The name game..what in your chins name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mochi!

I just got her two days ago, and it took me a good 12 hours to settle on that name, but I decided on that for a couple of reasons:

1. It has "chi" in it. It wasn't a name requirement, but I like that it does.
2. It sounds cute. At least, it does to me!
3. I love ice cream!

I have Jaja (black velvet), Jojo (standard grey), and Juju (standard grey). The names just fit their personality. First time I ever picked them up those were the first names to come to mind.
I also have Ginger (beige). Ginger was first named Melon (which we loved that name also cause she's a very hefty chinnie) But her fur coat reminded us of Gingerbread so we named her Ginger.

My chins came with names...but I wasn't quite feeling them. I debated for nearly a month if I should change their names, and after realizing that neither of them really recognized the sound of their name, I just went ahead and changed it.

Kumo (previously Pikachu) is a standard grey with a really cute white tummy and whitish undercoat. I thought those are all very cloud-like colors, so I named him after the Japanese word for cloud.

Susuwatari, whom I call Susu, is a Black Velvet, so she got her name after the funny little dust spirits from the Studio Ghibli movies. I thought it was quite fitting:

484_38024465969_393_a.jpg

20110628dsc0091.jpg

My chin was a birthday present to me, he's a light grey chin he had a name he was given to me it was Beemo I didn't like the name so I renmed him and now his name is Mocha:)
I don't know why I picked that for a name, I just thought it'll sound soooo cute to see him respond to that name:neener:

My little girls name is Rin

I wasn't sure if I was getting a boy or girl when i picked the name so I wanted a name that could go either way. Rin was my choice because of Rin Tin Tin(boy) and Rin Kagamine(girl) who are 2 of my favorite characters. I also later found out rin means Companion in (I believe) Japanese. So from all that I felt it would be the perfect name.

Even though its It's Rin I felt Rin still sounds a little boyish so her full official name is Rinny but I will still call her Rin.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 02, 3 18 18 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 02, 3 18 18 PM.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
i was sure i was the only person to have chins named after final fantasy characters ... shows you how silly i am. my chins came with the names elena and tseng (after the turks in ff7). the thing is, when i found them on the pet adoption sites, it felt like they were destined to be mine, because that is my all time favorite game, and really what are the odds?

Dani

My black velvet girl was named by her breeder, she called her Trinity after the Matrix character because her dark veiling (which wraps pretty deeply around her sides) looks like a trench coat. Trin or trinny is hard for me to say so I end up calling her Fattie due to her rolls and propensity to guard her food bowl. =x

My newish white male is called pebble. He is white with dark king hairs so he looks like marble but he is so small next to fattie that I thought Pebble was more fitting. Oh and he has a rock based name also because when he pet or scratched he freezes and becomes very stiff, like a rock. He is a very silly creature.

My chinchilla is named Dustie for now. I started with this because when I gave her her first dust bath she went inside, rolled around, then came out and shook it all over everyone. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it.

Fuzzy:when we first started to hold her, she left fur all over my shirt, so my little brother called her fuzzy........ And the other, we haven't had the chance to name her...

Puffy: the odd moment when I found my 24 year old boyfriends babytoy "lost" in an old drawer I was cleaning, it kinda looked like a chinchilla. Not to mention Puffy is well....extremely PUFFY!

Boozer: Carlos Boozer, I am from Chicago (Go Bulls!) and he is one of my favorite players.

My first chin was Lucifer from Cinderella. Then when I got my second chin, I wanted a name that related. She was so tiny and innocent that I named her Angel. Lucifer passed away due to heat stroke, and Angel was really depressed, stopped eating and everything. I got her another partner and named him Demon to be ironic, because she's a little monster and he's a sweetie. My new addition, a rescue from my work, is named Balthazar after the demon in the TV show Charmed...ironically, I named him that the first time I saw him around 3 months ago.

My two boys are Chunk and Pericles.

I got Chunk from the pet store and out of the two that were there he was the biggest and the most fluffy, when I brought him home I kept calling him my chunky boy while I was still thinking of names eventually it just stuck.

Pericles is kind of the same story, I got him from a breeder 6months after getting chunk he was already named and I intended to change it after getting him but after I got him I just couldn't change his name it fits him too well because he is a pink-white and is very smart and kind of bossy!

Keeta! I've had him for over 7 years now. I have no idea how old he is since he was adopted from the humane society. I'm not sure where the name came from, but I had a dream about something named Keeta and the next morning, I went to the humane society and adopted him - so the name just stuck.

His adopted brother, Max, passed away. The local chinchilla rescue named him Max because he was a strong guy. He was found in a small cage with other chinchillas in a horse stall. He was the one they all picked on. His ears were all chewed and his tail had to be amputated.

LOL I call Adele chalupa too..not sure why but I do!
My brother refers to my chins as chalupas, as in how are the chalupas doing? Any new chalupas?

I used to name them whatever popped into my head and seemed to fit, but I do themes now. Pure standards are named after plants, beige and brown velvets are given meteorological terms, whites and pink whites after mythological figures, blacks are given allegorical names, and my sapphire lines are named after characters: carriers from TV, possible carriers from literature, and sapphires from Shakespeare.

I had a few names picked out for my chinchilla but most of them were just goofy ones. I love the singer Adele and it means noble. I thought it fit my chinchilla so thats how she got her name :] She loves listening to Adele sing as well haha ;]

Last edited by a moderator:
Buttons and Zipper.
I was having trouble thinking of some names for my two girl chinchillas so i posted a photo of them on instagram and got over 100 replies, in the end i went with what a friend told me and i liked it very much. They said buttons and scruffy but i felt scruffy was a little degrading to the other one so i came up with another fastening mechanism, zipper! so that's my story.

I have 2 girls even though one is called albus/gandalf , its kind of interchangeable, she responds better to Albus but I like calling her Gandalf because she's a standard grey (gandalf the grey) plus they're both magic and I like harry potter and LOTR.
The other is called Tina because of Napoleon dynamites llama/alpaka whatever it is called Tina ("Tina you fat lard come get some dinner") shes the bigger one and funnily enough she eats a lot of food

Latest posts

Back