The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rainey - I feel that excitment. I don't have a car and dispite living in NYC, fleece is really hard to find (you can fins all sort of high end fashion faberic but no fleece). So I need to rent a car to drive (and pay bridge tolls) to buy fleece. So I never do.

What do you think you'll make?

Partygirl, ya I imagine NY would be even harder than Boston! Well so far only one chin uses a liner because he's potty trained, so I'm going to make another backup liner for him and then also make him a mattress for the wooden bed he has. Then I'm definitely making 4 cuddle buddies and if I can figure it out, fleece tunnels for the PVC pipe I have. That seems like the hardest thing to do, but I'm excited to try it out!

For people that learned on their own how to make fleece items, what did you start out with? What should I try to sew first? Granted I don't have a sewing machine..

I love these cages and the set ups, My cage is about that big, but not nearly the incredible set up. I have to find where to buy all the wood boxes and things.

I found four ferret nation cages on facebook (all for $150). I have been doing research on both the ferret nation/critter nation vs Chinchilla Mansion @ Quality Cages. I really like the option to seperate into two cages for cleaning. This is my favorite forum and I just love looking at how everyone has decorated their cages. So many useful ideas. I see more people using fleece vs pine or other bedding. I am going to look at one of these cages in the morning. Wish me luck. Then let the decorating begin!!

Vickie

Just purchased my ferret nation today from Craigslist. Going to order the pans from Bass today, some ledges and a wheel from QC. Can't wait to get it set up!

I am now a member!! I picked up a free Ferret Nation off craigslist this week. I had to take the lower wheel/stand portion off but it was easy a few screws and I was good as gold. Jail Break loves it!!

Well these were taken just after I made the changes to it and set up there is still more that needs to be done
IMAG0401.jpg

IMAG0293.jpg

Of course him chillin on the back of the office chair!

When you get ready, I know a lady that makes awesome houses, swings, beds, toys....I'll hook you up!

Haha! Love it Shooper! :laughitup:
I just put our new FN together this past weekend! The boys are in it and loving it! Just waiting on the new fleece theme to come in to debut it to you guys :thumbsup:

Jailbreakroxxx, That cage looks like a nice size, but I dont think its a Ferret Nation.
I would be worried about that wire flooring, spacing looks kinda big for little chinnie feet. I would suggest covering it in fleece or just taking it out and adding more ledges and shelves. If your chin starts chewing that plastic shelf, that can lead to serious problems. I think that will be a great cage (nomatter what brand it is) after a few modifications are made!

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm a huge proponent of FNs. My chins started 6 years ago in large parrot cages. Then, I discovered these through a friend. I was lucky in that both times I purchased one, Petsmart price matched with an ad from the internet so I didn't have to have it shipped.

I always try to build the shelves so that they stair-step all the way around the cage. How many of you have watched the chins and then moved stuff around and then watched them, and then moved stuff again? There are so many ways to configure the perfect cage set-up.

Here is my latest showing off some brand new liners I just made:
newliners.jpg

The hammock is from Carise Chenault. In the middle of the liners are 12" marble tiles that a contractor got for me.

Jailbreakroxxx, That cage looks like a nice size, but I dont think its a Ferret Nation.
I would be worried about that wire flooring, spacing looks kinda big for little chinnie feet. I would suggest covering it in fleece or just taking it out and adding more ledges and shelves. If your chin starts chewing that plastic shelf, that can lead to serious problems. I think that will be a great cage (nomatter what brand it is) after a few modifications are made!

ya that's a fiesty ferret not an FN :) I used to have one and it was definitely great for one chin. I'd recommend taking out the middle floor when you have some wooden shelves prepared to put in and you're chinny will probably enjoy it much more!

Oh and by the way Sacto....yes I do that all the time! It's so annoying and I'm never satisfied, haha I'm always trying to imagine what it's like from their viewpoint so I can get the spacing right!

Last edited:
well if someone can delete my post that would be great I couldn't find a way too and no need for it since I don't apply sorry

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm a huge proponent of FNs. My chins started 6 years ago in large parrot cages. Then, I discovered these through a friend. I was lucky in that both times I purchased one, Petsmart price matched with an ad from the internet so I didn't have to have it shipped.

I always try to build the shelves so that they stair-step all the way around the cage. How many of you have watched the chins and then moved stuff around and then watched them, and then moved stuff again? There are so many ways to configure the perfect cage set-up.

Here is my latest showing off some brand new liners I just made:
newliners.jpg

The hammock is from Carise Chenault. In the middle of the liners are 12" marble tiles that a contractor got for me.
Very nice setup Tina and the liners are so pretty. I don't use fleece liners, I use shavings but I do have some colourful fleece hammocks, a tube, pillows and some small blankets I put in the hidey houses for the boys to sleep on.

Back