The name game..what in your chins name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chin names

First chin was Spencer. Since I thought I would eventually like a pair, I thought of the famous pair Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. So - my male was named Spencer. MANY years later, I had the opportunity to get a white female named Lacey, so of course I renamed her Kate.
Although I do not keep their kits, it is fun to name them. I looked at a map of Chile for inspiration. Trio of kits were named Ande (for the Mts), Serena (for the town La Serena), and Chico. The current kits are named Tia and Rico (picked from a list of Spanish names).

My chin Pinto Bean Burrito was named such because the first time my fiance ever heard the word chinchilla, he thought it was a mexican dish. He said Chinchilla? Like a burrito? So we have always called chins Burritos and swore that our first chin was going to be named Burrito.

i have 3 chinchillas. my male beige is named drakenstein. kind of a mix between dracula and frankenstein. my standard female is named nyx. shes extremely dark. and my mosaic female is named calista. shes exactly half gray half white.

No logic behind mine, I just like to name mine with 'P' because it made me laugh :) For years I wanted 2 chins, Pokei and Poncho....then it just grew....:)

Pokei (std)
Poncho (eb)
Pineapple (mosaic)
Pow Pow (pw)
Pancake (bv)-RIP

Lady- I knew I was getting a female but I knew nothing about her, so I just started calling her Lady and it stuck.

Latte- means milk in Italian. She's a mosaic, and her markings look like she has a milk mustache.

Pythagoras- My boyfreind's first and last attempt at naming a chin. He's lost all naming privileges ;-)

i named my chinchilla rutherford after a funny nickname that i used to call my sister, ruth. people think it's sad that i named him after my sister, but it's not without reason. i've always lived with my sister, from childhood all the way up until she graduated from college last june. i knew i was going to miss her terribly, and when i finally decided to get a chinchilla, the name rutherford made perfect sense.

whenever i tell people my chinchilla's name is rutherford, they automatically think of the scientist who designed some sort of pudding test or atom-bounching-off-metal-sheets test.

When my parents came home with my first male chin, I unzipped the carrier and there, behold me, was a really fat mouse.

I thought 'Oh my gosh, it's a mouse!!!'

So.. that's his name.:)

Chico was going to be 'Marley' because it rhymes with Charlie(her mom) and it has M in the beginning like Mouse. But, I wasn't a fan of the name because Marlie in Marlie & Me, dies at the end.. and, I didn't want that to happen. lol

Charlie, I don't know what I was thinking, but I loved the name for a Chinchilla. Charlie the Chinchilla! :D

I've got Pepper. I was thinking oh I'll get a white oen to pair her with in the future that I'll name Salt...I didn't do that though lol. I got my beautiful Tov Mosaic that I named snowy instead, and my cutie pie Coy who is a standard. I don't know why I named Coy coy, but I saw him and was like he's so a Coy. =p lol.

His name is Pikachu.
I believe he's a beige.
Anyways, I named him Pikachu because the first thing he did when I picked him up was go on my shoulder, and he would stay there for a really long time, even if I was sitting on the floor or something, like the Pikachu on Pokémon! ^_^ Also it's a cute name, and chinchillas look like Pikachus, no?

This is a great thread, very helpful! If I get another chinchillas, I'll deff. have to use one of these names! They are all so unique and cute! :D

Mine boys are named Chinny and Tony,

Chinny -
my first chinchilla,, naturally i figured Chinny suited him :)

Tony-
He was a rescue who was named stitch. I later changed ti to Chilly (hes a pink white). I found that Chinny and Chilli sounded too much alike and was often calling Chinny Chilli and vise versa. My boyfriend started calling him Tony Montana because of his personallity. Tony started to pack on the pounds and now adopted the name "fat tony" from the simpsons:)

Girdy - from E.T.
Joon - from Benny and Joon
Lelu - from The Fifth Element
Audrey - after Audrey Hepburn because she's gorgeous
Goliath - he's big
Lina - from The City of Ember
Zephyr - came pre-named
Pluto - after the planet that is now not a planet
Kuiper - was intended to go with Pluto so named for the Kuiper Belt
Jupiter - son of Pluto so went with a planet name
Sydney - after the city and the Alias character
Calpurnia - from To Kill a Mockingbird
Kiwi - had just got back from New Zealand when she was born
Einstein - obvious
Gromit - from Wallace and Gromit
Sputnick - going with the spacey theme, but spelled different than the Russian robotic spacecraft

Banilly was originally named George (even though we knew she was a girl... silly) but it never really seemed to suit her. We always just ended up calling her "The Chilly." Then eventually we would sing "chilly chilly banilly banana fana fo filly, chilly!" so much that.. well... Banilly happened. Haha. We also call her Nills for short sometimes. She's probably really confused.

Pudge is named Pudge because when we got her she was really really fat. Her previous owner fed her a steady diet of peanuts and yogurt covered raisins >.< She has such big rolls under her neck, it's really difficult to give her scritches.

Pearl (standard gray) - I read that chins respond better to one or two-syllable names, and I wanted a name that didn't sound like the cats names (Dusty, Bobby, Pumba). Some pearls don't look real white, so we figured this worked, it was unique and girly enough for her.

Diamond (mosaic) - We got her about a week after Pearl, so the names weren't thought up together. Thankfully most "normal" people think their names are just after gemstones. The real story is that my husband still plays Pokemon games, and the last set of them were Diamond and Pearl. He INSISTED that since we had Pearl, and the new chin was mostly white, she HAD to be called Diamond. I didn't have a say in the matter, but at least I still liked the name. People do get confused though and think the mosaic is "Pearl" because of the color.

Nibbler got his name when I went to see him and he nibbled on my finger. But the name is also a character's name on the tv show that my fiance and I love, Futurama.
Ramble came with his name and we couldn't come up with another name, lol.
Scruffy - character name from the show Futurama.
Wiggles - character from the tv show Futurama.
Morris - character from the tv show Futurama. :))

Cheech and Chong...we wanted 2 names that went together and since Chins come from South America I was looking for names that related to Mexico or Spanish...of course Cheech is the Mexican comedian and Chong went with it as he is his partner

Chili and Patagonia...these were rescues that had a different names that I did not like (Chewie and can not remember other) we wanted names that went with the others...Mexico/S Am theme. Husband help us choose...Chili because that is the country they come from and Patagonia because this is the region they come from in Chili.

I wanted to keep with the C theme as well or that the 2 Chins had the same starting letter but got voted down...Patagonia could have been Chalupa (very popular) or Chimmie (for chimichanga), or Coffee. The both could have been Paco and Peso this was my favorite but again got voted down

All Standards...

Boji: He's missing his tail, which logically denotes a lack of balance. There are stones called Boji Stones, which are used for chakra balancing, so I decided to apply balance to his name.

Maia: In Greek Mythology was the most beautiful and shyest of the Pleiades. The name also means mother, and my intention was to breed her with Boji.

Buddha (Son of Maia and Boji): He had a huge head and a huge "Buddha Belly" as a kit. As long as no one tried to steal his nipple, the best word to describe him was Zen.

Nixi (Daughter of Maia and Boji): Di Nixi are a triad of birth dieties in Roman mythology. They're referenced as "guardians of the threshold of life" and since I had to handfeed her from the start, it seemed appropriate. Oddly enough, she now responds to three names, like Di Nixi... Nixi, Munchkin and Baby. My fault. :)

Puffy - named after Jigglypuff, a pink, round pokemon
Bevis - Boyfriend maned him after the stupid cartoon show.

Stumpy - slower offspring of puffy and bevis
Speedy - fast offspring of puffy and bevis

Chichiri - named after the monk in fushigi yugi. Turned out chichiri is actually a female and not a male.

Chewie - no idea, a friend left her or him? and never came back to get him.

Latest posts

Back