The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question for fleece users;

With the peeing in the litter pan, would you expect that chins that have been kept on wire-bottom cages catch on to using a pan of shavings? With the type of cage I have I can just wrap fleece around the pull out wire grate so it is becoming a more attractive option.

I think it's really hit or miss depending on the chinchilla. My girl never caught on, but my boys, for the most part, are good about going in the litter box.

My FN142 is on the way!!! I just ordered the two pans (one with notch) from Bass Equipment. They were so nice on the phone. I ordered the pans at 3" deep. This added $6.00 to each pan. Total with shipping was approx. $75 dollars.

I am totally excited!!!

I am involved in a future rescue and will eventually put together a matching set up.

Finally got pictures of my work in progress FN!!!
She's currently only in the top level, as we don't have enough shelves/accessories/money to open up both halves. She seems thrilled though. The top alone is already much bigger than her old cage.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1220.jpg
    IMG_1220.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 205
My FN142 was delivered yesterday. My neighbor took it inside her apartment as, of course, I was at work when the FEDEX came.

That sucker is HEAVY!!! She and I couldn't even slide it to the door on her tile floor. Luckily my super was home and he carried it out of her apartment and up 13 steps into my apartment. I was very thankful as I live alone. I would have had to trap some man on the street and ask for help. LOL

My Bass pans came today. That box I can lift. Those were delivered to my workplace. I am going to unwrap them so they are easier to carry to my car.

I will be setting the cage up next week. I am on two days vacation smack in the middle of the week. :thumbsup:

I have also been reading about the pans banging. Luckily I have lots of fleece.

FN142/Flying Saucer Question

I saw yesterday some pics and instructions for attaching a FS to a FN. The pics showed holes drilled in a piece of wood. I understood that the clamps needed to be on the diagonal etc.

Is there any other way to attach a FS to a FN without having that wood there?

I saw yesterday some pics and instructions for attaching a FS to a FN. The pics showed holes drilled in a piece of wood. I understood that the clamps needed to be on the diagonal etc.

Is there any other way to attach a FS to a FN without having that wood there?

Yes, you just attach it directly to the wire. I usually attach it about 3/4 of an inch above the bottom so I can wedge a piece of wood under it to stabilize it. I also make sure to put at least one bolt at a cross between the vertical and horizontal wires. The wood backed method is just for extra stability, but I have found mine stable enough with just the block under the bottom.

Thank you both. I will be working on new cage next Wed. and Thur.
Buying clips for fleece under pans and will get scrap wood too.

Oh you guys and your Ferret Nations!

I was just in the process of psyching myself up to build a giant melamine, (removable) vertically-split cage for my two semi-unbonded boys. I have limited carpentry skills, and I think this thread has just convinced me to go to the dark side. I think at the end of the day it'd cost me just as much as a new FN to construct the melamine one.

I have a very big Martin cage that is currently horizontally split, and I hate it. It looks terrible, and is messy. I know I've seen some people with flying saucers in their 142s. My question is- is it very loud at all attached to those bars? In the Martin cage it sounds, no hyperbole, like a freight train.

Does anyone keep their FN in a low-pile carpeted room? How well does it roll around? I want something at least a little maneuverable, which melamine is not, especially without casters. Am I right in assuming the FNs can fit through your average width doorframe?

I also like the idea of endless customization with the wire bars....drilling into melamine for permanently attached shelves sounds tedious and boring!

I am definitely switching over to fleece liners when I get my FN! My oldest boy (6) will already only pee in a litter box. For the people that use the "pillowcase" method- It seems like a hassle to have to pull out the pan every time you change the liners..? For those who use any other liner method, do you just tuck every edge under the pan? Does it mostly stay?

Oh and hi everyone! I was a member of CnQ, but I did not post much at all. I will go properly introduce myself in the correct forum later.

Keep the FN pics coming- they are inspiring!

I went back like 8 pages and didn't see any pictures of my FN143, so I don't think I posted them. Here's my tower of chins!

IMG_1322.jpg

Up close shots of the cages:

Chula
IMG_1323-1.jpg

Axel
IMG_1324.jpg

Riku & Roxas
IMG_1325.jpg

The toys are missing. I took them out of the cage to put new wood on them and forgot to put them back in before taking the pictures.

is it possible to add the FN143 to the FN142 and have it be connected so my spoiled chins have 3 levels? or is the 143 just meant to be a separate cage that sits on top of the 142 for a space saver?

Yup. You can use it as a 3 level cage. Mine is just the 3 different levels/cages because none of my chins get along.

whoohoo! thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly guys! it's hard to tell from people's photos what's open and what's not, so i figured somebody on here would be able to give me an answer. thanks tagna/essentia!

I am buying a ferret nation cage and am starting from scratch with customizing it for my two boys. I know how to make the custom wood shelves, but dont know about the plastic tray it comes with and the liners ive seen in a lot of these pictures.
How do I make the fleece liners and fleece tubes? Do I need to replace the plastic liner in the bottom or replace it. Is there a pattern for sewing the tubes or liners? Also, how do you attach the liners?

Also, has anyone had trouble with their chins escaping from these cages. I have a cage now with bars just slightly larger than an inch apart and one of my boys is able to squeeze out! I'm hoping the ferret nation will work..

Thanks!!

Laura

Not only have I come over to the FN side but it just dawned on me that if I am going to have to use fleece to keep the Bass pans from banging... I might as well use fleece instead of shavings!!!

Now I am an official member. LOL. I have lots of fleece and am going to put my cage together on Tuesday and Wednesday.

I'm getting sick of shavings anyway. Too messy for me and my sweet girl.

Thank you all for the great info here and I will show off my cage on the weekend. :high5:

Also, has anyone had trouble with their chins escaping from these cages. I have a cage now with bars just slightly larger than an inch apart and one of my boys is able to squeeze out! I'm hoping the ferret nation will work..

I think some people have trouble with kits escaping. The actual open space between two bars is just under an inch. My chins wouldn't even think of squeezing through.

i dont know why I havent thought of taking off the shelve and adding the wheels so that I have room for another 141 on top of the 142.... seems easy enough idea!
Thxs!

Back