ones fall for it. My younger 2, just lay the dog food on the floor and look at me like...where's the real treat?

I tried this with my dogs. The older ones fall for it. My younger 2, just lay the dog food on the floor and look at me like...where's the real treat?

lol Awe that is so funny! My dog is 4 1/2 and when I first tried it with her she just looked at me like "come on, where is my real treat". But after having her do some tricks and shaking the jar while asking her if she wants a treat she eventually fell for it ;)

I use grain free, USA made treats. Typically natures variety, wellness, old mother Hubbard etc. I also do grass fed/free range ears, hooves, hearts etc that are from USA sourced animals.

I use grain free, USA made treats. Typically natures variety, wellness, old mother Hubbard etc. I also do grass fed/free range ears, hooves, hearts etc that are from USA sourced animals.

I use the same brands as you. For training purposes this started to get really really expensive. Yesterday when I was grocery shopping I found some clearance beef stew meat (a roast pre cut into cubes). I chopped it up even more and then browned it. I got 2.2lbs of 100% all beef treats for $4.50. Sure does beat the 6oz bag for $6.99.

We've fed our dogs dehydrated liver treats. Nothing added to it. One of the very few treats that we trust to give our dogs.

Back