The name game..what in your chins name?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunkin' - we purchased a girl with him and she was named Donut. Sadly she's moved on.
Momiji - from Fruits Basket (manga/anime) The character is the year of the rabbit and has the same coloring as Momiji
Zipper - Adam named him because of how fast chins move; and later also because of the fly from Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
Altair - from Assassins Creed
Ezio - from Assassins Creed II and Brotherhood. Adam and I just love this game series!!

We have 2 Brown Velvets. One Toblerone, and the other Ghirardelli. We'll probably stick with chocolate names for any future brown velvets.

We adopted our chinnie from Crysta (Essentia) and her original name was Bindi. My daughter decided to change it to Annabelle. There was no particular reasoning behind it, she just liked the name.
My husband insists on calling her "Critter" though, and she really respods to that more than anything else!

I have a trend of naming animals for other animals- the cat's name is Goat, the dog's name is Moose. My first chin was named because it looked like a cross between a rabbit and a squirrel- so we called it Raul. After he passed, it was natural to keep the trend going when I got Flea- He was tiny and bounced around all the time. When I get Tik, I wanted to stay in the same phylum. Plus, he does not move around as much and prefers to hang out in the corners of the cage. Plus Rikki Tikki Tavi was my favorite story growing up, hence the unusual spelling (I know, a mongoose is not a chinchilla). I guess if I got another one, I might name him Mite if it fit him.

I also tend to keep my pet names one syllable, because if I am trying to correct them, it takes to long to stumble over a name like Apollo or frappacino.

Gorilla is lying to you all. He named Tik because he is a serious Ke$ha fan and had to make tribute to her through his chinchilla. As you might have guessed...his favorite song by her is Tik Tok.

Neve, she's white like a snowball, My girlfriend at the time and I are both Italian, so it made sense to name her snow in Italian...

Rob- At first I thought you named her Neve after Neve Campbell. LOL! I like snow in Italian much better!

Chichi- Just something cute that first popped into my head.

Tribble- My boyfriend said Chinchillas looked like Tribbles from Star Trek. LOL.

Tia- Wanted a girl name to be with Tribble. Tia was first in my head.

I have a trend of naming animals for other animals- the cat's name is Goat, the dog's name is Moose.

Me too! I have Chicken, Ham, and Sadie the rabbit... (the babies were Chicken and Biscuit, but Biscuit didn't make it).

My first chin was Snoops because he would snoop around on his belly like a cat, looking left and right before making a move. And when I got Drerock and thought she was a boy, I named her that so I could have SnoopDogg and Dr. Dre. Now that I know she's female, we call her Dre Mama, Madre, or Mama Drama. :)

I have 9 chinchillas and I usually do people names for animals--I'm not a cutesy type of person. 2 of my chinchillas have names that mean something--Mick St. John is my violet boy who's named after the vampire detective Mick St. John from CBS' defunct Moonlight. He's the first pet I've ever named after a tv character--but for those who know me you know what Mick St. John did to me. The other chin I have--Lisa or baby Lisa is a pink white girl I have. She is named after my beautiful sister, Lisa--who died of breast cancer in 2009. I got her as a loving gift from my dear friend Kristy, who knew if I ever had a pink white girl I would name her Lisa--pink for the breast cancer and white for the angel my sister now is. From the second she was born Kristy called her baby Lisa, and even though she's nearly 2, the baby prefix is still there!

I have one chinchilla named Momiji. I named him after my favorite character in an anime called Fruits Basket, and all the characters turn into Chinese zodiac animals, and Momiji turns into a rabbit. I know a rabbit isn't a chinchilla, but I loved the name and the character and in the anime he makes up a little song to sing about himself, which I sing to my chin all the time (it's my signature). This will sound weird but I thought Momiji has a cute, "small" sound to it (Mo-me-jee). Also, it's Japanese for autumn leaves and I got him in October. <3

Gorilla is lying to you all. He named Tik because he is a serious Ke$ha fan and had to make tribute to her through his chinchilla. As you might have guessed...his favorite song by her is Tik Tok.

:laughitup:
That's pretty awesome.

My boys:
Bowie- My first chin (a rescue from CL) is named after David Bowie, who has been my favorite musician for years now. I can't remember if his former owner ever told us his name, but he would have been renamed anyway.

Ziggy- Also a CL rescue and was intended to be a best friend to Bowie, is named after David Bowie's persona Ziggy Stardust. His orginal name was Pepper, and that just wouldn't do! LOL

Dexter and Sam- Came with their names. We got them from AZChins. I briefly considered renaming them, but kept them due to the shows Dexter and True Blood being two faves of mine.

Pirate- Our new boy.. Also from AZChins, he's missing an eye due to his sister kit attacking on day 2 after being born. He's recovered beautifully and the name works pretty well for him. I tried to convince the BF to let me name him Halloween Jack (again a David Bowie name from in his Diamond Dog days and he wore an eyepatch) but he thinks the name is too long. One eyed Willie from Goonies was also briefly considered, but Willie is not really fitting to this guys personality. :)

Great topic!

Leo and Gemini. I was originally going with greek god names...but we couldn't find any that would 'stick' (my cat has a greek goddess name)....notice the theme?...

Anyway....somehow we came up with Leo and Gemini.

I'm picking up two more chins on Friday. We'll keep up with the astrological theme....but I haven't set anything in stone yet.

I named my chinchilla Winston because I wanted to be able to name him a people name, but something I wouldnt name my future child/ren. I thought Winston would produce several cute nicknames, and his has, like win, winnie, wincher the grincher. bahaha. it goes on and on and on.

We adopted our chinnie from Crysta (Essentia) and her original name was Bindi. My daughter decided to change it to Annabelle. There was no particular reasoning behind it, she just liked the name.
My husband insists on calling her "Critter" though, and she really respods to that more than anything else!

Adam calls Dunkin critter, and calls Momiji bunneh. He just walks up and goes BUNNEH! And Momiji looks at him like he's crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a man who won't use names :p

Mine are all named for Dave Matthews Band songs/albums

Tala: "Pantala Naga Pampa"
Raven: "Raven"
Groo (aka Roo): "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King"

Mr. Whiskers -- when I first laid eyes on him and he started whisking me with those amazing whiskers, I blurted out, "Oh ,my God, you are the cutest thing I have ever seen!!! If I could take you back to Denver with me, I'd name you Mr. Whiskers and love you forever!!!"

My Little Snuggler -- when I spotted him escaping from his carrier at my first show, I asked his owner (Riven) if I could hold him. She graciously allowed me to, and he spent the whole afternoon sleeping in my arms or on my lap. He was immediately christened "My Little Snuggler".

Little Two Paws Shakur -- when my rancher friend, Maynard, told me he had "A nice little standard" he'd like me to look at and I said, "No more -- I already have 2 and they are neutered and living happily together again", he intrigued me by saying, "Well, I know you'd give him a good home". When I asked what he meant by that, he replied, "Well, he only has two legs". I asked, "Oh, my God, how does he get around??" Maynard thought about it and replied, "Well, I reckon pretty good". I agreed to take a look at him and if he wasn't too pitiful, that I would take him.

After I got off the phone, I started thinking, "Only 2 paws, poor little thing". From there it was just a hop, skip and a jump to Little Two Paws Shakur. (Don't ask me how a 57 year old woman knew about a dead rap artist named Tupac Shakur, but that little bit of trivia filtered up to the top of my brain and the name stuck.) I knew that even if he was pitiful, he was coming home with me to be spoiled rotten!!! And, believe it or not, he gets around pretty good!!!

Last edited:
I have a trend of naming animals for other animals- the cat's name is Goat, the dog's name is Moose.

I do something similiar with some of my animals. I have a Black cat named Snowball. A solid Gray cat named Whitey. I want a solid white cat so I can name it Spots. haha
My parents cow/bull/thing...is named Freckles. He is black and white, but not really spotted. My grandpa had a bull that I named Snowflake and he was solid black.

Last edited:
Crash's name at the rescue was Patter when he was adopted to be cagemate to my ex's chin Cervantes the Dread Pirate Chinchilla (of the Soul Caliber games). When he had his first playtime in the bathroom, he was completely inexperienced with a tile floor, so instead of slowing down and stopping while running, he'd just stop moving his feet, so he'd slide and-- CRASH into Me, which happens to be one of my favorite Dave Matthews Band songs. His middle name came when my ex and I tried to get him back into his cage. The ex is a fan of "The Emporer's New Groove" and kept saying "No Touchy!" as Crash bolted away. So Crash into Me No-Touchy (Last name) he became.

Champagne Supernova was named Oasis by the people user Chins&Dobermans rescued him from. He didn't seem to like a breeder environment, though, which made me think he might be a good buddy for Crash, and would enjoy being a spoiled pet even if they didn't get along. So when I adopted him, I decided to rename him as well: new home, new start. But at the same time, I liked Oasis, which is another of my favorite bands. Also, since breaking up with the ex, I'd kept the same screen name here even though I wasn't Mommy to the 3 Cs any longer (Cervantes, and Cleo the dog stayed w/ my ex). So as I thought and Thought and THOUGHT on names, I kept coming back to Champagne Supernova by Oasis. Nova is a beige, so sort of a 'champagne' color, and with luck he'll go from being a very shy, watchful chin to a giant explosion of personality-- he'll Supernova if you will. But in the mean time, he's just Nova (or 'no va' which means 'doesn't go' in Spanish, since there's no sign of him leaving any time soon!).

And then, there's YouBe. I went to Humble Acres thinking I'd meet Oasis/Nova and see if I wanted to try introducing him to Crash. But, when surrounded by cute fuzzy animals, what does one do but coo and baby talk and fuss and offer petting through the cage? And out of the blue this bitty, chipmunk-looking standard caged with Oasis started petting me back. I think the first words out of my mouth when I met him were "God, you saw me comin', didn't you?" But I was prepared to take on a second chin; I'd never even considered a third. And yet, here was my dream personality-- outgoing, a little cheeky, cuddly as heck, and a BIGTIME flirt-- in a teeny little gray package. Then I met his momma-- sweet as honey and beautiful to boot-- and his daddy- a spry old man that passed on a little bit of sass- and I was a GONER. I think I spent half an hour on the chin room floor trying to tell myself it was a bad idea, I shouldn't even think about it right before a big move... but no argument could trump those little paws patting my hand and the belly smushed up against my knuckles. So, then, he needed a C name too to make my username accurate again. Cue Bob Marley and the Wailers Could You Be Loved.

"Don't let them fool ya,
Or even try to school ya! Oh, no!
We've got a mind of our own,
So go to #$!! if what you're thinking is not right!
Love would never leave us alone,
A-yin the darkness there must come out to light. "

So my sig line is "My babies Rock" b/c they're all named after rock/pop songs.

I actually hope Handbag's mom posts because I'd love to know how she chose the name. He's the cutest guy and much loved.

Thanks Jazi and ChinnyMom...yes, it is true, Handbag came pre-named from the San Diego Humane Society. But i do promise if I get another...he/she will be named backpack or something to compliment the bag. :D

Back