Thinking about buying him *pics*

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutiePie

Member Here :)
Hi, I posted a thread asking about the color of a chinchilla. I wanted to know because I'm interested in buying him. He's 6 months old and the person who has him said he is very cute and friendly also which is what Im wanting. We have been talking and he sounds like a perfect fit. I wasnt sure if I wanted a single chin or a pair, I really wanted a pair more but this guy just seams perfect for me. I would like to meet him first of course but Im really considering getting him.

Here are some pics

So..what color is he? Isnt he cute!? :))

But do chinchillas get lonely? I know they are social so would I HAVE to get him a friend or could he live happily being a single chinchilla? Or would it be a good idea to get him a friend later on in the future?

I will let you know if I do end up getting him. Im very excited. I hope this go around is much better!

Last edited:
He's an ebony. Some single chins do well with cuddle buddies which is a fleece stuffed toy.

I know. I was just asking others...He has to be some kind of ebony right? Not all ebonys look the same.

The only difference in the "kind" of ebony is the shade which won't be concrete until he's older. He could get darker, he could get lighter, he could stay the same. There's no difference in types of ebony. An ebony is an ebony is an ebony.

CutiePie, i'd have just him for a while, learn to love and spoil him and be his slave, lol. once you have chin keeping under your belt for a little while, then get a second. when you are ready for a second, be ready for the fact that you might need two cages indefinitely, since sometimes chins just don't wanna be friends.

i know you had a tough, albeit short time with your first go round of chin keeping, but take it slow, build up your knowledge base, gain experience, then go from there. that's my route, although i am dying to own a mosaic too, i'm making myself wait :)) my Rhino will be just fine with me giving him ample play/socialization time with me, and it strengthens our bond. i've read that when chins have cagemates, they tend to not bond quite as close with us human beans.

He's adorable. I say go and meet him. My single chin does great on her own. I give her a ton of attention and spoil her rotten. For Shelly attention can be as simple as sitting next to her cage and talking to her. Only you can make the decision. As ChinnyMom said, you must be prepared to separate the chins if they don't want to be friends. A second cage is a must.

Well..I think I might like just having one chinchilla.
I want to be able to spend one on one time and give it everything it needs :))
I was worried he would get lonely but then again, I dont work and Im home all day so I have all the time in the world to spend with him!
Thanks for the advise guys.
I will go meet him.
The lady said he is much darker in color than in those pics. They said the flash made him look gray so I guess we will see. Also, I want to hold and play with him and see his personality and if I like him, I think he might be the one!

Plus, I was considering the name Rueki for my next chinchilla but if anyone has name suggestions, feel free to let me know!!

If he's darker, he's still just an ebony. Good luck with him and make sure you keep reading through here.

I know, I get thats he is an ebony. I was just wondering if he was a extra dark, dark, medium, light..ect. Thats all..not that I really care.
But thanks. ANd yes, I'd like to stick around here.

He is an ebony!
He is a very pretty little guy!
I would go and meet him and then make your decision!
Again, you can always get another chin later on if you believe he is lonely. Or else just get him a cuddle buddy! :)

Make sure that you are getting the chin from reputable breeder. If not you can be setting yourself up for some heartbreak later on. Read the forums here, ask the breeder lots of questions. There are tons of horror stories about chins and health issues from pet stores and backyard breeders. Good luck and I hope all works out.

Latest posts

Back