The name game..what in your chins name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

I was wondering about the meanings behind some of the interesting names I see here for chins.

If yours has some meaning or is not as simple as it seems, please post a quick reply and share your story.

I'll start:

Chili:
We got Chili during the first snow we had back in November. My daughter was with me (it was a surprise present for my wife) chin shopping. It was "chilly' outside, she said. It popped into our heads that this would be a cute name. So it stuck. We bougt him two days later, and his name was "Chili".

Chalupa:
Once we realized the word "Chili" was also a FOOD, a list of food names came out and somehow the Taco Bell Chalupa was spoken and the name stuck. (and they both begin with the letter 'C") ;)

Ben & Jerry:

We like "human" names for our animals ( as opposed to names like "Fluffy" or "Spot") so we brainstormed on 2 male names that went together & we all liked Ben & Jerry the best...and who doesn't love their icecream??!!

Jemma was actually Jimmy for a while because the pet store told me she was male and I believed them. Then when I joined on here and realized my mistake, I figured Jemma would be close to what it used to be.

Zim I named after the Invader Zim cartoons, except he is so laid back it doesn't really go with his personality, but we liked it so it stuck.

Atlas is because his dad was named Atmosphere and since he died before Atlas was born I wanted to make a sort of tribute to him and keep an A name going. Plus Atlas was 78 grams when he was born so he was a big boy. I figured Atlas would be a fitting name.

Ninja was named because of the interesting back mask he has on his face, and because for the longest time he liked to drink his water hanging upside down. He has kind of stopped that now, but I think it works for him.

Pixie I named because she was little and cute. Of course now she has caught up in size with the other kits, but she'll always be my tiny little girl.

Peanut I named because she's paired with Pixie so I wanted another P name, plus she's kind of peanut-y colored and ah, it stuck so we went with that too.

My chin Ellie was named Eli by her previous owners after Eli Manning, or someone, lol we didn't really watch football, so we renamed him after Eli Whitney, then we we discover his (her) sex, we named her Ellie. :]

Jo was anmed after Josephine Cochran who invented the dishwasher, becuase I wanted to stick with that theme (Geeky eh?) But it was a boy, so now it's Joesph...but we just call him Jo.

My brother refers to my chins as chalupas, as in how are the chalupas doing? Any new chalupas?

I used to name them whatever popped into my head and seemed to fit, but I do themes now. Pure standards are named after plants, beige and brown velvets are given meteorological terms, whites and pink whites after mythological figures, blacks are given allegorical names, and my sapphire lines are named after characters: carriers from TV, possible carriers from literature, and sapphires from Shakespeare.

Kirby, he is a light beige color and he reminded me of Kirby, the pink little character from games/cartoons.
Smokey, he is a standard, and he is grey, like smoke.
Pixel, he is a dark ebony, and I have no idea why I named him that.
Twix, he is a white violet, since I got him at the same time as Pixel, I just thought the two names sounded cool together.
Cadbury, he is a big brown velvet, I named him after the deliciously yummy chocolate candy.
Tiramisu came with his name.
Zeph came with his name.

we got our chin from a family who was moving and had to downsize her herd. All of their chins had food names, and although I can't remember what it was now, I was not fond of it. I renamed her Tinkerbell, because I had wanted a chin for a long time and couldn't believe I finally had one, and thought this was a magical moment. Tinkerbell popped into my head as a beloved fairy tale character, and the name stuck.

My little man's name is Watson! He's named after Dr.Watson from the Sherlock Holmes stories. I was thinking of naming my 2nd chin (whenever he comes) Holmes but I didn't want to make Watson the sidekick to another chin, so maybe I'll name any future chinchilla's after other prominent sidekicks from some favorite novels :)

My boy Winx was named that because when we first picked him up, he would close one eye... he would "wink" at us. He still does that to this day, and I've never noticed another one of ours do it the way he does.

Moki was originally Mocha, because she's a hetero beige, and a coffee name seemed fitting. We eventually started referring to her as "my Mocacchino" and somewhere in there my mom shortened it to Moki. We also call her Mokers.

Toby and Bailey... they were named after looking through pet name websites, those names just seemed to "fit" them.

Ember was named, along with the rescues she came with, with sort of matching names. We had Ember, Cinder, and Pokani ("dark, starless night") because they were all eb's with Pokani being an x-dark.

The rest came with their names, and haven't really changed since they've been here.

wow all those stories puts my to shame in all its nerdiness lol My bestie once asked me if i had an alter ego what would i name it sooo my alter ego would be :gasp: kinda like the kardashian sisters all mixed into one :p so i told her Khloe Dash because i like Khloe best hehe .. when i got Khloe i was watching her in her new cage trying to think of a name and for some odd reason.. maybe her dorkyness in her newfound mansion... I thought Khloe Dash sounds awesome .. & now i see that Khloe is def like my mini alter ego lol if i were a chin :p I also call her Khloe Bear and Pretty Girl :D

Gizmo, Shiloh, Tucker, Luna had their names when I got them so they stayed.

Macy got her name because when I got her, she was named Lil Puff. A member of another forum I'm on had a girlie named Macy. I liked the name Macy so I ask if he cared if I used the name.

MaveRick was orginally called Chester but due to his previous owner stating he was a terror who bit through leather gloves, etc. I decided this little guy need a clean fresh no one knows me kind of start. So he got the MaveRick. I had 2 names stuck in my head (MaveRick and Felix). I ask on another board to help, as well as asking my best friend and he picked MaveRick because of a movie character on Top Gun maybe. I can't remember for sure.

Pip and Squeak got their names because they were born here and when they were still babies, I hadn't named them yet. I wanted to wait until I knew them a bit more. So me and everyone else in the house keep calling them The Pip Squeaks. "Go get the Pip Squeaks." "Come here Pip Squeak." etc etc etc.

Chase was orginally named Willy. Which reminded me of Free Willy who was black and white, where as, Chase was just black. So Willy didn't fit him. lol My favorite TV show is One Tree Hill and there is a character on their named Chase. He was beautiful (Lol), so I named Chase after him. lol

Arwen ~ We love Lord of the Rings, and Arwen is our favorite female character from the triology ;)

Esper ~ Named from Final Fantasy (also called "phantom beasts"...LOL!)

Scully ~ Huge X-Files fans here...was an easy name choice :D

I think my chins have the nerdiest names :p

i haven't owned my own chin (yet! lol), but the one i babysitted for a week was named Gery. maybe her owners played around with the letter arrangement since she was a standard grey?

my foster guy that's coming in the next day or so is named Rhino. perhaps his previous owner watched the movie 'Bolt'? lol. he may just get a name change, depending on how responsive he is to Rhino or not.

When we were going to get a chinchilla we really wanted a mosaic or standard pet quality chinchilla. Instead we came home with a dark ebony with a very nice pedigree. We wanted a name that fit this but was also dark so we chose Edgar after Edgar Allen Poe. A close second was Wallace but we have a friend who is named that and hates it. So officially he's named Edgar Wallace.

When we decided to get Oscar I wanted to continue with names of authors so he's named after Oscar Wilde and his middle name is Dennis. He got Dennis because he's quite the hopper and we wanted him to have a middle name. Oscar's a mosaic.

Jackie, a violet, was going to be Jackson after Jackson Pollack but he'd been beat up by a cage mate and we wanted a lighter name. I am a fan of both Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan so we named him Jackie Chin. Our hope is that he grows into his name by becoming bigger than life like his namesake and most chinchillas. After a month here he's just pushing his limits so it looks like we're finally starting to get there.

I actually hope Handbag's mom posts because I'd love to know how she chose the name. He's the cutest guy and much loved.

My girls are both named after Final Fantasy Espers.
My pink white girl is Shiva. Shiva is the Ice Esper. And my shiva is white and quite skilled at giving the cold shoulder so it fits her quite well.
My little beige girl is Anima *Annie*. She got her name because Anima destroys EVERYTHING. As does my little Annie. Within minutes of a cage cleaning she has everything torn back out and strung all over the cage. I "pick up" her cage probably 5 or 6 times a day.

Handbag was already named when Annie got him from the humane society. ;)

My names run in themes to follow whatever mood I'm in really. The ebonies are all named after horror movies (Norman Bates, Ripley, Rosemary, etc.), the standards are completely random but my theme that gets the most attention is the drug names. I also have trees, gems, coffee, Greek goddesses and random names that fit the chinchillas.

Ruby & Pearl- When I found out from a friend that they were selling their two female kits (and I was convinced I wanted them), I immediately began searching for famous female "paired" names, like "Lucy & Ethel" or other famous TV women. Started on a jewel kick and then it was down to two of the following: "Ruby, Diamond, Saphire, Emerald, etc." I always liked the name Ruby, but then a friend suggested Ruby & Pearl. Sounded like two little old ladies, but really cute together. The names just stuck after that! But it was real fun to decide who was who...Pearl had a slightly grayer nose and was a little darker in the inside of her ears, and Ruby's nose had a slight pinkish tinge to it, along with slightly lighter ears on the inside. So Ruby & Pearl it was! ;)

....RIP my little Pearl. <3 you! 7/1/07-2/9/10...

I tend to name the babies after their parents - so females get names with mom's letter and boys get names with dad's letter - although Porter is so prolific I am running out of P names lol

I might go with a theme this year - what would be a good one?? Someone has an insect one for their blacks...I like that idea possibly....

Latest posts

Back