Tim and Rudy my new chin adoptions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just adopted to adorable chins, Rudy and Tim. They are adorable! Tim jumps off the walls and Rudy keeps trying to get out of his cage. This is my first time actually adopting a chin from someone and i can see my self doing it more in the future. I love them like i had them for years. O yea and the boys get along amazingly with my chin Rufus.

Congrats.

Please read about quarantining chinchillas. You should never let new chins have ANY contact with your previous chins for at least 30 days. This means separate cages and separate rooms. Also, just because they are getting along now, doesn't mean they will in the future. Introducing a third chin to an already bonded pair can cause the pair to begin fighting, resulting in 3 single chins.

Now that they have already had contact, quarantine is thrown out the window. Keep a close eye on all of them for any signs of illness. Keep this in mind for the future.

ok i will. but i have had the in the cage all day and have had no issues, no fighting. i havnt let them out of my sight all day, no issues at all.

The issue isn't with them fighting, the new chins could carry an illness and not be showing it, so now you could have infected your chins that you already had. With quarantine it allows the chins to get used to your household and within the 30 days you should be able to find out if they carry any illnesses as most would show up in that time period.

well we see. The point still stands that they have been acting normally and they have been getting along. How can you guys take something as positive as adopting a chin and make it into a bad situation. I've introduced chins in the past and no one got sick. just because something could happened or has happened to you doesn't mean it will happen. You know from experience that the chin could get sick and i know from experance that they usually dont so lets leave it at that.

How can you guys take something as positive as adopting a chin and make it into a bad situation.

And you could be turning something positive into something causing death. Does that bother you? Just because you've gotten lucky and haven't had anything happen to you yet does not mean it won't happen in the future. Most chin illnesses that we've dealt with through the forum generally have a 14 day incubation period. So you aren't going to see anything the very day you introduce them. That doesn't mean you won't in the future.

I don't understand why people get so arrogant and uppity when something is explained to them that is for the health and safety of their chins. Yes, I'm sure you've got more experience than allllll the combined membership of the forum, but you still might just want to consider listening to people who have tons more experience than you do.

I'm glad you were able to help some chins who needed a home. I hope you don't end up killing your chins because you know more than everyone else. <shrugs>

i am not disagreeing with them, I understand what they are saying. And in the future i will do that. And i dont know more than anyone else, I have just been on the defensive because of other postings on here. I apologize that was very helpful information. I honestly will do that in the future.

Pics or it didn't happen!

Congrats on rescuing two chins buddy. It is so rewarding giving chins in need a forever home. Enjoy 'em!

Back