too little to tell?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloverr

rocko is my new little guy...
he was a very early xmas present, and still quite small, though it seems like he gets bigger every day.
when my boyfriend purchased him, there was no papers, but he was told Rocko is a mosaic.
I just wanted to show you guys a few pics and see if you agree.. I'm just curious I guess. :hmm:

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 75
He is a beige, and a cutie though he looks like he could use a nice dust. Blue cloud or blue sparkle are both good dusts and many people here sell them.

Yep, beige. Mosaics are a mix of white and grey.

As he gets older he may get freckles on his ears, but some beiges don't have them, you'll just have to wait and see.

i'm not an expert with colors but mosaic is a white, and to me.. he doesn't look like a white. I don't believe white mosaics have red eyes either.. i think just pink whites do.

i'm thinking beige or tan, I still haven't learned to tell the difference between those 2 colors. i'm still learning, lol.

edit: well everyone answered while i was typing up my post lol

i'm not an expert with colors but mosaic is a white, and to me.. he doesn't look like a white. I don't believe white mosaics have red eyes either.. i think just pink whites do.

i'm thinking beige or tan, I still haven't learned to tell the difference between those 2 colors. i'm still learning, lol.

Tan has the ebony gene, so the beige color wraps around the whole chin. A normal beige has a white belly. Tans can also get darker, like ebonies. Extremely dark tans can be refferred to as "chocolate" chinchillas.

re:

He is a beige, and a cutie though he looks like he could use a nice dust. Blue cloud or blue sparkle are both good dusts and many people here sell them.

wow, quick anwsers :)

I had just been handling him prior to the pic, so his fur is extra matted at the moment, you'll have to forgive me for that ;p My next order will certainly be from one of the forum vendors.
He's so funny when he dusts... he just doesn't quite have that spin down yet, he looks so clumsy! I love him though, so adorable!

Tan has the ebony gene, so the beige color wraps around the whole chin. A normal beige has a white belly. Tans can also get darker, like ebonies. Extremely dark tans can be refferred to a "chocolate" chinchilla.

ok thanks!

so its kinda similar to ebonies and standards.. beiges have white bellies like standards and tans don't like ebonies..?

edit: well everyone answered while i was typing up my post lol

From my understanding PW and White mosaics are the same thing, a white. Mosaic and PW are just selling terms. You can get a "mosaic" out of a beige/pw pairing http://www.silverfallchinchilla.com/genetics/ChinCrossCalculator.aspx . A white is a white is a white. An "Eb white" is even classified as a white on the show table. They're mainly selling terms.

chocolate chinchillas are awesome.

I've never seen one. Have you? I've seen dark tans, but never a chin that would be considered a "chocolate."

I've never seen one. Have you? I've seen dark tans, but never a chin that would be considered a "chocolate."

I believe it is Jan and Rich Ryerson that say they have seen 1 true chocolate their whole lives.....

a pink white is a beige white cross a mosaic is a standard white cross... they are not the same... on the show table a PW is pink ears white and a mosaic or a eb white is a dark ears white.. or even a white anything else (anything besides beige cross) would show as a dark ears PW are more of a creamy white and the others are a more bright white.

ya, i didn't think mosaic and pink were the same.. I don't know much but i thought they were different color crosses and had different ear and eye colors. I understand the 'selling terms' that people use, just like with dogs and designer breeds and such, but I learned from reading online what Show-MeChins was saying. but i know things you read online can be conflicting so i'm never sure lol.

Yes, genetically they are different and they have the different eye/ear colors. What she meant was at some shows, I'll use MCBA Nationals show as an example, ALL whites are judged together. Mosaics, pink whites, white violets, white sapphires, white ebonies, white whatever...they are all just called whites. The names "pink white, white violet, ebony white etc" are basically to let people know what their genetics are.

Yeah, I meant white is white when it comes to the industry for the most part.. Yes, they have different phenotypes and in some cases genotypes, but they're all classifieds as "white".

And like I showed, you CAN get a "mosaic" out of a beige/pink white crossing (if it's not a homo beige). The terms "tan white" "white eb" etc are more used for selling so you know what the line carries if it's going into breeding, or in some cases because the people will use it to get more $$$. It's still a "white" though.

Back