This has to be bumblefoot!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbringas

I rescued a chin today from a local chin rescue (wont name anyone) I didnt want to stress the chin out so i left her alone for the car ride.... i get home and she has THESE FEET!!!!!! I immediately call the women back and she says theyre fine just chapped "thats normal". Is she right? She was also putting bag balm on them and I mean i love the chinnie but the first day i get her we have to go to a vet?! PLEASE TELL ME IM WRONG :banghead:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 176
It really doesn't appear to be bumblefoot. Bumblefoot is an infection in the paw pads, this is just a chin with dry feet with a little flakey skin on it. The redness appears to just be the color of the feet. They do look pretty normal, unless my monitor doesn't show something that you can see in person or on your computer.

I wouldn't take her to the vet if she were here, but if you are this concerned about things then go to the vet. Maybe the vet can help you figure out what is bumblefoot and what is not.

I agree with Susan - unless there is some small pocket of infection that you can see that the photo does not show.

Chinchilla feet do get dry, red and flaky. They can even open up if dry enough. Bag Balm is something that you can use to help moisturize the feet and you can also give the feet a rest by placing fleece in the chinchillas cage instead of shavings.

I have used blu-kote if the dryness appears to be turning more into open sores.

Thank you so musch you two! I'm always a nervous wreck! I have a young chin and the rescue is 2 years old so I'm in some what of a culture shock lol I try and look up alot of pictures and articles before posting and I'm always worried for nothing. I even made an appt with a vet, that I will still go to just for a check up ;D
With that being said what does this poop tell you hahahhahah shes on purina something something rabbit pellets,Ill ween her onto oxbow, Hay cubes, and the essential treats. My chin Sophia's poop is on the left, My rescue Pennys is on the right. Hers is very different in size and color, mind you Sophias not even 1, the texture is solid though so thats always good :)

Attachments

• poop.jpg
    poop.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 65
While I realize you didn't say my name, I would like to stick up for myself and clarify what I said in case my name happens to be mentioned down the line. Most chinchillas have slightly dry feet. I put bag balm on the feet of most chinchillas here, but some are just a little drier than others. The only reason you haven't noticed anything on your current chinchilla is because she is young and has brand new feeties. I would not have adopted Honey out to you if I thought there was anything wrong with her, I promise. I have never adopted out a sick chinchilla, and I don't ever plan to. Honey was here for several months to make sure she was healthy. We watch their behavior and their health to make sure we are only adopting out animals we know to be healthy and friendly. She has never shown any signs of bumble foot. Those brown spots on her feet are freckles. The rest of it is dry skin.

Most chinchillas have slightly different poop. Many rescues and breeders feed a high quality rabbit food, and many specifically feed Purina Rabbit Chow Show, which is what she is on. Oxbow is also a good food, like a mentioned when we talked about it earlier. She also got unlimited loose hay, which I do recommend you keep up since they need it to help wear down their teeth, as well as thoroughly enjoy it more than just cubes. Also want to mention that all the treats that you were given are healthy treats to give. Rosehips and the flower salad are both good for her, and something she enjoys.

To give you some reference, here are the poos from several different chinchillas here, all on the exact same diet. Not a single one looks the same. All photos are just taken within the last 2 min.

Honey (just taken before cleaning out the cage)
P1010060.jpg

Snow White
P1010061.jpg

Chula
P1010062.jpg

Tank
P1010063.jpg

Axel
P1010064.jpg

Please don't think I'm picking on you for asking questions. I'm absolutely not, and am happy as a clam that you are a member of a forum that has correct information on it. I just don't want you to think I blew you off when I told you what I did on the phone. I would never lie about a chinchilla's health or personality because I want you to know exactly what you are getting, and I want both YOU and Honey to be happy together.

Last edited:
I have four chins and they all have different looking poop. I always know who has been where during run time by the trail left behind. Lol

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you Crystal for commenting. Im glad you came to clear the air!!!! You were so calm and patient with me and my 100 questions!... I think people know though I'm a pain in the tush! She's has the sweetest temper and in no way thought she was sick due to her poo (I messaged you) and said all this... It was just my nerves an me not wanting to nag nag nag and nag ( I even called you and hung up! Hahahahaha) I love her already and p.s. I even gave my youngster Honeys herb blend! She Gobbled it up!

I have a chin who's feet look worse than that, they are so Caloused that the calous is building up and hooked around the side of her foot like some sort of messed up growth (prob because of the way she sits, likely leans to the sides of her feet)! I tried some bag balm once and it made her feet crack ! It's like they got too soft and couldent take her normal bouncyness. Because they cracked I put Blu kote on em for several days and now just monitor and don't bother with bag balm.

Crysta, I love that you photographed and posted poop photos. This is a great example of how each chin has different poop and how important it is to learn what is "normal" for each individual chin. :clap1:

Crysta, I love that you photographed and posted poop photos. This is a great example of how each chin has different poop and how important it is to learn what is "normal" for each individual chin. :clap1:

I have a lot more chin poop if anyone ever wants any pictures. :p

I would be greatly interested in any pictures of poop, good and bad. Feel free to email them to me. Oh, and bumblefoot, too!

Back