The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm the FN I bought from Petsmart back in January came with fleece ramp covers and has the shallow trays..does this mean it's a 182??

Did it use screws to put it together, or does it snap? If it uses screws it's still a 142. I didn't realize they started the different pans and fleece covers before the 182. If that's the case then really the only thing different with the 182 is the snap together design.

Did it use screws to put it together, or does it snap? If it uses screws it's still a 142. I didn't realize they started the different pans and fleece covers before the 182. If that's the case then really the only thing different with the 182 is the snap together design.

Yep. I was in Petsmart today and was looking at the FN model that was already built as it had the fleece covers. I checked the FN sticker on the cage and it still said it was the 142.

I'm kind of digging the new shelf designs, tho. Instead of being flat, they are indented, therefore (presumably) holding in more poop!
lg-st-shelf.jpg

I'm kind of digging the new shelf designs, tho. Instead of being flat, they are indented, therefore (presumably) holding in more poop!

Even with the indent I still don't see them holding much poop with the way my boys bounce around.:laughitup:

Plus the indent would make them easier to get their teeth on to chew.

Even with the indent I still don't see them holding much poop with the way my boys bounce around.:laughitup:

Whaaat? You have poo flingers too? And here I thought I was the only one! I'm not "special" like my mom said after all.. *sulk* :hilarious:

I wonder how easy it would be to cover the new shelves. I think it said they were drop in on DrFosterSmith.com. It also said you could put two of the shelves together on one level to create another full level, but that makes no sense to me unless someone took out the middle divider and then later changed their mind?

Whaaat? You have poo flingers too? And here I thought I was the only one! I'm not "special" like my mom said after all.. *sulk* :hilarious:

I wonder how easy it would be to cover the new shelves. I think it said they were drop in on DrFosterSmith.com. It also said you could put two of the shelves together on one level to create another full level, but that makes no sense to me unless someone took out the middle divider and then later changed their mind?

You could theoretically make it into 3 (not very stable) levels by putting the 2 shelves together. I would only do that as a temporary emergency measure.

lg-st-shelf.jpg

This is how the trays in my FN looked but mine screwed together and did not snap together..I'm so confused! :wacko: lol I wish I had kept the box/receipt

This is how the trays in my FN looked but mine screwed together and did not snap together..I'm so confused! :wacko: lol I wish I had kept the box/receipt

That is just the new design for the FN142. I got mine about two weeks ago and it screws together, comes with the fleece ramps and has the indented shelves.

I can't speak on whether or not they hold poo better then the old ones as I have never had an old one but Meeka still throws it everywhere. I do notice that it is often under the fleece under along the raised edge so maybe it does help!

I saw these being advertised a while back and thought they looked better than the old pieces of plastic that were on the half shelves. Since someone now has one, how do the new half shelf covers attach to the shelf? The old ones you slipped a corner under the wire, do these have a screw or some other clip?

Obviously I haven't had my girl for long, but I think a lot of the poope that comes out of the cage is from the shelves at higher levels that rolls out (at a distance) when they are jumping.

Obviously I haven't had my girl for long, but I think a lot of the poope that comes out of the cage is from the shelves at higher levels that rolls out (at a distance) when they are jumping.

I definitely agree. I have the 3" deep bass pans for both my FNs and there's still a huge amount of poo that ends up on the floor. However, I've noticed that the poo guards on the ledges help a great deal.

only thing that sucks is that the new shelf and pan covers from Midwest are no good for fuzzbutts, due to them being micro suede and having 'cushioning'.

Kalandra said:
I saw these being advertised a while back and thought they looked better than the old pieces of plastic that were on the half shelves. Since someone now has one, how do the new half shelf covers attach to the shelf? The old ones you slipped a corner under the wire, do these have a screw or some other clip?

well as I said I have no experience with the older versions, but based on your description it seems they are pretty similar/identical as far as how they hook into the side of the cage. i took a picture of the shelf and wire unit, not sure if that helps...

Attachments

• DSC00588.jpg
    DSC00588.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 79
Well, I decided to move Meeka's cage out of my giant bedroom and into my much smaller office because I was having to much trouble keeping my room cool enough! I figured while I was at it I would finally finish up some shelves and a bridge I have been working on and replace the center floor with them. Here's some updated pictures...Meeka is very excited with the new setup!

ps. the hammock is only for reference while I was setting it up, I'm in the middle of sewing an all fleece one as we speak!

Attachments

• DSC00580.jpg
    DSC00580.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00582.jpg
    DSC00582.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 199
I have one of the newer FN's and I HATE the new shelves! I had to take all the shelves out of the cage that holds my trio as they managed to get the fleece that was covering them off and all three shelves became 3 large unsafe chew toys for them, grrr! Luckily I still have some of the old shelves from the older FN's, even though they don't have the deep indent which I had no use for anyway because they were always covered with fleece.

well as I said I have no experience with the older versions, but based on your description it seems they are pretty similar/identical as far as how they hook into the side of the cage. i took a picture of the shelf and wire unit, not sure if that helps...

Looks like the pan drops into the wire part... Now I really want to try one. :banghead: The hook on part looks the same as what is used on the older models. Cute cage setup! That's a spoiled little girl you got. :thumbsup:

Those look different. It does look like the insert drops down into the shelf. The old ones were flat and the edge of the plastic shelf cover had to be inserted under a piece of wire at the corners.

yeah, it does drop down in. it sits maybe a quarter to half inch in the wire hanger and sort of clicks in at the two corners against the cage. i like that they are indented but they arent easy to wrap in fleece. right now i just have a liner that sits on top but Meeka has never chewed any of the plastic thus far nor does she pull them up...knock on wood.

I'll post pictures of my CN since the FN and CN are twins. I just have to finish making their new ledges which are in theoven right as I am typing this! :)

Back