The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0563.jpg

QUOTE]

what is in that plastic dish there on the bottom by the wheel??

I use a Critter Keeper as their dust bath. Helps keep the dust from going everywhere. It works great. As they come back up the hole the excess dust stays in the Critter Keeper.

Wow your cages put mine too shame. You guys got anyt tips to help my cage look less...messy? :p
And where could i buy well-made fleece covers? (im not good at sewing.)

no no not that.
the plastic dish exactly right behind the wheel.

That's not a plastic dish. That's a large ceramic dog bowl I got from the dollar store, that I use to put kitty litter in for them to pee in. I picked up a few bowls, figuring you can't beat it for $1. I also use them to put hay or alfalfa in.

As far as the fleece work, Annie0 did mine, see's in the Supplies section. For easy cleaning, I recommend fleece and a shop vac.

New to FN Club

Hi everyone, I just set my cage up a few hours ago. I plan on getting 3 inch deep metal pans and replacing all plastic shelves with wooden ledges. Luckily Tiko is not a chewer of plastic but I want the pans to keep the mess in haha. I also want to get some super nice fleece items as I've seen on this thread!
So I know it is nowhere near finished but I am still pretty proud of it so I thought I'd post a "before" picture here :)
I'm new to this so please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 132
Finished

I decided against the metal pans and I am just going to try fleece. He doesn't seem to kick out much poop so far!

I got the fleece from Walmart and put a towel under each layer of fleece. I then clipped it down with metal binder clips. No sewing for me!

I am going to order some more hammocks, a tube, a bridge and a daybed from Camphor Chins and Chintastic soon :)

Also my dad is going to make him more shelves.

Any creative suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 141
I decided against the metal pans and I am just going to try fleece. He doesn't seem to kick out much poop so far!

I got the fleece from Walmart and put a towel under each layer of fleece. I then clipped it down with metal binder clips. No sewing for me!

I am going to order some more hammocks, a tube, a bridge and a daybed from Camphor Chins and Chintastic soon :)

Also my dad is going to make him more shelves.

Any creative suggestions are welcome!

Very nice cage! I'd keep an eye on the binder clips. I know my chins would chew them up. What works really well for me regarding fleece covers is sewing your own. My mom sewed mine and I slip them on and off just like pillow cases.

Great idea with ordering hammocks, a tube, etc from people on here. I got a tube and my chins love it.

If I were you, I'd also get a Chin Spin.

Best thing about using fleece that is sewed to wrap the trays is you can use a dust buster or shop vac to easily clean the cage.

Thanks :) They are actually metal binder clips and he couldn't even get to them anyways since they are against the bars once the cage is closed up. I am loving it still, I just spot clean the poops daily wearing a plastic glove.

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say that I've had my FN cage for about 3 years now and it's still going strong! All 4 wheels are off because 2 broke and I couldn't find replacements. Other than that, great cage. For those currently looking to get one, it's a great investment.

Finally!!

I finally did it!! After years of wanting one and always missing out on the CL deals, I finally broke down and just bought a new one FN. :dance3:

Originally, my girl Herbie was going to be the only one in it but I went ahead and ordered the Bass pan for it and it came today, so I went ahead and separated the two levels and her and my other girl Zoe are in it.

As soon as I find my cord for my camera, I will download the pictures and post them here!!! I can not wait until I get all the fleece stuff I ordered for them too!!

Last edited:
Just picked up my FN today from someone off of craigslist for $80 [=
I want to replace my pans, but I'm not sure if its necessary since they will be covered in fleece the whole time. Either way, I'm a happy camper! ^.^

Hello! I joined the Ferret Nation (141) club. This is my chin's new cage -- I will be redecorating pretty soon -- but she loves it! And so do I. :)
In case you're wondering, there is definitely a water bottle in there. It's on the door for now. ~~

Attachments

• cropped.jpg
    cropped.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 111
I see a lot of people use the FN cages & the fleece covers for the bedding.. does it work well? Do you cover the wood plat forms with it? I was wondering when they use the bathroom if it soaks into the wood or not?
My husband and I are new to Chins & we are using shavings right now but thinking of getting a FN cage so well really will need to use the fleece.

Thanks a bunch!

I just ordered the FN for my soon to be new chin, and I was just wondering if anyone can do me a favor? I need someone to measure the height between the shelf and the bottom of the cage. I was going to look for some jars to store chews and fodd and stuff in so it looks neat, and I need to know how big I can go with them. Thanks in advance!

I see a lot of people use the FN cages & the fleece covers for the bedding.. does it work well? Do you cover the wood plat forms with it? I was wondering when they use the bathroom if it soaks into the wood or not?
My husband and I are new to Chins & we are using shavings right now but thinking of getting a FN cage so well really will need to use the fleece.

Thanks a bunch!

I use bedding in one of my FNs and fleece in the other. It's really just up to you. Do your chins use a litter box? I dont cover my wood ledges with fleece, they like to chew the wood and ledges are easily cleaned.

Finally some pictures! :)

tumblr_m06j4sd24K1rqgimao1_1280.png

tumblr_m06k7tSEJh1rqgimao1_1280.png

tumblr_m06kezCFTm1rqgimao1_1280.png

I'm getting the girls a purple silver surfer wheel and that should go on the bottom story on the left side:)

Latest posts

Back